antifreeze in the freewheel??

GoldenMotor.com

anim8r

Jul 15, 2011
Michigan
I overheard an old timer in a bike shop saying you should put a little antifreeze on the freewheel threads before mounting it on the hub.

Anybody ever heard of this? I wish I would have followed up & asked him why, but I was in a different conversation when I heard it. I searched antifreeze & freewheel for a total of zero hits, so I'm guessing this isn't a standard operation. Any thoughts?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Are you sure the word was anti-freeze and not anti-seize.
There are numerous products that keep threaded fasteners from gauling or seizing when threaded together.
My guess is either your heard wrong or the old timer was calling anti-seize by the wrong name.
Most antifreeze is basically a ethelene glycol base. I can't see any advantage to applying it to threads.
Tom

anim8r

Jul 15, 2011
Michigan
you're probably right about his mis-naming it. My roommate even asked me later, "did that guy really say to put antifreeze in there?" lol it's been buggin me all day
thanks for the tip

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
I knew an old scooter tramp who lubed his HD springer bushings with peanut butter.
It worked better than anything else he had on hand.
People say, and do plenty of things that don't make 'em right. :)
rc

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
:)

an 'old timer' and anti-freeze might mean back in the day... when there was glycerine and soluble oil in coolant concoctions... in other words, he was advising some sort of light oil.

use the never seize... just a touch... I KNOW it's good down to 14kft below SEA LEVEL !

:)
rc

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
He might have literally meant anti-freeze. Perhaps he expects that any trapped in the threads will prevent rust or siezing. I use a dab of automotive bearing grease that I use in axles etc.

If you are removing a stubborn freewheel, drip transmission fluid into the threads (freewheel down, through the spokes using a drink straw). Wait about 20 minutes, and that SOB will practically spin off.