Has anyone done West Coast Chopper

GoldenMotor.com

countryboy1958

Oct 10, 2008
New York State
I'm looking to find out if anyone out there has put china girl on a WEST COAST CHOPPER bicycle yet. The one that is chrome and has Jesse James name on it.
Thanks
Frank

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Yes,

Brett Mavrik,

One of my local clutch customers is doing a build on this frame. He's very knowledgeable, and an expert fabricator.

I bought a well worn Jesse James a few weeks ago but I haven't had time to look at it as far as a motor install goes. We've been really busy building Radar enclosures.

Jim

countryboy1958

Oct 10, 2008
New York State
ok thanks Jim
Well I've got 1 of those frames and my motor kit is on it's way.
It should be to me by 11,19,08.
So I'll check it out and let you know.
But in the mean time if you get any word on the mounting of motor
please feel free to let me know any of your ideas.

my email addy is [email protected]

Thanks

Frank

BrettMavriK

Oct 3, 2008
Tampa Bay, FL
Hey there, Frank.
I'm in the process of doing a West Coast Chopper / Orange County Chopper hybrid. I'm melding the back half of the OCC to the WCC front half, so I can utilize the OCC 4.25" rear tire. I've found the Jesse bike a little too small in leg stretch , but I love its' neck height, rise and rake. So my bike will receive a little stretch in the fusion as well, because I'm also adding a reverse cantilever swing arm shock set up with the OCC rear wheel cage. I'm also building my own jack shaft so I can put a Sturmey Archer 3 speed to the OCC rear wheel hub. A springer front fork is in the works as well.

Look up "My Orange Coast Chopper Build".
Let me know if I can help. I'm also stretching another OCC Stingray that will have a 3 speed, but rigid frame and a spring loaded seat.
Have an excellent build, man.
'BrettMavriK

ok thanks Jim
Well I've got 1 of those frames and my motor kit is on it's way.
It should be to me by 11,19,08.
So I'll check it out and let you know.
But in the mean time if you get any word on the mounting of motor
please feel free to let me know any of your ideas.

my email addy is [email protected]

Thanks

Frank

jimmybking

Nov 10, 2008
ohio
ive also got a motor on the way to put on a jesse james chopper. if you look for motor mounts on bay, there is a guy who builds motor mounts. i dont know how much they sell for, but the last time i checked it was like 50 bucks. but it looks like it would work. i wondering if ill have to get a second chain. what do you think?

countryboy1958

Oct 10, 2008
New York State
jimmybking
I'm not sure myself yet about the extra chain.
I haven't started my build yet.
I have done 2 of the OCC Choppers and with them u do need
extra chain. Also with OCC Choppers u need special motor mount
and rear sprocket adapter.
Let me know and I'll send photos of the 2 OCC's that I have done.

countryboy1958

Oct 10, 2008
New York State
BrettMavrik
I've checked out your (My Orange Coast Chopper Build).
Man that is real cool looking, I hope to see the completed
photo when your finished.
But as for me I don't have any welders or stuff like that
so I'm pretty limited on just the kind of build I can do.

BrettMavriK

Oct 3, 2008
Tampa Bay, FL
Thanks, man.

Yeah, my build is definitely not a "bolt-on" affair. I'm pushing the limits on what I can do mechanically and artistically. I can mig, tig, and fabricate. I plan on this particular bike to be my prototype for a future production run of 3 speed choppers with front and rear suspensions. I will start building frames off my own jig and also using all new parts from front to back. Then come all the options like springer front ends, leather seats, billet l.e.d. lights with turn signals brake and tail, saddlebags, whitewalls, candy powder coat, etc. I can't leave anything alone without tricking it out, so motorized chopper bicycles are right up my alley. I'm having alot of fun with the research, creation, and fabrication. That is half the journey for me.
Then comes the joy of riding the result.

