new engine at dax website

GoldenMotor.com

shiloh0

Jun 28, 2008
i just bought one of the new engines from dax, they are rated 4.2 hpr like the
one from dave's motors but this engine is only 174.99. really cool looking too, and only weighs 6lbs. its a rear mount engine, and i will probably use the chain drive configuration. with an expansion pipe should make another horsepower too.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Anxiously awaiting how this powerful engine works for you.

Which chain drive will you be using? Staton 18.75:1 gearbox? NuVinci? New BMP chain drive?

shiloh0

Jun 28, 2008
Anxiously awaiting how this powerful engine works for you.

Which chain drive will you be using? Staton 18.75:1 gearbox? NuVinci? New BMP chain drive?
5-7Heaven, i was thinking of using the drive from the dax site which i believe is similiar to the one from bike motor parts. you said new, so maybe i should
check it out. i remember they had a jackshaft version which used either a v-belt or chain. the dax version has a gear box that bolts to the rack on the other side from where the clutch bolts up.

the rear wheel i was planning to use is a heavy duty 12g spoke with a free
wheel and a 26 tooth sprocket. this will be the first rack drive i've fooled with so im not real fluent in this area

shiloh0

Jun 28, 2008
Crankcase reed valves and pullstart, Nice! Id love to see that thing mounted midframe..
i don't have the motor yet, just ordered it but it wouldnt be too hard to weld a plate to 2 tubes the weld it between the seat tube and front tube. then just a matter of drilling the holes in the plate to bolt the engine. since i dont have the thing yet im not sure of how it would 'set in'. something to consider....

oh..i guess the orientation would be wrong since the clutch goes on the right side.

Last edited:

Lean Dean

Jan 10, 2008
These engines are used on low budget caig pocket bikes,you can find more info on the PBU (pocket bikes unlimited.com) website.I've had alot of experience with these engines.These engines are reliable and have many after parts available.These engines were a Italian design pocket bike engine and copied by China, Hope I was some help-Dean

shiloh0

Jun 28, 2008
i think you are right about that slowbalt, its a standard size clutch, i believe its the same size as the 2 hpr huashenge/honda. the confusion to me is that in the video at
the dax site it shows the motors being mounted on the left side with the clutch on the right side. i would assume that if the motor was mounted the other way with the clutch on the left side the bike would go in reverse. i know i havent had enough coffee yet to think clearly so im probably just confused.

shiloh0

Jun 28, 2008
thanks for the links to the trans, slowbalt, i had already seen that one on ebay and thought it looked like a really good deal. i wasn't sure if it was the same clutch size.
seems like a steal for the price. i have the 1st version of the shift kit on one of my bikes and the plates bolt to tthe engine so i dont think that jackshaft would fit this engine, but the revised mounting jackshaft (sbp) might work with it, however, there might be a problem due to the extra power torquing the shaft to the side.

shiloh0

Jun 28, 2008
well i finally received the engine i ordered from the dax website. i wasn't very impressed with the quality, the air breather looked like a dog chewed on it. Then I saw that i could've got a much better deal on ebay with a 54cc big bore cag knockoff complete with gearbox for $144 shipped. I had heard a lot of good things about dax, but we live and learn.