Headset Conversion 1 1/8" - 1"

GoldenMotor.com

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
This is the first time I've worked on a bicycle headset.

The Atomic BB has a 1 1/8" steering stem. I'm trying to install new forks that have a 1" steering stem.

So far what I done is, remove the stock forks, and steering stem. I removed both of the races from the frame neck.

As I started to install the new 1" races I realized they're too small for my frames neck.

Is there an adapter that allows you to convert a bike with an 1 1/8" stem to a 1" stem?

Stormsorter

Jun 10, 2010
Jasper County Illinois
I was actually looking for a way to do the opposite when I read your post but it reminded me of something I saw at a store. http://www.bikeparts.com/productsearch2.asp?psID=90#pN=1&sO=1 If its not already sort buy price "low to high". You might be able to find a way to attach one of the tubes to your fork. Look and see if you original steering tube will fit over your old one. If your lucky it might slide right over then all you have to do is find and old fork the right size and cut the tube off, slide it over the one on your new fork and weld it at the top of the tubes. The idea maybe stupid or it may be genius I'm not really sure?

I got a shocked triple tree with disc brake mount that I was gona give up on until I remembered seeing those tubes. Now I gota go buy a tap or drill bit to get the wedge outa the goose-neck so I can see if theres a way to remove the tube and put one of those I linked on it. It was threaded below the wedge and the bolt forces the wedge down, I think. Never seen one like this before, might have to borrow a camera and start a thread on it if I'm wrong.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Well I don't feel so stupid. After calling around to local bike shops, now that I know what I'm looking for, I've found that most of the shops don't have any idea what I'm asking about. The ones that do know, don't have any adapters in stock, but can order one.

The trouble for them is, I can order it as easy as they can, and it comes to my door.

Stormsorter

Jun 10, 2010
Jasper County Illinois
I don't feel as stupid either. I flipped the bike with the forks I want over and sure enough it looks like the steer tube is removable like the ones I linked in my previous post. Now to get that stupid wedge out so I can get them off and make sure.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I don't feel as stupid either. I flipped the bike with the forks I want over and sure enough it looks like the steer tube is removable like the ones I linked in my previous post. Now to get that stupid wedge out so I can get them off and make sure.
Why go to so much trouble? Won't an adapter like I linked work just as well, and easier?

Stormsorter

Jun 10, 2010
Jasper County Illinois
Nope my bike has a 1" headset and the fork I want to use is 1 1/8".

My original post in this thread was written half asleep and half lit at 3am. Your post somehow reminded me of those removable steering tubes and it turns out that they will work for my issue.

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Nope my bike has a 1" headset and the fork I want to use is 1 1/8".

My original post in this thread was written half asleep and half lit at 3am. Your post somehow reminded me of those removable steering tubes and it turns out that they will work for my issue.
I see, so you need a 1" steerer tube? Yeah, I haven't seen an adapter for that.

Adama

Feb 5, 2011
Sacramento
Stormsorter – Take a look at The Retor Ryder Headset by Genuine Bicycle Products. It allows you to use a 1 1/8” non-tapered fork in an older bike that uses a 1” threaded headset like the older Schwinn’s. You will have to check your head tube as it will only work if the inside diameter is 30mm. I ordered one last week to install a Suntour XCR suspension fork onto a Schwinn Jaguar that I’m building so I should know more when it arrives.

TGM2054

Mar 22, 2012
Iowa
I'm in the smae boat as Stormsorter, trying to put a Nirve Switchblade fork (1 1/8" steerer) on a Micargi Mustang (1" tube)

Stormsorter

Jun 10, 2010
Jasper County Illinois
I only see 3 options TGM.

1: If your really lucky the steering tube is removable like mine. Look at my first post in this thread for a link to new tubes.

2: This is the "I have to have this fork on this frame option" . Again if your lucky remove the bearing cups from the 1" headtube and see if the steering tube fits and turns with no friction . If this is the case take the bearing cups that match your fork and see if the small end is the same size as your headtube.If it is, center and weld the cups to your headtube. Or you can try and find an old frame or piece of tubing the right size to make a couple of splints that you can weld to the cups to avoid welding the frame. Just make sure your tube is still long enough to go together with the extra length added to the headtube this way. Basically you have to make sure the cups stay in place so the steering tube turns inside the headtube with the bearings installed. Brazing should work to, at least on a road bike, but I'm not really sure if it would hold up on a motorized bicycle.

