Thread on disc brake conversion kit?

GoldenMotor.com

Tippyman

Aug 1, 2010
Virginia
I am looking at the threaded disc convertion kit as found on this site:

Custom Motored Bicycles - WHEELS HEAVY DUTY 26"INCH  12 G 12 Gauge Spokes,BICYCLE BRAKES,

(It's about a third of the way down the page.)

I want to use it on my Schwinn Krate front wheel but I'm not sure if it would work, as it is a 16" wheel. The site says it works with any wheel, so in theory it will work, I'm just unsure as to how it mounts so I don't know it it's legit. Here's the bike in question:

Tippyman

Aug 1, 2010
Virginia
I think I get it now. Does this thread onto a rear wheel where the cassette would go thus turning it into a front wheel with a disc? I'm looking at a couple bike's front wheels i have laying around and the only threaded part on them is the axle. :confused:

Tippyman

Aug 1, 2010
Virginia
I actually have his conversion on my other bike. Works great! However it is for a 26" wheel. I'm trying to do a 16" wheel. Ahhh... dilemmas.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I see where you are going here you need a cheap small BMX wheel. I looked for sec don't know what to punch into Google. Was gonna see if a wheel hub set up was around in that size already made compatible.

I think what you found there will work fine. Question is is it too wide to fit into the fork drop outs? I have never went this route.

Tippyman

Aug 1, 2010
Virginia
I emailed the owner of the company.

I guess I'll wait back to hear from him. I really just want to add a front disc, keep the coaster brake rear as backup, and keep this bike as clean and tidy as possible.

What I would REALLY want is a 16" front drum wheel, but I think that's a little much to ask, haha.

Tippyman

Aug 1, 2010
Virginia
Wonder if i can find a local shop that will custom make my 16" wheel with a drum? I assume custom spokes are needed? Is that even possible? Oh the insanity of this hobby... haha.

Tippyman

Aug 1, 2010
Virginia
Found a place locally that does custom wheels. However, they told me they couldnt get any 16" wheels with 36 spoke holes. The only drum brakes on the market have 36 spoke holes.

I found what I assume is a rim meant for a recumbent that has 36 holes, so I ordered it along with a 90mm Sturmey Archer drum. Yay!

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA
HI All,

I had a fella call me the other day and inquire about adding a disc brake to his non disc brake bicycle using (of all things) the Top Hat Sprocket Adapter.

Wow, I had no idea what he was even talking about since I always stressed the need to START WITH a disc brake hub when using a Top Hat Sprocket Adapter.

I had never thought about INTENTIONALLY starting with a NON disc brake hub and working "backwards" since the Top Hat was specifically designed to use a disc brake hub to better mount a sprocket while still retaining the use of a disc brake NOT the other way around.....I guess I was not thinking "out of the box " enough! ;-0

Anyways, his concept was to take a Top Hat Sprocket adapter (Probably have to use the 1/4" offset version to be able to have clearance for the mounting hardware to be able to nut and bolt a rotor the Top Hat itself) , mount a disc rotor to it, and the use a factory "rag joint" to mount the Top Hat assembly to the wheel.....Instant home made disc brake hub!?!

I though "wow that could work" BUT the reason for NOT using the factory rag joint in the first place was because of potential misalignment issues and run out. However, in thinking more about it, I have used plenty of rim brakes on less than perfectly trued wheels throughout the years without problems / issues.....

Another concern I had was that braking could put more stress on the spokes than an engine accelerating the bike??....I mean in theory, good brakes (disc, rim, or coaster brakes for that matter) can usually lock a tire at will BUT a good Chinese engine or even Morini cannot break a tire loose on dry smooth gravel free pavement.

I tried to convince him to use a disc brake hub for a proper disc brake conversion BUT on the other hand I was intrigued at the possibility of converting ANY wheel to disc brake use....What do you think?

Also, in the case here (where the small front wheel may not allow you the ability to simply re-lace a wheel this may be a possible solution but please read on for more potential concerns / issues).

I tried to point out that another possible issue was cost....A person would have to buy a Disc brake assembly (caliper, rotor, and possibly even a new brake lever and brake cables unless the old parts from a previous caliper brake can be reused), as well as buying the Top Hat itself....(His reply was that he lived in CA and that he knew many sources of cheap used bike parts so that was not an issue).

Then too, a way would have be found to mount the disc brake caliper to the fork or frame of the bike itself......

I suppose almost anything is doable.....what do you think?

Hope this help you in your quest for your front wheel disc brake.

Andrew

PS - I see where you may have decided on going w/a drum brake BUT if you REALLY wanna go disc this may be a way to do it