Performance Exhaust/Sprocket?

GoldenMotor.com

SyedStreet

Jan 7, 2013
texas
So im thinking about ordering a performance exhaust as my first upgrade for speed...which one do ya'll recommend? Im new to motorbikes...

http://speeddemon.ca/motorized-bicycles/parts/expansion-chamber-muffler-black.html

or

http://www.sickbikeparts.com/catalo...ducts_id=83&osCsid=bq87168lco01opqhfgde99s423

plus i currently own a thruster fixie (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Thruster-700c-Men-s-Fixie-Bike/17206771) it comes with an extra 18 tooth sprocket attached firmly to the rear axle so i was wondering if i could attach the motor chain to the 18 tooth instead of the stock sprocket that comes with the motor kit?? ( i know i would have to take off at a greater speed but it would be better than killing my spokes>)

Thank you!!! very Much Appreciated!!!!
xct2

SpeedWizzard

Mar 9, 2012
Australia
First of all i would break the motor in good, then think about performance upgrades. one can gain a lot just by port matching and making sure theres no slag in the exhaust and the gasket isn't blocking the transfer ports. Also i wouldn't go with the fixie, at all. They are made for light weight not strength so it would be a bad idea (learnt from experience) to do that, not to mention the drive sprocket of the motor is on the left hand side so you couldn't mount it to the pedal sprocket as you wanted to, if you really are worried about damaging spokes on your bike you can get a sprocket adapter from a few websites (piratecycles) and you would have to either remove the pedal chain (illegal) or lift your legs up in the air every time you ride.
Hope this helps.

SyedStreet

Jan 7, 2013
texas
Bro first of all I really appreciate the help....I'm actually planning to attach the motorchain to the rear left back wheel axle( would the 18 tooth work?)(if not then I'm planning seperating the an old multigear bike sprocket and use one from those? ...plus this bike is light but quiet sturdy from frame which should probably make it run faster... I will defiantly use the tips.... Thanks much again!

SpeedWizzard

Mar 9, 2012
Australia
i don't think it would work with the 18th and no not without a jackshaft or something the multigear sprocket won't work either, the chain supplied with your kit and one of the only sizes that fit your engine drive sprocket is the #415 chain. the chain used on your bicycle and those sprockets are designed for is much much smaller so it won't fit and not to mention those sprockets are thin and not designed for the power from these motors. Not to be a dick but i reallly suggest you get a stronger bike, a fixie might feel strong to you but the vibration from these motors will kill it soon enough, trust me + once you start doing performance mods and bolt on mods it will almost definitely fail, i may be wrong but i seriously would look at a second hand steel bike off gumtree or ebay that looks sturdier... Always happy to help!

SyedStreet

Jan 7, 2013
texas
Yeah I will defiantly look into a sturdier frame... And a hub adapter... But I'd really like to thank you for all you help... Before I lose your expertise I'd like to ask a future question... What first performance upgrade do you recommend I get to increase speed in the future...smaller sprocket, better air filter for carb, or exhaust(if so which link from up there do you recommend?) Thank you very much!!!appreciate it!

SpeedWizzard

Mar 9, 2012
Australia
Well umm ahaha it's usually a combination of all those, personally i would go with the first link just because of the fact it's cheaper.. but i never actually ended up using an expansion chamber on my bikes just because it was already illegal to have the bike where i lived and the chamber only made it louder (increasing my chance of getting caught). first thing i would do after breaking in, in your case would be to get a tuned pipe (really up to you which one you want to get although Sick bike parts might be better quality), port matching if you don't know what it is just ask, a better idler sprocket, a better carb or just better air filter, balance crank if you have the machining skills, better fuel pettock and in line fuel filter, if using stock muffler gut it out some for better flow, high comp head, better chain and tune your carb well for the best performance and reliability. as for order, probably best to start with tuned pipe, then new carb or just air filter, then port matching, and any other mods you want to do. just remember to do them one at a time so it's easier to tune the carb for that particular mod, also makes it easier to pick out the part or mod that doesn't work or is causing problems. and you can ask me a question anytime, i'm on school holidays so have f*ck all^2 to do ahahah
Hope it helps!