3: Easiest and most expensive. Buy a fork that fits.

Last edited:

MoreFasterer

May 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
This is the first time I've worked on a bicycle headset.

The Atomic BB has a 1 1/8" steering stem. I'm trying to install new forks that have a 1" steering stem.

So far what I done is, remove the stock forks, and steering stem. I removed both of the races from the frame neck.

As I started to install the new 1" races I realized they're too small for my frames neck.

Is there an adapter that allows you to convert a bike with an 1 1/8" stem to a 1" stem?
Maybe. Once upon a time you could buy reducers for that combo, but not sure if you'd have luck finding those now.

Nowadays you'll find those reducers in 1.5 down to 1 1/8 for the new standard being used for tapered headtubes.

Fwiw - please don't do this. NO fork is worth the loss in strength. Ever.

Worse case scenario if you really just gotta have it then get them made at a shop. Shouldn't cost that much (I know - define "shouldn't cost much").

EDIT - Ah, here you go - if you MUST ... http://www.jensonusa.com/Problem-Solvers-Headtube-Reducer

Last edited:

Stormsorter

Jun 10, 2010
Jasper County Illinois
I think biknut already found the reducer he needs, and to be honest I don't see how using one would cause a loss in strength. The steering tube never comes in contact with the headtube on the frame, just the bearings, they're races on the steering tube and the cup that just sits in the headtube.

As for the 1" to 1 1/8" adapter theory I posted, I could only see a loss in strength if it isn't done properly. 15-18 years ago I had a frame with a bearing cup that fit over the headtube instead of inside it. I use to jump that thing off a semi loading ramp and had several nose first landings and the only thing that ever busted was an inner-tube.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Maybe. Once upon a time you could buy reducers for that combo, but not sure if you'd have luck finding those now.

EDIT - Ah, here you go - if you MUST ... http://www.jensonusa.com/Problem-Solvers-Headtube-Reducer
Thanks for going to the trouble to find them. When I started this thread I'd never heard of them. Once I discovered them I ordered a set yesterday, after finding out nobody in Dallas has any.

They must not be well known, because half of the shops I called never heard of them.

Once I get done, I don't think the reducers will be the weakest link. The lowrider bent forks look pretty weak to start with.

MoreFasterer

May 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I think biknut already found the reducer he needs, and to be honest I don't see how using one would cause a loss in strength. The steering tube never comes in contact with the headtube on the frame, just the bearings, they're races on the steering tube and the cup that just sits in the headtube.

As for the 1" to 1 1/8" adapter theory I posted, I could only see a loss in strength if it isn't done properly. 15-18 years ago I had a frame with a bearing cup that fit over the headtube instead of inside it. I use to jump that thing off a semi loading ramp and had several nose first landings and the only thing that ever busted was an inner-tube.
Yes, I see that now. T'was a late night and I was so excited to help I missed that post upon review. Thank you for pointing that out.

Not sure what to tell you about loss of strength - smaller tubes are weaker than larger tubes. Can't argue with physics. My concern was well meant.

MoreFasterer

May 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Thanks for going to the trouble to find them. When I started this thread I'd never heard of them. Once I discovered them I ordered a set yesterday, after finding out nobody in Dallas has any.

They must not be well known, because half of the shops I called never heard of them.

Once I get done, I don't think the reducers will be the weakest link. The lowrider bent forks look pretty weak to start with.
No worries. Like I mentioned above, was just excited to help and missed you had found something already. Good luck. :)

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Current statis is, reducers are on order. The project is on a holding pattern till they get here.

TGM2054

Mar 22, 2012
Iowa
Thanks for the ideas guys, I see that i have a few options.
Biknut, I saw those forks, the only problem there is that they fit 1 1/4" fork legs, mine have 1 1/2" legs. I suppose I could bore them out to fit.
Stormsorter, the steering tube looks removable, so your idea could possibly work instead.
I'll get it solved, then it's on to getting descent brakes, and lastly the motor. Thanks for the help guys!