China Girl Motor Timing and Ignition System Modifications!

GoldenMotor.com

oldtimer54

May 15, 2010
On a bike
Re: China Girl Timing and ignition System Modifications!

??? What? What fix? I dont see no fix? Wheres the fix? I need my FIX!!?? lol Ok so wheres your fix?

kipharley

Jul 9, 2009
Sanford,Maine

Must be a secret................ :)
Tom
No It won't be a secret long.I'm just raping up some loose ends!,And taking pics.
What I will tell you is that it has to do with modifing the magneto and the magnet to be more efficient= more POWER and modifing the magnet so that you will be able to retard or advance it as much as you want! Plus Plus the whole thing will be better balanced to boot!
How can you beat that!
Believe me I'm probably more excited about this than you are so stay tuned!
Kip.
[email protected]

kipharley

Jul 9, 2009
Sanford,Maine

Here's some pics I'll explain them later.Gotta go.
Ok,I'm back.
First pic.The magneto,White wire cut off to eliminate interference and the blue wire replaced with a heavier 16 ga wire,.
The curved "pickup" part of the magneto has been filed smooth and polished,The windings and the magneto frame has been insulated to reduce interference.
Second pic.Inside the case with the magneto and magnet removed.
That black round thing is the crank bearing seal
Third pic.That round white thing covering up the bearing seal is a 1/16" nylon washer.
That washer isolates the bearings from the magnet,which helps keep the bearings from doing weird things as the magnet rotates,.And keeps more power in the magnet to produce more power.
The forth pic.Those are 4=Modified, M4x30mm Socket head Cap Screws.
They replace the stock screws.
The relief is for a standoff nut.
The standoff nut raises the magneto so that the magnet is centered in the frame of the magneto=more dirrect=better current flow.
The fifth pic.Is the magneto installed with the standoff in place. Kip.
[email protected]

Attachments

Last edited:

kipharley

Jul 9, 2009
Sanford,Maine

Some more!
First pic.These are .035 spacers,to space the magnet in the magneto frame providing an even gap=better current flow.
Second pic is the bottom front cover screw boss,of the case,clearanced so that magneto frame could move for gapping magneto and magnet.
Third pic is the magnet location at TDC.Sorry couldn't get a good pic.
More to come!Kip.
[email protected]

Attachments

Last edited:

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia

If you are trying to alter the rotational timing of the magnetic fields with those L shaped pieces of wire, I am assuming that the wire is MIG welding wire, copper coated steel naturally, as solid copper wire would not transfer the magnetic lines of force.

I like where you are going with this!

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia

Ok..... I figured out that the wires act as an installation guide for even, concentric placement of the stator apon assembly.

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS

tinkering is the reason i live for let us know how u make out kip.

kipharley

Jul 9, 2009
Sanford,Maine

Ok..... I figured out that the wires act as an installation guide for even, concentric placement of the stator apon assembly.
Hi,GearNut.That's all they are,. Shims for "trying" to even out both sides of the magneto frame.
I measured the I.D. of the magneto"pickup" surface and the magnet and there was about .070 difference so the .035 welding wire fit the bill.
The magneto would have to move backwards toward the drive sprocket about 1/8" in order for it to be concentric with the magnet.,I might slot the mounting holes to do this.Kip.
[email protected]

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS

the magnets themselves arent always round and alot of vibe comes just from that

kipharley

Jul 9, 2009
Sanford,Maine

I'd really like to see a 'before & after' test of how much difference all this will make? (^)
Norm,Look at the upper right hand side of each of my post.
Do you see under my join date where it says Location,Sanford,Maine.
I'm up to my bung hole in snow!
There might be a before and after.After the snow's gone but not any time soon!
And don't even think about rubbing it in that it's like 80 and humid in Cal.
I will hunt you down.Kip.
[email protected]

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

So far so good, Kip, with the exception that a thin 'gasket' of nylon won't really insulate the magnetic field. It would take a lot more than that. Is your theory that the mag field somehow effects the bearings? How and to what extent?
Keep working and when the snow's gone, let us know what happens.
Tom

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.

I was actually thinking the 'before & after' test would just be starting the engine & testing the new power output of the magneto; (not actually test riding it.)

Also, "yes" it's about 74 degrees & sunny today & we're going for a ride! (sorry) :p laff

kipharley

Jul 9, 2009
Sanford,Maine

So far so good, Kip, with the exception that a thin 'gasket' of nylon won't really insulate the magnetic field. It would take a lot more than that. Is your theory that the mag field somehow effects the bearings? How and to what extent?
Keep working and when the snow's gone, let us know what happens.
Tom
Your right Tom.But you have to admit it works 100% better than the one that's there from the factory!
Gotta effect the bearings some how and it can't be for the better, they are steel! Don't know?
PS that nylon washer is .0625 thick.Kip.
[email protected]

Last edited: