Need better performance for long/steep hills, faster on flat ground. Ideas?

GoldenMotor.com

Zack01GC

Sep 14, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
I have a China (ZoomBicycles) 66cc 2-stroke engine, and I'm not entirely satisfied with the performance of it. Stock drive gear (44t I think).

My plans are to get a new plug (not sure which to get?), better carb, and better exhaust (possibly expansion pipe). I need to keep the 44t sproket because I travel up a lot of hills. Don't want a 36t because of the hills, but don't want a 50t that will lower the top speed.

I was thinking about the NT Speed carb. Has anyone tried it? Is it worth the money? Spooky Tooth has it for $25.

So if anyone could help me out, I would appreciate it. The bike is just not making enough power for my needs. I figure between a better carburetor, better spark plug, and a better exhaust pipe, it could perform how I would like it to.

I ran a gallon of 20:1, then 24:1, then 32:1 most recently. Would changing to 40:1 or 50:1 be more beneficial? I'm assuming it's broken in, I've had 5 tanks of gas through it.

(Please keep in mind I do not have a Dremel tool or drill to do any porting work. Just basic hand tools and not much money. Please keep these factors in mind)

Thanks!

Last edited:

Zack01GC

Sep 14, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
It's just a single speed bike. Cranbrook with ZoomBicycles motor.

Really looking for Carb, Exhaust, or other inexpensive performance recommendations. I already ordered my B5HS spark plug. I just need a little more kick, or I'm chopping up my new factory muffler again. Haha

Last edited:

Black_Moons

Oct 25, 2010
Canada, Bc
The short, fat expansion intake is oddly very good at lower rpm power, And is the best $50 I have ever bolted onto my motor. Still havent compaired it to the SBP exhaust however..

Alson

May 16, 2010
Kankakee Illinois
I got a rat tail file, to port some what, and dont forget to open the gasket also, I got 3 more mph. Thr NT speed carb is fin, and witj an expansion chamber is all you newd. I go 36 mph with the 44t gear

DanielMaia

Jun 24, 2009
Portugal
Buy a BPR6HIX spark plug, really improve the spark quality.

Try remove the end cap of your stock exhaust, take a ride up a hill, and tell me how it performs. (yes a little loudy, but...)

DanielMaia

Jun 24, 2009
Portugal
Yes, i see, excellent work jaguar :)

Did you know also the big improvement of taking off the end cap of stock exhaust? At low rpm's if i push WOT, and push a little back..... .wee.

DanielMaia

Jun 24, 2009
Portugal
Yes, i'll solder my sbp expansion chamber, cause 30% of smoke are getting off the first curve, and the noise is terrible..

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Unless you want to pedal a lot, or install a shift kit, pick one or the other. :)

Re: Need better performance for long/steep hills, faster on flat ground. Ideas?