Coaster brakes

GoldenMotor.com

Toothy

Mar 25, 2014
San Diego
Is there a way to beef up the coaster brakes stopping power? I thought about enhancing the grooves in the shoes with a dremel type tool. I did read that those grooves main function is to wick away the grease when stopping so that may not work. I do have front and rear breaks but I have found the coaster to be handy.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
"Handy" is relative. As a man who has put over 100,000 miles on bicycle, I find coaster brakes to be completely amateur and asinine.

Just my opinion. I don't consider myself an elitist, but I think coaster brakes are dangerous and have no place on a motorized bicycle.

If you want to "beef up" stopping power, get real brakes. Mind you, again, this is my opinion.

Toothy

Mar 25, 2014
San Diego
I do have real breaks. If I have a coaster break anyway I was hoping to make it more effective....thats all. I do agree that if all you have is a coaster you could gt into trouble.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I sure do see what you're trying to do. But I doubt if deeper grooves would get you anywhere.

Perhaps there is some optimum groove depth/width. But it's hard to imagine how that might be determined.

But, then, I'm no engineers. And a resourceful tinkerer might make some progress while I'm using up time thinking, "Naah....I doubt if it can be done..".

Just don't cut those grooves too deep, okay?

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
The majority of the bikes I build have coaster brakes, (& front brakes)... I love them & I rarely have problems with them.

I would advise anyone who chooses to use one, to disassemble it & pack it with good grease as a mandatory part of their MB building process... (whether it's new or used)! ;)