Homebrew Leafsprings

GoldenMotor.com

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
I finally made a set of leafspring forks. I used a leaf for a small trailer. Stainless rockers with oilite bushings, and rubber dampers on the leaf pivot. It is based off the indian leafspring forks, so when the wheel moves up, the leaf is pulled down. Its a little stiff, but she works pretty well.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I like it. I don't understand enough about leaf spring suspension to know what I'm looking at, but even if it doesn't work perfectly (not saying it doesn't) it has to be better than no suspension and it gives a nice, vintage look. Your approach appears to be strait-forward and doable. Especially so if we are interested in building a bike which will normally be run at 30 MPH or even less. Let us know how it works out down the line. It would be nice to find a source for more choices in the stiffness of the leaf. Youth snow machines, golf carts, lighter trailers... just thinking. Thanks for sharing.
SB

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
further out on the rocker would make it too soft, i forgot to cut the rockers down after i got everything measured out, i was in too big of a hurry to get them together and take them for a shake down ride

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
You can use a grinder to shape your spring as I have in the past. Take material from the sides and don't take so much at one time that it will overheat your spring. This way you lower the load range of the leaf spring.

Attachments

Last edited:

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
49cc motor, rated at2 horse stock. big ass carb, straight shorty pipe bring it up to 2.75-3. max rpms are 8750. primary is 4-1 (20-80) secondary is also 4-1 (10-40). top speed gps recorded is 42mph which is right about redline. with the carb it is very easy to over rev the motor. wish i could find a billet rod and flywheel.

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
leafs ride pretty well. depending on the rocker set up it can ride like a monark or other true springer, nothing rides like a pos knee action schwinn junker. If you have your rockers set up like mine (i copied indian) the leaf is pulled down while the wheel is compressed up, this dampens out the ride so there is no pogoing or bouncing after a bump at all.