Stretched and running

GoldenMotor.com

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Excellent, very nice work!

From what I can see its not a schwinn XL Stingray nor an XYZ Extra Long Chopper like mine, so I'd say Andrae if not you then someone you know has skills.

If you look closely at his pic you can see the bottom bracket is above the bottom tube 2-3 inches. So yes he did stretch it!

Well done Andrae!
Peace C.H..shft.lt

Last edited:

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
All 3 main tubes had to be cut and welded then. I'm going to have to do the same thing with a LA Cycles BigMo if it's to be motorized.

Too bad there's no build photos, I need to see some moddied like this to help me get a better idea of what's involved before I start to cutting :p

hmmmm, looks like only 2 cuts were needed, upper frame tube and lower tube where it joins the crank box I think it's called...

I'll have to think on this...

Last edited:

Andrae

Aug 24, 2011
just had to cut the frame in two locations,but had to make 3 pieces. heres a pic of the frame after sleveing.have more pics but just learned how to resize pictures. let me know if you want more because i need info on some other stuff... like is it safe to order from gasbike.net?

Attachments

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
I'd like to see whatever you got. I take a while think on things so anything you got would be helpful. Unlike the OCC bikes the LA Cycles ones are pretty rare so I don't want to screw up on the frame, I'd have a hard time replaceing it :p

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Andrea, have considered starting your next build yet?

Please click on the link below in my signature, it'll take you to the alternate four stroke thread. Since you now know that you can stretch a Schwinn Stingray Chopper, you can easily fit a Honda Mini Trail Bike 49cc engine in a Stingray chopper! The Honda Mini Trail Bike is also known as a Honda crf 50 ( 49cc engine ) dirtbike / pitbike. Just a suggestion / something you might like to try that is using one of these engines, for a future build!

Crazy Horse.

Andrae

Aug 24, 2011
I have no idea what im building next,but at least now i can be asured these engines will be reliable and have the look! Heres another pic of the frame project

Attachments

Ditchrider

Jun 25, 2011
California
Andrae you are good, thats what I'm trying to build but not as fancy. In my neighborhood it wouldn't last one day. I stole the square tubing from the wifes treadmill and plan on using that for the bottom tube, its about the same size as the OCC bottom tube. Did you make the gass tank too? I like how you dropped the bottom tube below the pedals, any 2 horse engine could be fitted in there.

wolf

Nov 12, 2011
Bryan, OH
how did you weld them together with out having weld marks on them and how did you know that the weld will last?

corim123

Oct 20, 2011
georgia
I wish I had the skills to do this for my 196cc OCC chopper. Leg room will be tight even with ape hangers otherwise. Looks so nice! Might have to just go buy the welder instead of renting one.

Ditchrider

Jun 25, 2011
California
I bought a Hobart this year, on sale at the tractor store. uses the flux core wire.
.030 wire I think, The grandson has good eyes and a steady hand and loves to weld,
The neighbors gave us some trampolines, the top tubes around the safety net were coverd , so they are smooth like crome and just the right size. The welder loves to weld
galvanized , the smoke doesn't bother it since the welder doesn't depend on any gas
shield. Grams won't let us weld in the garage so the small amount of smoke it may make is lost outside.