triple tree solid fork

GoldenMotor.com

shiloh0

Jun 28, 2008
i like the way the fork looks on the felt mp cruiser. im building one to look
like the board track style using an old moondog. i was wondering how the bike would handle with the solid triple tree. the bike will have big (2.35)
fat frank tires. anyone with experience in this area?

magrider

Aug 24, 2010
OrangeCounty, CA
shiloh- when I first built my MB it had the triple tree forks and the Bontrager hank 2.2 tires.
I liked the way it handled. it was very agile and it rode and turned exactly how I wanted. but as you know a rigid front end and rigid rear end makes for a ruff ride. basically you feel every bump, rock, and crack in the road and going 30mhp+ made me feel uneasy at times. it didn't really matter how low or high the tire pressure was.
My solution was to keep the triple trees and build telescoping suspension tubes like 'rock shox' or motorcycle forks. it rides much smoother now, so now the uneasy feeling comes from the cars on the street

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
I have three bikes that have triple tree forks and love them, give it a shot. I agree with magrider on the bumps and cracks. Just make sure you have some bubble gum in your mouth so you don't chip any teeth :)

Pirate offers a set with a mount for a disk brake.

You can check out my bikes with the forks @ wolfcreativecustoms.com

shiloh0

Jun 28, 2008
thanks to all for the replies, i looked at the wolf creations page and thats the same look im shooting for. i like the way that monark fork looks too, its got a more complex, antique appearance. i read a lot of people have issues with them due to the head mounting flanges on the repros not being beefy enough so i guess im going to go ahead and use a triple tree type. i don't know how to modify it with shock tubes as magrider did, so will try the solid approach first.

AzToker

Feb 28, 2010
Too Stoned, Az
Is there a write up about how to build a triple tree forks with shock tube added on? Man it a stiff ride with no shocks! I would like try n make one but not sure where to start.