Tuned by ear

GoldenMotor.com

user48067

Dec 16, 2015
To lace the wheel, there are measurements taken of the size of the hub, and rim, to determine the correct length of the spokes that are to be used. It is pretty involved, and I still can't figure out how to apply the math for this task. Then there is the spoke tension, truing the wheel, and putting a offset on the rear rim to center it correctly between the frame of the bike(the front wheel also has this offset if it has disc brakes).If the wheel needs an offset, the spokes are different lengths on each side of the rim. After a few times of trying this, I took mine down to the bike shop and had the genius do it for me.

gooseneck

Nov 27, 2015
concord, ca. usa
I can not wait to attack this art form.
it seems to to be like a musical instrument.
now how does that saying go? "You can tune a piano but can't tuna fish".
.wee.

a_dam

Feb 21, 2009
Momence, IL
I've done a few wheels and each one seems to turn out a little better than the last.

Many were old Schwinn steel "10-speed" rims (27 inch). The factory spokes are prone to breaking, so I relaced the old rims and hubs with quality stainless spokes. These rims are horrible to build because they are usually not very round, especially at the valve hole and the big welded seam. And since they are strong steel, the imperfections are hard to correct with spoke tightening. New, aluminum rims are so much easier to deal with.

I found the Sheldon Brown site helpful. http://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html

One thing I've learned - try to get the wheel trued radially from the start. Usually that means screwing the nipples the same amount; leaving the same number of spoke threads exposed, etc. Its easy to get a wheel straight side-to-side, but if it is out-of-round radially, you will notice it at motor-speeds and it's harder to correct when the spokes are near their final tension.

gooseneck

Nov 27, 2015
concord, ca. usa
a dam thanx for the in depth info.
there is one thing in life i enjoy, doing it the first time and learning, acquiring all the nice tools and completing the the task at hand.
besides it's only bike parts.
wish me luck.

caoboy

Sep 3, 2015
modesto
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-1n--L8Pjs

Go ahead and watch this video...it'll probably blow your mind with how meticulous it is.

That being said, if you have your wheel laced, it can be a pretty penny. Or 10,000 of them.

I guess the good thing is that wheel spokes seem to be cheap...so if you mess up the sizing, grab some more? lol.

As far as tools..Amazon has some good deals between $50-$300. 50 being a cheap 'knockoff' version of park or another bike tool company brand, about $100 for a hobbyist Park Tool wheel truing stand...or I think it was almost $300 for a bike shop Park Tool company wheel truing stand.

Also remember you need a dish gauge to measure the offset of the hub in relation to the rim.

This is something I want to get into, not only to just maintain the wheels, but to build my own and be able to customize the rims to how I need them.

Last edited:

gooseneck

Nov 27, 2015
concord, ca. usa
great video.
i like his wheel balancer/truer he made.
see this is what i,m typing (talking) about, innovation, and plain all out fun.
reminds of fine art.
Thanx Caoboy.

a_dam

Feb 21, 2009
Momence, IL
A decent truing stand for 50 might be worth buying. I use an old frame and some homemade parts. I like to make my own stuff, and will get around to making a truing stand someday.

If you're handy enough to build a wheel, you might try making your own wheelbuilding tools instead of paying for them. That goes especially for a dishing stick. Now don't let anyone tell you that you don't need to worry about a wheel's dish, because someone will. Dish is easy to measure, easy to fix, and easy to have way off if you don't measure. So why build a wheel without checking it?

A homemade dishstick is good for me because I've only built a dozen or so wheels. Now if I had to build 10 wheels every day, I still wouldn't pay for one.

Here's mine made out of lumber scraps and a piece of a spoke for a pointer. With the ends contacting the rim's edge, you slide the pointer to the wheel's locknut. Then check the other side. Should be within a millimeter or two.

Attachments

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
The first time you lace a wheel it is daunting and you may end up taking it all apart and starting over. There are several u tube videos and a good one on the Atomic Zombie site which is the one I always review before doing up a wheel to refresh me little brain. For a truing stand I use a cruiser bike frame upside down in a vise utilizing the dropouts for the rear wheel. It will accept a front wheel or rear. Can't beat the price on this truing stand and setting a screw driver against the frame as you turn the wheel gives you a good idea of both wobble from side to side and whether or not the wheel is true (round). The only specialized tool I use is a bike wrench of the right size for the spoke. Take your time and make the adjustments small ones until you have it true to your satisfaction. The faster you plan to ride the more true it needs to be. If it is a putt putt ride there's no need to get your pants in a bundle worrying that it be perfect. Nothing is perfect. At some point good enough is good enough. You decide.

Be patient and willing to try it again if the lacing or truing doesn't work out first try. There's a lot of satisfaction to be found in building your own wheels, just like building the rest of the ride. The price is right. too.
SB

Blakenstein

Sep 15, 2009
Alta. Canada.
HAPPY NEW YEAR !!! Silverbear. It is good to see you still happening. Ya I like what you said about a good spoke wrench . That is really important . I have now straightened and trued a lot of wheels, and I use the PARK TOOL stand to do that on, but before I had the stand, I would set the bike up on and between 2 chairs, and set the chain off the sprockets, so I could turn the wheel freely both ways.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
And a happy new year to you as well. No matter what tools we have the best ones are still an intention to do things right and the patience to see it through. Stay safe and well up there in Canada.
SB

gooseneck

Nov 27, 2015
concord, ca. usa
"Carbon Fiber spokes have been available, but turned out to be brittle and dangerous. If you bend one, it breaks like uncooked spaghetti! Carbon fiber, aluminum alloy and polycarbonate plastic spokes all have to be thicker than steel spokes, and the added air resistance slows you down more than the weight saving speeds you up -- unless you only ride uphill".
I found this funny as all get out.

gooseneck

Nov 27, 2015
concord, ca. usa
http://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/to...-diy-wheel-building-truing-stand-img_5174.jpg
found this on wheel truing tool images on the net.
I believe you could use just about any material to build your own as long as it stays true,
and does not fold or bend.
I'm almost finished with my home made Dish Tool, I just have to figure out the one hand adjustment center point part, I have a few ideas, and hoping the spring loaded version
works.
anyways back to R&D.

Last edited:

gooseneck

Nov 27, 2015
concord, ca. usa
well I hope I can take it, so I can dish it out.
started with these earlier in the day, the rest fell into play.

it's spring loaded.

Adjustable to fit 12" through 29" wheels.
first thing in the mourn is to actually start my very first lacing experiment.
front first.
it must be Dishing season.dnut

Last edited: