Weinmann 26 x 30mm wheel

GoldenMotor.com

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I had this wheel made for me at a local bicycle shop.

Weinmann DM 30 double wall alloy rim
26 inch
30mm wide
36 H
12g spokes
Shimano cb110 single speed coaster brake hub
I think it was about $170

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
This advantage of this kind of wheel is it's extremely durable compared to a typical alloy, single wall beach cruiser wheel like found on low end beach cruiser bicycles.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Here's a front wheel I had made, this one at REI. This is what I'm running on the Atomic BB now. This wheel is very strong, and the drum brake works as good as my Honda 90 ever did.

Sun Ryhno Lite, double wall alloy rim
27.5mm wide
Rim brake compatible
36H
14g spokes
Sturmey Archer XL-FD front hub, with 90mm drum brake.
This one was about $225 in all.

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Like stock Crayon Brook cheep wheels sets lol;)
Yep, that's right. But those cheap wheels will last long enough for you to have good ones made.

I actually like the idea of a bicycle coming with cheap wheels. That helps keep the initial cost of the bicycle low, and allows me to order custom wheels made to my specifications and needs.

$150-175 is a reasonable cost for a quality bicycle wheel. Many people spend a lot more than that for wheels that will only ever be used on a regular bicycle.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I learned to lace my own wheels:) It is ''very easy'' and extremely rewarding in the end. The satisfaction of something done right from the get go. My back yard is strewn in a corner with those piece of junk hub and wheel sets from the likes of a Crayonie. I will never use laff

Well they have been sitting there for ever now. What I got's runs flawlessly.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I learned to lace my own wheels:) It is ''very easy'' and extremely rewarding in the end. The satisfaction of something done right from the get go. My back yard is strewn in a corner with those piece of junk hub and wheel sets from the likes of a Crayonie. I will never use laff

Well they have been sitting there for ever now. What I got's runs flawlessly.

Haha very easy.........................................for you LOL. I'm sure I could figure out how to lace wheels, but it just takes so much time. wAAAAAa, I'm soooo busy, Waaaa whine cry sniff sniff.

Seems like the quoted labor cost is always about $30, but it ends up being more like $50 for some reason or another. So we're talking about saving $30-50 per wheel, DIY vs let them that know how, to do it lol.

I've got 3 bent up stockers tossed on my pile. They could only keep their true for a few hard rides. I had broken spokes repaired on them several times.

My first experience with double wll rims was on th Cadilac. Stock it had cheapy low quality 23mm double wall rims. A 1.95 tire looked pretty big on one. Even so, they were noticeably stronger than the wider single wall, alloy beach cruiser wheels I've ruined.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Haha very easy.........................................for you LOL. I'm sure I could figure out how to lace wheels, but it just takes so much time. wAAAAAa, I'm soooo busy, Waaaa whine cry sniff sniff.

Seems like the quoted labor cost is always about $30, but it ends up being more like $50 for some reason or another. So we're talking about saving $30-50 per wheel, DIY vs let them that know how, to do it lol.

I've got 3 bent up stockers tossed on my pile. They could only keep their true for a few hard rides. I had broken spokes repaired on them several times.

My first experience with double wll rims was on th Cadilac. Stock it had cheapy low quality 23mm double wall rims. A 1.95 tire looked pretty big on one. Even so, they were noticeably stronger than the wider single wall, alloy beach cruiser wheels I've ruined.
I built my very first wheel in just under one hour. Had never ever built a wheel before that ether. It resides on my High powered Boxer/Morini bike without any indecent of any kind.

Here is how I did it..
Might try a set of Holmes Hobbies Sapian spokes? http://holmeshobbies.com/

This guy knows his stuff and builds custom wheel sets. I got to talk to him for a few a long time ago. I am using 14 gauge spokes too. They are beefy tho.. look more like 13's? His sapian type spokes are built nice. They have a thicker and thinner section to them that to me have proving to be very strong.

His wheel sets are standing up to the riggers of electric motor torque which is a hefty test!

I built my very first wheel set and they have been flawless to date . http://motorbicycling.com/picture.php?albumid=840&pictureid=4334

I did set my spokes pretty tight when assembling the wheel. Google the term http://www.google.com/search?q=cold...qf.,cf.osb&fp=798ff7e45f6d12e&biw=573&bih=345. Have not had to do a follow up yet.

Somebody else will chime in soon enough. I will build my own wheel sets from now on. I went to a online spoke calculator measured everything. Then ordered my spokes in the correct length. .

What I found was that the spokes were all cut exactly to the same length. So when I went together with my new rims. All I had to do was look at the top of the spoke nuts and twist them all up the same. Was easy to tell by looking at how much spoke wire was coming up through to the nuts.

So I ran a good name brand screw driver making many patient laps around the wheel a little at a time until the screw driver blade popped off the spoke nuts. Spokes were finally flush. Then made my last couple rounds with a spoke wrench . Done deal.

Having always trued my own wheels in the past this was just to darn easy! Honest I never even used a truing stand. I just set there on the sofa in front of the T.V. and had my first wheel in about an hour.

Might do some reading on the subject? Some hub flanges on cheaper low end machines might be too thin as well?
I also meant to say that loose spokes break faster than properly tight ones. When the whole thing is in harmony and acting like a true uni-body structure it is at full strength. A old wheel that was perhaps ran too loose would mebbe have compromised spokes? As a handful of spokes were doing all the work.

When things get loose and have a chance to rattle in the world of mechanics there is self destruction behind.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
That is a awesome front wheel Biknut! Came out mean and cleandance1

The double wall rims that are out now days can be very durable. That front wheel should run forever.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I know exactly what you mean about loose spokes breaking faster. The Cadillac's stock rear wheel came from the factory with fairly loose spokes. I always thought that contributed to the broken spokes. When I had that wheel repaired I asked that the spokes be tightened up, and after that it lasted a log time with no more broken spokes, but it's out of true now. I should practice truing it.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Once you can true a wheel sky is the limit! There is no stopping you from building all kinds of custom wheel sets! It is actually pretty easy. I learned from repeated exposure over the years.