Up date the brakes

GoldenMotor.com

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
Ok here is what I have.

As you can see it only has rear coaster brake and no brakes up front. I want to up grade the brakes before I put a motor on it. What are some of my options out there. Mind you both front and rear wheels are almost new. Don't want to break the bank to do this and the front forks will soon be springer's.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
there are differing opinions on coaster brakes. some will say that a coaster brake alone is not enough to stop a mb. my first bike only had a coaster brake, and i never had any problems stopping. i even drove 50 miles in the winter because i was moving, and carried whatever belongings i could fit on my bike, and i live in pennsylvania, it snows here in the winter, sometimes pretty bad. i was going full speed most of the way, because it was very cold that day and the sooner i got there the better off i would be. i did slow down a few times where the road was a bit icy, or snowdrifts were halfway across the road, but even going downhill with the extra weight i was carrying and the snow drifting across the road, no problems stopping with just a coaster brake. thats my coaster brake story lol.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
If you want to go with a springer fork and keep a clean and simple look to it, try dual coaster brakes.
Coaster to Drum Conversion
It will only cost you a good rear wheel with a good working coaster brake, some time to perform the conversion, and maby a little welding which could be free if you can weld or know someone who can and is willing to do you a favor.

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
If you want to go with a springer fork and keep a clean and simple look to it, try dual coaster brakes.
Coaster to Drum Conversion
It will only cost you a good rear wheel with a good working coaster brake, some time to perform the conversion, and maby a little welding which could be free if you can weld or know someone who can and is willing to do you a favor.
Have you done this conversion before and how well does it work?

tim turbo

Nov 18, 2009
fergus falls mn.
dance1I would go with the coaster on the back wheel, and sturmey archer front drum brake wheel. Got mine from Pirate Cycles, and the quality is out standing! Just saying!

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Hmmm. I have not seen that thread yet, GH.
I know that bairdco certainly has the skills to make it work if it could, and for him it did not.
Never mind my suggestion then...
A Sturmy Archer drum brake would be worlds better. The OP wants to do it on the cheap, so I suggested a cheap brake that seemed well suited to a springer.
Another rout would be a Monark-2 HD springer with a disc brake setup from Venice.
http://venicemotorbikes.com/store/index.php?cPath=33
This rout is not cheap, but I have read excellent reviews of it in the past.

crmachineman

May 24, 2012
New Hampshire
Ah yes!
You are basically asking the same question I have. My bike had to be retired from multiple stress cracks, and now I have a new bike that needs front brakes as well. Tim Turbo, I think that way sounds really good. I purchased a Worksman rear wheel from Pirate cycles, and it's been great.
I don't know about you, but I think the idea of putting a rear coaster brake set up on the front is crazy! All the one's I've had were really limited in stopping power.
Disk brakes could be really cool too, but I get really don't know what to get!
Ahh, you know, it's probably better to get that heavy duty worksman wheel. I wonder; how good or bad is the braking power of that front drum brake?

-Fred

r.ly.

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
I like the idea of the v-brake post adapter which will give a clean look...

The above drawing should be enough to recreate this adapter.

crmachineman

May 24, 2012
New Hampshire
Alright, you found a disk and caliper set! That is one step, now, how about the front hub? Need to find one which has that particular mounting. I'll look more and see what I can find. That price is so low, I wonder if the quality will be adequate.

-Fred

.shft.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
When considering an upgrade to brakes alway consider disc brakes first. The stopping power of disc over drum, rim or coaster is incomparable.

If you're set on a springer fork then look for one with caliper mounts or one that can be converted to use disc. A good one was suggested above. Not cheap but if you want good brakes, and who doesn't, you should consider it. Also keep in mind that the larger the rotor, the better the brake. Try to go with a 203 if at all possible.

Tom

crmachineman

May 24, 2012
New Hampshire
Hey, that is great! That set up there from Venice Motorbikes looks perfect! I will have to learn how to install spokes, but I think I can handle it. I could go with the Worksman front wheel with drum brake and be done with it, but I suspect the disc brake is better. Would you guys agree with that?

Thanks
-Fred
xct2

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
This wheel cost about $200 to make, but it's a lot better wheel than you have now.

The brake is a Sturmey Archer XL FD 90mm drum brake, laced to a Rhyno Lite double wall alloy rim that's 26 x 27.5mm. This wheel is very strong, and the drum brake in conjunction with my rear coaster works very well for me.

I also have a disk for this set up and it works well too.