Got me a Suzuki SP 370 Triple Tree Crown

GoldenMotor.com

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Hopefully I will have at least 5.5" between the left and right posts cause I'm going XXXL on the tire going between those 2 posts. 26"x 4.8" to be exact. If not then I just wasted $9 on eBay. LOL

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
I have to ask, why so wide?
A lot of reasons. You ready? Here we go. LOL

1. High speed stability.
2. The absolute destruction of potholes, ruts, ripples, manhole covers, speed bumps, fault lines and anything else you would encounter on third world city streets.
3. Overall rider comfort at less PSI than would normally be needed.
4. Load carrying capacity that will at least double using half the PSI. (bike frame/forks will also need to be able to handle any extra load as well)
5. Off road ability, snow, sand and anything else that would normally stop a skinny tire in it's tracks.
6. Size of the Contact Patch with the road. At high speed, the more rubber meeting the road is better unless of course you have to pedal.
7. Last but not least, the ability to run head on into a street curb at 5-10mph and just run over it like it wasn't even there. LOL

Last edited:

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
got ya! How wide is the rear?
The rear tire, when I get done Frankensteining the chain and seat stays, will be the exact same size. I've experienced high speed biking with 2.1", 2.3" and 3" skinny tires and the 3" were much better.......but not good enough for Los Angeles's crap streets. At night, where my light really doesn't illuminate ground, it was almost suicidal. I just hung on for dear life and hoped for the best, going down steep dark streets at 45+mph like I was immortal. LMAO

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Makes sense, should be a good look with those on there. Roads here suck too! I dont plan on riding at night.
My bike as it is now is amazing on smooth roads. You could ride it forever in comfort and stability at speed, but it all goes to h3ll in a hand basket as soon as the roads deteriorate. In L.A. that occurs as soon as you pull out of your driveway. I plan on changing that reality around just a bit. LOL

Last edited:

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
I'm very interested... Looks like it will be good
You and me both. I'm tired of the roads beating up my bike and rattling my molars loose in the process. It's time for a little payback. LOL

Most motorized bikers never feel what I feel because of my bikes extreme weight. The damage gravity and bad roads has inflicted on my bike has gone up exponentially as the weight has increased.

Len455

Mar 11, 2012
Phoenix az
If you do it for a decent price I may have to follow your lead and build me one like your planning on. I would love to put some motorcycle tires on mine, would be great here in the Arizona desert.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
If you do it for a decent price I may have to follow your lead and build me one like your planning on. I would love to put some motorcycle tires on mine, would be great here in the Arizona desert.
I just need to brush up on my welding skills, of which I have none, to do a chainstay/seatstay modification. LOL

This here is all the bike frame parts you could ask for.

http://www.cycle-frames.com/bicycle-frame-tubing/home.php

This here is for prebuilt wheels to mount the tires on. Maybe cheaper than the motorcycle route. I'm not sure.

http://www.choppersus.com/store/category/3/82/Custom-Super-Fat-Wheels/

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
It's not that hard to modify that back area, check out the fat tire I put on my last build. Chopped the chain stay and opened her up.... Welded in a plate... Done.... Well it really was not that easy.

I must say you are never done with that bike. Buy that alternator and I will design a system to have it operate even at idle. Let me know...

Btw... That was a nice day at Venice beach... Good talking to you...

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
It's not that hard to modify that back area, check out the fat tire I put on my last build. Chopped the chain stay and opened her up.... Welded in a plate... Done.... Well it really was not that easy.

I must say you are never done with that bike. Buy that alternator and I will design a system to have it operate even at idle. Let me know...

I may need your help with the frame mod as well, whatever the cost. I'm just not sure how much of a natural welder I am or am not.

I won't be done/happy with that bike until I'm comfortable riding L.A. streets, regardless of the road or traffic conditions or how far I have to ride on my batteries before they die on me. I'm getting close but I'm still not comfortable with it's ride or battery range. I did make it to Maywood and then down to the SoCal Swap Meet and back without incident. Still had almost half my battery power left. LOL

The 400 watt inverter is already on it's way. Then I'll get that alternator.

Nice talking to you to Jeff.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles

I want to be in control of my bike at high speeds while riding on poor road conditions and right now, I'm not in control. I'm just holding on for dear life basically. That's how it feels to me anyway, that I'm just along for the ride at that point. I don't like that feeling one bit. LOL

I've ridden motorcycles and scooters and I always felt like I was in control of the bike no matter the road conditions as long as my speed was kept in check, and the roads were dry and paved. I want that with feeling my motorized bicycle.

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
heavy bikes are hard on tires too :(
mine weighs approx 140lbs and eats supposedly long-wearing tires (serfas drifters) in about 1000 miles
(that sucks when you have a $0 budget)

the plus of a heavy bike, to me, is the stability it affords in gusty conditions

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
heavy bikes are hard on tires too :(
mine weighs approx 140lbs and eats supposedly long-wearing tires (serfas drifters) in about 1000 miles
(that sucks when you have a $0 budget)

the plus of a heavy bike, to me, is the stability it affords in gusty conditions
All the weight is in the back of my bike and my back tire is nearly bald. Air pressure is at 60+ PSI because of that weight. I have zero cushion in the back. I hit the smallest bump or hole and it feels like my teeth are coming out of my head. LOL

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Just got my triple tree crown in the mail today and it is exactly 5.5" between the posts. 1.5" post diameter. 1" steerer tube diameter.

It's gonna be close with a front disc installed but I think it will fit a 4.8" wide tire without rubbing.

It's in pretty good shape for $9 and about 35 years old. LOL

My current steerer tube on my bike is attached to my forks by nothing more than 2 bolts. I'm gonna try and use that existing tube and save myself from a migraine.

Last edited: