Monark springer question

GoldenMotor.com

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I have these Monarch forks that i have a question about. Being from Australia we dont see these forks. So im wondering if theres a pice missing on the bottom of the legs. The pivot point bracket has play in it. Is that play ok or should i make a plastic washer to take the play out?

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
That's a shoulder bolt and the shoulder should pass through both the swing arm and the fork blade. I would also suggest using a thin washer under a nice nylock nut on the shoulder bolt.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Thanks Sportscarpat..... love your bikes by the way. Art in motion :)

Are you saying the thick part (part without thread) of the shoulder bolt should infact pass through the suspension leg holes?.... Because it doesnt at present. The thick part of the shoulder bolt is bigger then the hole in the suspension legs.

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
I don't have any real experience with vintage Monarks, but the new repops do have two thick steel washers in the stack. Common practice is to flip the swing arms to the outside of the fork blades to gain extra hub width, then drill the fork blades so the shoulder bolt passes through both pieces, then add a nylock. The thick washers are removed. The drilled hole must match the shoulder closely or you'll end up with sloppy fork action. Here is a picture that shows a modern Monark modified.

Racer by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Thanks so much, that never occurred to me. My front wheel is a pain to get in the forks so this will solve that problem. Cheers, ill have a look

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
That answer works for me! (^) But without the fender struts in there, there might be too much slop in the fork dropout?... so just add some washers to fill the gap if you don't have the fender. ;)