Just to save

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
me from leaning to lace spokes, has anyone ever put a 1.95 tire on the wheel of a 1 7/8 tire... IE the english 3speed rim. I'm thinking I might change out the tire, then stick it on a masculine frame for the junk yard build.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Yes, my Military bike was the thin "10 speed type" rims. I used the 1.95's with no problem.

The wheels also held up just fine for the 500+ miles I rode it before it was sold.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Man I really do appreciate that. I was dreading pulling that wheel, doing the reinstall and then maybe having to pull it again. Once is more than enough with the cable of the three speed to worry about. It is a bit rusty don't you know. I screws so it should be okay, I just don't want to do it needlessly.

ocscully

Jan 6, 2008
Orange County, CA
me from leaning to lace spokes, has anyone ever put a 1.95 tire on the wheel of a 1 7/8 tire... IE the english 3speed rim. I'm thinking I might change out the tire, then stick it on a masculine frame for the junk yard build.
I think you are going to find that the rims are incompatable. 26X1&3/8 are ISO 590 mm and modern MTB rims are ISO 559 mm The tires will not interchange.

I also think that you will find that there is not enough room for the fatter tires to fit in your frameset even if you do rebuild the wheel with an MTB rim>

ocscully

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Wrong size is the winner. That darn thing is at least an inch larger then a 26 inch tire. It wouldn't even come close to fitting. Now we all know for sure.. DO NOT buy that size wheel unless you just like to feel every leaf in the road. cause you can't add a better tire.