Clutch Hard to Pull?

GoldenMotor.com

Motorized Bike Guy

Jan 4, 2012
Vermont
I have been riding for about a year now, with 430 miles on my MB, and recently I had to replace the clutch cable because of fraying, This is what I found out.

If you bought an engine kit from anywhere/one, buy a regular brake cable and use that instead, but still with the springs. They are the same exact thing! Not only that, but it will be ALOT easier to pull. And if you don't like this idea, the great thing about it is that its easy to reverse back!

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Just as a BTW - there's no need whatsoever for the clutch cable springs that are included with the kit, one is to act as a heat shield/chafe guard & the other is a return spring - both can be safely thrown away as useless.

To lessen the pull force required just use a decent cable as Bike Guy suggested, a brake noodle to reroute, only gentle bends in the cable & remember to lube it once in a while;

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
One thing I would like to mention as well that many seem to forget is lube the clutch cable. Even a cable right out of the engine kit box.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Unlike the redundant return spring the "heat shield" one doesn't hurt anything, but it doesn't particularly help either. Ofc you can leave it but simply rerouting the cable away from chafing on the hot fins works far better...

BTW, bairdco was the one that came up w/the brilliantly simple idea of a brake noodle, all of my builds have used 'em since he mentioned it ;)