DIY takeoff tips?

GoldenMotor.com

anim8r

Jul 15, 2011
Michigan
that's what I thought. Thanks guys.

I took it out today to see if I could get the idler screw set to a comfy place. Took it about 10 miles, then about 1/2 a mile from home I had my 1st breakdown. The brass slide slipped out of its seat in the carb again, I think. That's what it sounded like, at least.....it was revving like crazy & the throttle feels all screwy. I just rode it home & parked it. No time to mess with it today.

Tacomancini

Mar 18, 2010
Pittsburgh
Had a sticking throttle before. It turns out on some nt carbs if u tighten it too much onto the intake manifold it distorts the body carb causing the slide to stick. One way to test this is to loosen the screw and hear the slide snap back down. If that's the case u can wrap the intake manifold with Teflon tape and use grey gasket sealant to attach the carb without having to tighten it so aggressively. I also used a tiny bit of white lithium grease on the slide cylinder body, not the needle. Course u also should watch out for sticking cables, and as you mentioned if the slide body slot is not properly lined up with the small metal tab in the carb.

anim8r

Jul 15, 2011
Michigan
yep, that's what it was -- the brass slide. (Is there a real name for that piece?)

I tried running it without the air filter today & MAN what a difference it made. Taking off from a stop sign, it was like a completely different bike....like a 50-70% improvement. Didn't have my helmet & I was starting to hear a strange rattle, so I haven't opened it up yet to see how it runs at the top end w/o the red skull. (The rattle turned out to be nothing.)

It was 27 degrees F today. A cold ride is like a dip in the pool...been feeling great all day.