Switching to disc from v-brake...new levers?

GoldenMotor.com

benutne

Apr 22, 2011
Spfd
I have the typical v-brake assembly right now and I'd like to switch to disc for my front wheel. Do I need to buy new levers? The ones I have are labeled "Shimano Servo-Wave Action" or something like that.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The bike shop guy where I bought my Avid BB-7 disc said I had to use the matching, $29.00 lever to go with the disc. NOT TRUE. I'm using the original brake lever that came on 'V' brake equipped Jaguar. It works great. Just watch your throw and adjustment.
Tom

benutne

Apr 22, 2011
Spfd
Awesome. Thanks for the reply. I figured i'd have to do some fiddling to get the new brake working just right. Might even take it into the bike shop since they only charge $10 for brake adjustments.

driftology

Jun 22, 2010
campbell, ca
your levers are long pull levers so they will work with most disc brakes unless you are doing avid bb7. You have to be carefull with those, there are 2 versions and they look the same. The road version is short pull and wont work.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I have the typical v-brake assembly right now and I'd like to switch to disc for my front wheel. Do I need to buy new levers? The ones I have are labeled "Shimano Servo-Wave Action" or something like that.
Show us a pict if ya want. Its likely it will work fine I think. I use BB7's

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I am not familiar with those calipers. I don't understand the slotted deal on them. Says H.M.L. . They look like they have a very long swing them. I presume they are adjustable at the handle pich? In light of that if true they should totally work.

If they wind up not working. Its been my experience that most any generic cable driven hand actuator will work perfect just fine.

Like one of the guy's post above said the hand calipers that go on the ram horn type handle bars are different. Never tried anything like this with those. I don't think I get what he is saying?

These brakes in my experience are no where near as spongy feeling as a typical V brake. They can easily be adjusted to feel that way in a sense of taking up cable slack. Or they can be put where there is very little cable slack. I love these brakes my self. . I have used BB7's for years now. I say go for it!! You won't be sorry..

Last edited:

benutne

Apr 22, 2011
Spfd
I am not familiar with those calipers. I don't understand the slotted deal on them. Says H.M.L. . They look like they have a very long swing them. I presume they are adjustable at the handle pich? In light of that if true they should totally work.

If they wind up not working. Its been my experience that most any generic cable driven hand actuator will work perfect just fine.

Like one of the guy's post above said the hand calipers that go on the ram horn type handle bars are different. Never tried anything like this with those.

These brakes in my experience are no where near as spongy feeling as a typical V brake. They can easily be adjusted to feel that way. I say go for it.
Yeah, the two adjustments can be made with the small screw and also where the cables attach. I have no idea what the H-M-L stuff is either. I've never messed with the settings.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Tnxs for the thread guys!
I'm watching closely!

Got center pulls now and they just don't inspire confidence...
I will forever advise people that they are putting their LIFE in peril with coaster brakes!

Best
rc

benutne

Apr 22, 2011
Spfd
Tnxs for the thread guys!
I'm watching closely!

Got center pulls now and they just don't inspire confidence...
I will forever advise people that they are putting their LIFE in peril with coaster brakes!

Best
rc
It might be a while. I'm still putting parts together. I need a new front wheel but I already have the fork (some cheap used thing for now) with IS mounts and I found a great deal on PricePoint for last years model BB5s and BB7s.

driftology

Jun 22, 2010
campbell, ca
its a high medium low ajustment for the servo wave action. the idea behind servo wave is during the begining part of the lever pull you will pull more cable then the ending part of the pull. so as soon as you start pulling the lever the pads will move very quickly to close but at the end of the lever pull the will move slowly to give you more modulation. in theory it was a good idea (they still use it for their hydraulic brakes) but for a mechanical brake, especially the bb series they may feel a little spungy. either way it will be a better setup then a rim brake but any other v-brake or long pull lever will feel better.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
its a high medium low ajustment for the servo wave action. the idea behind servo wave is during the begining part of the lever pull you will pull more cable then the ending part of the pull. so as soon as you start pulling the lever the pads will move very quickly to close but at the end of the lever pull the will move slowly to give you more modulation. in theory it was a good idea (they still use it for their hydraulic brakes) but for a mechanical brake, especially the bb series they may feel a little spungy. either way it will be a better setup then a rim brake but any other v-brake or long pull lever will feel better.
So they are made to take up the slack that exists in a typical v brake. I think they will be fine.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
If he is getting the Mountain bike type BB7's his existing hand calipers will be perfectly fine! . I talked to my local LBS today. That whole lack of throw deal is with ram style handle bar hand calipers.

driftology

Jun 22, 2010
campbell, ca
i completely agree that it will work. i just saying from having owned those levers and what we have set up in the shop i work at that standard levers would end up feeling a little better.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.