Got my CA M permit.

GoldenMotor.com

capturedbyrobots

Jul 24, 2008
Went to get the M2 permit,
and I had to take the written test....
Motorcycle or Moped (M1 or M2) didn't matter, same written test.
This seems to be BS for me,
because why would anyone driving a moped need to know about shifting?
Word to the wise,
You might have to take the class C written again.
I did for some reason, even though my class C was good til 2012.
Luckily I passed that as well. (remember, smoking with kids in the car is illegal in CA)

I ended up passing both and it cost me $28 (I think), but the questions were so vague.
Always one answer that's wrong, and then 2 answers that are "maybes"
Even if both answers are true, you need to pick the one that is "true-er"

I was told that during the driving test, I need to tell them whether or not I want
the M1 or M2.

It seems silly not to get the M1 then, and just take the driving test on a 50cc scooter.
I don't plan on ever riding a real motorcycle,
but you need the M1 for anything without pedals, so why not?

Got a Chinese horn/turn signal/brake light assembly for about $12 on Ebay, and it's
pretty cool (big boxy signals that use LEDs)

Time to fix her up and go riding now...

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
Congratulations. Where I live in Ohio (a state that tries to replicate much of California's laws)
we just have the "M" for motorcycle designation that goes on the back of our operators license. Mopeds or bicycles with helper motors seem to be exempt of this requirement.

When I took my motorcycle driving course test I noticed many guys showed up on big
Harley's etc but one drove a pickup truck with a little 50cc Honda motorbike which they all used
to take their driven test on. The course is like a maze on a tennis court where you are only
allowed to touch the ground with your foot three times before you disqualified. There were small
styrofoam cups with caps weighted with sand to serve as pylons as you go the crazy course with
observers in about 3 places watching closely. When going around the last pylon the third
observer signaled to give it full throttle to the stop line and then slam on the brakes to come to
an immediate stop. (which was measured and recorded for the stopping distance of one's bike)

I noticed the guys with the Harley's had a small map someone had made for them of the course.
They had drawn colored circles around the tricky spots and had studied it well. I'm guessing
they had even laid out a course just like it on a closed super market parking lot to practice on.
But I made it thru on my 500cc bike just fine.

Was your qualification course similar to this ?

Can you tell us more about the horn/turnsignals/brake light you got on eBay ? Is there a makers
name on it ?

capturedbyrobots

Jul 24, 2008

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Will they let you get your MC license with a 50cc scooter? here in CO you don't need a special license for a 50cc scooter, but to get your MC license you have to be riding something with more than 50cc's during the test.

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
When I was talking to the bikers with the Harleys one of them told me that it's
nearly impossible to operate a chopper thru that course. That's why they brought
the little 50cc in the pickup. If 50's weren't permitted for being too small, they would
likely go to 75 or 90 etc.

I don't think the officers at the course blamed them for making the switch as the law
wasn't specific as to what you had to take the test on. Just pass the test and get
the "M" rating and then go ride whatever you want.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
I would hate to do one of those courses on a big bike. They have a good idea doing it with little bikes if they can. Since we have to have >50cc to get the M endorsement, I will just use a 150 or something here when it comes time for me to get my license.

Just like when getting your drivers license and they make you parallel park - leave the big worthless monster truck at home and bring the smallest car you have access to :)

capturedbyrobots

Jul 24, 2008
I got skills!

Took the M1 skills test on a Honda Elite 80 today and passed. Hooray!
Put up an ad on CL to use a scooter for the test
and this guy responded for me to use his for $50 with one practice session a few days before.
Totally worth it since I couldn't take the M on my MB because it isn't isn't insured,
and I wanted the M1 anyways.
Anyone in the Bay area want this guys info, I'll pass it along because he was super cool.
He was in Oakland near the Oakland/Claremont DMV.

If you do not have insurance, don't bother trying to use your MB for the M skills test.
You need it for them to let you take the test.
They asked for it like 3 times.
Oh, and a horn. She turned away a woman on a harley because she didn't have a horn. Had to reschedule.

Turn signals she didn't care about that much, as long as you know the hand signals.

The test was tricky, but since I had practiced a few times and on another day at my local DMV,
it wasn't too hard.

Oh, one more thing I've learned.
If you get the M permit, your class C license is then tied up in limbo with the M until you pass the skills test.
I found out my class C license was expired as they only give you 2 months
to take the skills before the temp class C runs out. It was good until 2012 before
this mess, but somehow now it had expired?
I guess they want folks to just take the skills test and pass
and tying up the Class C is a good way to light a fire under your ass to take the skills test...
I was just going to live with the permit, but once I found out that BS about the
expired C, I had to move on this.

Now it's all done, and I'm mostly legal. Whew.....
What a relief.dance1

Last edited:

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
here in ny:
motorcycle = motorcycle license reg and insurance
>50cc moped or scooter = regular car license and registration only
bike with engine(not really legal,pretend to peddal) = i guess u dont need one then
electric bike(not legal,but no one cares) = no license needed
electric kids scooter(nope not legal,just stay on the sidewalk) = no license needed