Orange Coast Chopper

GoldenMotor.com

BrettMavriK

Oct 3, 2008
Tampa Bay, FL
Workin' Out The Gremlins....

I posted this elsewhere, but the developments may help other people in their builds, so I'll post it here as well.

Been addressing the shifter/chain jump problems with the chopper.

First off, I welded in braces from the top rear wheel cage hoop to the bottom and put a top gusset on the pivot tabs. This rid all but a very slight sideways deflection in the pivot action so now it is under control. Next was the chain misalignment issue from the freewheel to the jack shaft sprocket that made the chain want to grind the sprocket and/or jump off completely when in 4th or 5th. I went over to Creative Engineering with an idea for the now dual swing arm chain tensioner/idlers. They needed to be able to push the chain over to be more inline with the jack shaft drive sprocket. The idlers came with an ABS "spur" sprocket that just weren't enough to hold the chain in position because they rode inside the chain. My idea was to have slotted idler wheels to capture the chain on the idler arms. They needed to be deep with a high enough wall so the chain couldn't ride out when they pushed on the sidewall of the chain.
So Jim and I worked toward a solution. Next he grabbed a couple pieces of black ABS plastic and cranked up the lathe after some careful measurement.
The result was awesome. Two ABS idler wheels that looked like they'd really control the chain well. Took it for a test run to see if they'd work. Oh yeah, I also put on a much better derailer.
Bingo!
All 5 gears up and down the dial, no grinding or chain jump. These wheels were the cure for my glitch. If anyone could use these wheels for their setup, give Jim a buzz. They would have a multitude of applications.
Here's some photos of the slotted idler wheels and my other mods'...
Big Thanks, Jimbo!

Attachments

MotorGator

Oct 24, 2008
Gainesville FL
The chopper is sweet Brett. What you have accomplished in the length of time.....is impressive.

Pictures from the first St. Pete run here:
Picasa Web Albums - Dave_Fla - St Pete_013109

I put them in Google Picasa for ease of viewing and sharing. Feel free to post comments on the pictures (anybody).

I am looking forward to the next Florida ride on 2/21/09.

MotorGator (Gainesville FL)

BrettMavriK

Oct 3, 2008
Tampa Bay, FL
Hey Thanks, man.
I think I have the kinks all out finally.
Now I am just tuning the expansion chamber exhaust and playing with gear ratios.

I can't wait to have a smoother ride this time out.
'BrettMavriK

The chopper is sweet Brett. What you have accomplished in the length of time.....is impressive.

Pictures from the first St. Pete run here:
Picasa Web Albums - Dave_Fla - St Pete_013109

I put them in Google Picasa for ease of viewing and sharing. Feel free to post comments on the pictures (anybody).

I am looking forward to the next Florida ride on 2/21/09.

MotorGator (Gainesville FL)

BrettMavriK

Oct 3, 2008
Tampa Bay, FL
Just raised it a little further with a Springer Front Fork, a unrestricting hush exhaust that still rumbles, and all l.e.d. turn signals, brake and tail lights to go with the 3 watt headlight.
she rides like I'm on a hammock in the breeze at 44 mph

'BrettMavriK

Attachments

BrettMavriK

Oct 3, 2008
Tampa Bay, FL
The Orange Coast Chopper was my first try at a motorized bicycle.
I was a great exercise in creativity and mechanical ability for me.
My thinking back then was, this was a bicycle with a motor.
So I skewed things a bit and like a chopper it became; but still a bicycle.

I've evolved a little since then. My new thinking is, this a motorcycle
with pedals. And so this new build began.

Attachments

Last edited:

jose Pinto

Aug 29, 2010
Portugal
Re: Workin' Out The Gremlins....

I posted this elsewhere, but the developments may help other people in their builds, so I'll post it here as well.

Been addressing the shifter/chain jump problems with the chopper.

First off, I welded in braces from the top rear wheel cage hoop to the bottom and put a top gusset on the pivot tabs. This rid all but a very slight sideways deflection in the pivot action so now it is under control. Next was the chain misalignment issue from the freewheel to the jack shaft sprocket that made the chain want to grind the sprocket and/or jump off completely when in 4th or 5th. I went over to Creative Engineering with an idea for the now dual swing arm chain tensioner/idlers. They needed to be able to push the chain over to be more inline with the jack shaft drive sprocket. The idlers came with an ABS "spur" sprocket that just weren't enough to hold the chain in position because they rode inside the chain. My idea was to have slotted idler wheels to capture the chain on the idler arms. They needed to be deep with a high enough wall so the chain couldn't ride out when they pushed on the sidewall of the chain.
So Jim and I worked toward a solution. Next he grabbed a couple pieces of black ABS plastic and cranked up the lathe after some careful measurement.
The result was awesome. Two ABS idler wheels that looked like they'd really control the chain well. Took it for a test run to see if they'd work. Oh yeah, I also put on a much better derailer.
Bingo!
All 5 gears up and down the dial, no grinding or chain jump. These wheels were the cure for my glitch. If anyone could use these wheels for their setup, give Jim a buzz. They would have a multitude of applications.
Here's some photos of the slotted idler wheels and my other mods'...
Big Thanks, Jimbo!
Good Day, I congratulate the great project presented is very very good. I have only one doubt that much liked me explain that his friend, and most important of the issue as the engine starts? I think the dual wheel lets you start with live not crank? I am very grateful for the information, and if not too much to ask where you bought the dual freewheel