Anyone Using Moped Wheels?

GoldenMotor.com

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
not sure. my 16's with the pirellis are 21.5" tall. i'd guess his are 22-23" tall.

tires make a big difference. my pirellis are basically slicks. the 17's on my honda ct90 have these big ass michelin trail tires, and they're probly 24" or taller. i keep forgetting to measure them.

if you want some crazy tires, look up shinto. i think they make a z rated 17...
Baird,
How do you know what tire will fit a certain rim?
I use 24" rims should I replace them or can I use them with moped tires?

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
moped and motorcycle rims go by actual size. a 16" moped wheel is the same as a 20" bicycle wheel, but there's no equivalent for a 24" or 26".

you can find motorcycle tires in 26" from places like Coker tire, but they're made for antique bike restorations, not racing. and they ain't cheap...

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Pardon my confusion; Apparently cycling uses American Steel Wire Gauge (SWG), not American Wire Gauge... and the two differ greatly. 12 gauge in AWG is 0.0808 but in SWG it's 0.1055, so yeah, .105 is 12g. But the worksman site does state that they also have a .11g spoke (.120) in their super mover trike wheels; those suckers must look even more like moped wheels than my worksman slicks did! Any way, pardon my confusion... and thanks for helping me get straight on this. In any event, they're tough as nails wheels! Worksman rims, with 11g spokes, laced to moped drum brake hubs... how's that sound?
That sounds heavy man.........heavy :D

dnut

Adama

Feb 5, 2011
Sacramento
Some great information. I just received my puch wheels today for my build and was wondering where I can find just the 26” Worksman rims. I can find the wheels but only need the rims.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I finally found a another tire I have come to like for my 24 inch Large Marge rim.. So far I love it. Will ride it for a while and report.

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA
here's the wheel i laced up for superharry's 4 stroke. 26" Worksman rim, .120 g spokes, Atom Moped hub.

(not very exciting pictures, it's just a wheel...)
Very nice wheel nonetheless. Those spokes you used; were they the standard 10-5/8" long spokes? Also, on the moped hub; what do those colored bits of plastic do? I just cleaned my Puch moped hub and noticed that one of the two bits were missing, the other half gone. Not sure what purpose they serve other than plugging the holes? The hub I have looks identical to the one in your pics.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
those are "speed vents." when you go really really fast, you need to take those plugs out so the hub can cool down.

nah. not really.

i think they're so you can blow the brake dust out without removing the whole wheel.

moped and motorcycle rims go by actual size. a 16" moped wheel is the same as a 20" bicycle wheel, but there's no equivalent for a 24" or 26".

you can find motorcycle tires in 26" from places like Coker tire, but they're made for antique bike restorations, not racing. and they ain't cheap...
If you go on the 1977 moped site then you'll see there are 21" and 23" moped wheels. I am unsure what that translates into, in bicycle size... Here's the site:

http://www.1977mopeds.com/parts/wheels-and-tires/wheels.html

Of course, the wheels I'd be interested in are out of stock!

Ciao!, Mac-

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA
If you go on the 1977 moped site then you'll see there are 21" and 23" moped wheels. I am unsure what that translates into, in bicycle size... Here's the site:

http://www.1977mopeds.com/parts/wheels-and-tires/wheels.html

Of course, the wheels I'd be interested in are out of stock!

Ciao!, Mac-
The 21" wheel that 1977 Mopeds has on their site appears to be the front wheel from a Derbi RD50. That was a dirtbike looking moped that was only made for a year or two. And the rear wheel was smaller than the front, probably 17 or 18". But I suppose if you could find just the rims you could lace up a rear wheel.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
WoW !

I looked at the Shinko tires B mentioned... they are really nice!

The SR740 and 741 are H rated at 130mph and V rated at 150mph !

All the tire you might ever need for $100.
rc

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
LOL

Yah, a track would definitely be where I'd try any tall speeds...
not like when I was younger.

...on the beach with some pretty girls, the beer ran out, a short hop into town to the liquor store...
100+mph on the two lane wearing nothing but cut-off shorts and flip flops!
it was only a 5 mile run... lol straight as an arrow...
My old pan was pretty tall geared ! :)

Just don't do that kinda stuff anymore!
rc

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
wow
You're tougher than me!
...and I gotta say Thank You for your service to country.
That's what kept all the things I've done possible.

but I'm old now and drive like a little old lady! lol
I really AM a gutter rider!

Best
rc

I drove like a little old lady, when I was 20! Well, except for those odd 140mph moments on a Kawasaki 900 (when it was the FASTEST thing on two wheels!), but that was only twice... I've never been a speed demond... 240mph out the side of a jet, is all the speed any man should need!