Friction driven alternator experiment?

GoldenMotor.com

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
a small generator would be great for a trike,it could power your electric motor,lights,radio and stuff.and it would still be electric power to make it legal. and you wouldnt need 50 batteries to make your trip across town.

geeksquid

Feb 14, 2008
some say they will burn, some say they won't.. I would use it in pulses not for extended time. Like run it on the hills but turn it off going down hill. Kick it on to get the speed up on the flats then let the bike coast some before you bring it back on again. that kind of thing. When i was young stupid and poor I used a household switch for my starter button on an old toyota. So you can use one of those as your on off switch.

Now that part fascinates me. How the starter will work. Those should be very easy to find in almost any town.
Actually, I've seen starters used but it's generally auto generators that are used, not starters, and the insides were rewired somehow. As common as starters are, there must be a reason we don't see them being used more (and they're very heavy). In the 1940s, model T generators were rewired and used on electric vehicles. See the attached pic of part of the 1945 plans for such a machine from the Lejay Manual. It supposedly had a range of 50-75 miles on a charge using one 12v battery. This can still be done but you have to get a Model T generator. They are still out there.

Attachments

Last edited:

geeksquid

Feb 14, 2008
Here's a set of old plans for a scooter (could be adapted to a bike) that specifically calls for a 6v battery as being better than a 12v. It also says not to use a starter motor but use a generator. You actually have to rework the generator and use parts from a starter. The instructions might be a bit difficult for many but could be done. The range on these old electric vehicles was very good because of the methods used. I can only attach 5 files, so will post file 6 in another post.

Attachments

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
I love this post.
This made my day.
http://motorbicycling.com/attachmen...-friction-driven-alternator-experiment-05.jpg

The low and high speed doorbell push buttons.
I really liked the battery charging system .
Just plug it in EH!

Or just LOOK here.
24 VDC 40 A MOTOR SPEED CONTROL | AllElectronics.com

You will also want one of these

24VDC 600W MOTOR, 15T W/CLUTCH | AllElectronics.com

Maybe a twist grip too

TWIST GRIP THROTTLE FOR ELECTRIC BIKE/SCOOTER | AllElectronics.com

A really nice start without some parts like BATTERIES,the charger , the chain as well as the sprocket.

Bucky5

Sep 28, 2009
San Jose, CA
Im on the same page. Im waiting till a efficient generator hub is invented.
Create energy with a generator hub on front.
Power bike with electric motor hub on rear.
Add regulator.
I don't know if I will break even but it makes sense that the bike still functions as a bike. I see alot of examples of a bike on a training stand attached to a generator/alternator. I dont get that.

starrunner

May 12, 2008
vintageboatplans.com
The first law of thermodynamics always applies. That is why this will not work.
You're absolutely right, but every day, at least one of these brainchilds comes up. The one where the front hub generator charges the batteries for the rear hub motor while you're riding is my favorite. And the ones where you put a propeller on the handlebars to charge the batteries is right up there in my faves too. There should be one thread here just for perpetual motion ideas.

jdcburg

Jul 9, 2009
massachusetts
Bucky5 - The exercise bike that uses an alternator/generator is exactly the principle that shows why you can't use your forward movement (front hub) to power your rear hub. The exercise bike puts the electricity it generates through a variable resistor that "eats" the power up. The more resistance that is dialed in, the harder it is to pump the bike. It's the same with a front generator powering a rear hub. Even if was 100% efficient, the power required to turn the rear hub (pushing the bike along) would equal the power that the front hub could generate. It would look like "resistance" to the front hub and the drag that resistance created would equal the power of the rear hub. You could only move by pedaling or going down hill. If you were pedaling on level ground it would require the same energy as pedaling a heavy bike with no motors working. If you were using a battery to store the generated energy as well as to power the rear hub, the battery would discharge at the same rate as if the motor was just driving the bike. In other words, in a 100% efficient system, the drag created by the generator would cause the motor to suck the exact amount of energy out of the battery as the generator was putting in. It is impossible to generate more energy (required to actually move the bike or keep the battery charged) without an external power source such as pedaling, going downhill or a China girl. Of course, neither the motor or generator are 100% efficient, so those losses have to be factored in, making it even more inefficient. Does that make it more clear? - jd