bulljo

Jan 5, 2013
orange county
Id first think if my bike could handle anything faster than the stock kit. I bet it gets a little sketchy going into turns or slowing down with those skinny tires. That being said take the time and buy a dremel and match the exhaust to the engine portt. That goes.for the intake too. And both gaskets must be matched for this.to have any affect. Then take the cylinder off and match the cylinder base gasket to the ports or flip it over it might be unside down. Then buy a torque wrench and put the cylinder back on and tighten the head bolts down to twelve to sixteen lbs per square inch. These tasks might result in a better performance gain that just slapping on a ''speeddemon" exhaust. Some cheap and SMART upgrades are smaller sprocket.better plug and wire, and thinner head gasket. But i have found the trifecta to be hi compression head, exhaust and sprocket

SyedStreet

Jan 7, 2013
texas
Thanks bro! I REALLY appreciate the awesome advice that i will follow...how would a gasket effect much of the performance....if so i may get a gasket kit or make my own with copper or so...but anyway my Flying Horse Silver Angle Fire Bicycle Engine Kit comes in this Friday, i was wondering if there are any pre-steps i should take toward the engine and such ...before installing it with the DVD instructions

bulljo

Jan 5, 2013
orange county
Making all new gaskets with copper would be a great first upgrade. Another mod is taking the baffle out of the exhaust or cutting a 1/4 hole in the exhaust cap along with cuttiing a half inch hole in the airfilter right in front of where the carb takes in air. When putting the engine together use red high strength locktite on the motor mounts. Seriously use a torque wrench on the head bolts though. Lube the chain every tank full or so with chain lube not wd40. this will make your sprockets last way longer. I wanted to do the same with copper onthe gaskets but couldnt find anything thin enough. Oh yeah get a chain breaker for your chain make sure itsfor 415 chains and up. Make sure the engine and chain and sprocket are alined

SpeedWizzard

Mar 9, 2012
Australia
Also take off all the gear covers and make sure you apply a LITTLE white lithium grease onto the gears, check the intake and exhaust port and the muffler intake, these areas commonly have slag or large imperfections that could cause your kit to not run right, not run at all or serious damage. another thing you can do, I have never had a problem with it but some have, is replace the stock fuel pettock because it can sometimes not allow enough fuel causing a lean condition. I also replace the stock fuel line and put an inline paper element fuel filter for good measure.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Making all new gaskets with copper would be a great first upgrade. Another mod is taking the baffle out of the exhaust or cutting a 1/4 hole in the exhaust cap along with cuttiing a half inch hole in the airfilter right in front of where the carb takes in air. When putting the engine together use red high strength locktite on the motor mounts. Seriously use a torque wrench on the head bolts though. Lube the chain every tank full or so with chain lube not wd40. this will make your sprockets last way longer. I wanted to do the same with copper onthe gaskets but couldnt find anything thin enough. Oh yeah get a chain breaker for your chain make sure itsfor 415 chains and up. Make sure the engine and chain and sprocket are alined
DO NOT USE RED LOCTITE on the motor mounts.
You will instantly strip the cases as soon as you need to loosen it for any reason.(and you WILL need to take them off someday)
Use blue if you use any.
The rest of this advice is good.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
DO NOT USE RED LOCTITE on the motor mounts.
You will instantly strip the cases as soon as you need to loosen it for any reason.(and you WILL need to take them off someday)
Use blue if you use any.
The rest of this advice is good.

SyedStreet

Jan 7, 2013
texas
Thanks much guys... Okay so I just got my engine I'm making new gaskets and gonna make sure to port match the intake, the exhaust and gotta good deal for a 36 tooth sprocket I just ordered and ima try to clean the rust from the gas tank using small nuts and bolts.... I'm still looking around Walmart/target/academy for stores a bike... Because a lot if people didn't recommend the thruster fixie... I will post pics as soon as I finish my build.... Y'all are awesome!! (Bike suggestions [pre assembled store ones]) any thing I'm missing in my procedure please lemme know.... Thanks!!!