'BrettMavriK

BrettMavrik
I've checked out your (My Orange Coast Chopper Build).
Man that is real cool looking, I hope to see the completed
photo when your finished.
But as for me I don't have any welders or stuff like that
so I'm pretty limited on just the kind of build I can do.

jimmybking

Nov 10, 2008
ohio
hay my motor came today. I was wondering what you were talking about with the rear sprocket adapter for the other choppers? Ive been just looking at how im going to put the motor on and I think im going to get the schwinn motor mount from ebay, i think it will work if i hack saw the pipe that holds the seat off.

BrettMavriK

Oct 3, 2008
Tampa Bay, FL
Yep, that's one way to do it. Just make sure to leave at least 2 inches to counteract the leverage exerted from your body to the frame in that spot.
The bottom tube of the WCC bike isn't straight like the OCC bike, and the depending on the kit you buy, the u-bolt spacing is made for the 2.5" wide oblong bottom tube of the OCC. This mount is great for someone who has an OCC bike and no fabrication skills, but in all honesty, you could take your WCC to a competent welding shop somewhere and have something fabricated to fit your WCC bike properly for cheaper. (how much is that piece again?)
How about making another slit on the bottom of the seat post tube, adding a seat post clamp and pushing another seat post all the way down and clamping it into place for the motor to attach to? Then adding a block to the other side to meet the motor.
Tell you what, I have a mint condition WCC bike that is chrome that I literally just pulled from the box and put together. I don't want to weld on the frame because of the chroming getting ruined, or I'm going to take it to get the chrome removed so I can. I will take a look at it and see if I can come up with something to make it "bolt-on".

'BrettMavriK

hay my motor came today. I was wondering what you were talking about with the rear sprocket adapter for the other choppers? Ive been just looking at how im going to put the motor on and I think im going to get the schwinn motor mount from ebay, i think it will work if i hack saw the pipe that holds the seat off.

jimmybking

Nov 10, 2008
ohio
well i just got the motor mount from ebay, and it works good but ive got to bend the crank to go around the motor. but the real problem is the back wheel, i havent figured out a way to use it, because it has a ton of spokes and a coaster break so i cant really mount the sprocket on it. so i think im going to get a regular freewheel wheel and just put the big tire on it.

jimmybking

Nov 10, 2008
ohio
hi guys, i need some more ideas. my chain is rubbing the top and bottom of my motor, any ideas? also ive put washers behind the new sprocket, do you think this will effect anything?

Attachments

Shrek

Aug 17, 2010
Portland
auflgHey guys, looks like the last post on here was a few years ago so I'm a lil behind.
I stated my own wcc project last june, and am still working a few bugs out. But in fairness I am no mechanic.
I'm trying to figure out how to get my pictures on here. I got help from a welder buddy and a mechanic pal.

I pressurized the mock tank making it functional. Welded some tubes onto the frame to mount the motor. Ended up having to drop the wcc tires to go with the old school schwinn racing tires to have clearance from both chains. Now a buddy is telling me I can swap out the heavy duty chain I have for the motor giving me enough room to put the wcc tires back on. I ended having handle bars welded together for and exhuast pipe and had to run the pedal chain on tentioners around the motor so pedaling is a huge pain in the ass and going up hill just pedaling is not happening.

My biggest problem with this bike is getting the carborator to sit at the right angel. I've cut and used appoxy to reangle the intake valve, but I think I need to cut and weld it. But true battle has been figuring out the right adjustments for the float valve. It's either I'm not giving it enough gas or I'm flooding it and it leaks everywhere. I believe once I figure this out the motor won't die when I come to a stop or rev up really high when I pull the clutch.

If anyone has any insight it would be much appreciated.

I would very much like to pick brett mavrik's brain. Lots of questions, like how and where he gets his awesome saddles and tanks and whatnot.

Shrek

Aug 17, 2010
Portland
I figured out how to create an album. You can see some of my progress but I need to take more pictures.