How-to: Servicing a coaster hub.

GoldenMotor.com

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I posted about this in another thread, but thought it was more relevant here, so I decided to start a new thread. If the mods agree with what I'm saying here, perhaps it could be made a sticky. Anyway, here is how I service my coaster hubs, no problems with this method in 2 years now. Those cone bearings can be a pita. Here is what I do when I service my hubs. Actually just did this a few days ago, so its fresh in my memory lol. I disassemble the hub completely and wipe off the old grease the best I can. Then I take the axle and slather grease on the cone next to the brake arm. Slide that bearing on, then slather grease on the bearing. Set it to the side and pick up the pedal cog. Same procedure, slather grease on the cone, slide the bearing on, slather the bearing in grease. Slather the inner bearing race with grease and place that bearing in. Carefully set to the side and then pick up the axle again. Slide the brake clutch on and smear some grease on it (helps keep the brake shoes from moving around during reassembly). Then put the brake shoes on and smear a little grease on it. Slide the axle into the hub, and hold the brake arm. Pick up the pedal cog and screw it into the brake clutch. Hold everything tight while threading the bearing cone on. Tighten it finger tight. Then the locking nut, and get the locking nut on as tight as I possibly can, but with fingers ONLY. Then I place the wheel in the dropouts and slide the brake arm up to the strap that holds it in place (some frames have a welded on bracket, mine happens not to). I attach the nut and bolt that holds the brake arm, but dont tighten it completely yet. I then slide the wheel to the right to tension the pedal chain and tighten the right side axle nut. I squeeze something between the brake arm and the frame to keep the brake arm from torquing around while tightening the axle nuts. Once the right axle nut is tight, I center the wheel and tighten the left axle nut. Then I tighten the nut and bolt that holds the brake arm in place. Never had a problem with a loose axle doing it this way.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Since no one has had anything to add to this thread in over a month, I'm going to assume that no one disagrees with it. I think this is important knowledge for anyone new to coaster brakes. I would like to politely ask the mods to make this a sticky, so that anyone that needs this information can be referred here.

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
BBB- This would have been very helpful to me a couple months ago. I looked, but being inexperienced with computers, couldn't find the information I needed. The language you've used in the title would've gotten me to that info. Some standard, or uniformity in descriptions might help others as well. Thanks!

(Right before you say you place the wheel in the dropouts, you failed to mention stringing the chains. It would probably only matter to a newbie, but I thought I'd mention it.)