Wiring question

GoldenMotor.com

bomb

Nov 18, 2010
Canada
I have a Zoombikes kit that is almost installed, but the instructiuons don't say what the white wire coming from the engins should be connected to. It mentions the white wire coming from the motor but elaborates no further.

Anyone know ?

Thanks

jKellym

Jul 23, 2010
Houston
The white wire is "hot" putting off 6 volts. It can be used to run a headlight or tail lights, but I haven't found an easy way to connect one as of yet. Just cap it off for now.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Throw the instructions away and follow the diagram posted above. As is noted, the kill switch wire colors might be different from kit to kit but the connections should be as shown. This isn't just my opinion, Bomb. It is the right way to wire your ignition system.
Additionally the black wire from the engine (magneto) is grounded inside the magneto cover and does not need to be attached to the frame of the bike, unless, you plan to try using the white wire for a light. My advice regarding the white wire is to securely insulate it so it can not come in contact with the frame or engine case, solder the other connections and protect the connections with heat shrink tubing. Don't rely on the kit supplied plug in style connectors. They have caused more problems than we have room to relate here.
Tom

Last edited:

solokumba

Nov 24, 2010
Florida
Put some tape over it and Fuhgeddaboudit. One day you might want to hook up a light. Then, don't Fuhgeddaboudit!

bomb

Nov 18, 2010
Canada
Throw the instructions away and follow the diagram posted above. As is noted, the kill switch wire colors might be different from kit to kit but the connections should be as shown. This isn't just my opinion, Bomb. It is the right way to wire your ignition system.
Additionally the black wire from the engine (magneto) is grounded inside the magneto cover and does not need to be attached to the frame of the bike, unless, you plan to try using the white wire for a light. My advice regarding the white wire is to securely insulate it so it can not come in contact with the frame or engine case, solder the other connections and protect the connections with heat shrink tubing. Don't rely on the kit supplied plug in style connectors. They have caused more problems than we have room to relate here.
Tom

The diagram is an absolute nightmare. How am I supposed to know what to connect to where if the wires are different colors ?

PS, What's wrong with the wiring instructions that came with the kit ?

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Let's try a new approach here: What colors are your wires? The indusrty standard is a black, a blue and a white wire coming from the engine. The CDI, which is the small black plastic box typically has a black and blue wire coming from it along with the larger diameter lead which is the spark plug wire. It will be black also
The kill switch has two wires that could be yellow and green, red and black or green and red, or some other combination of colors. The wire colors are not important because the kill switch is just a simple normally open contact that connects the two wires coming from it as noted on the diagram. Those two wires, whatever color they are, should be connected to the blue and black wires that you'll need to connect from the engine and from the CDI (coil). Please forget about the wire colors and try to follow the wiring diagram that I posted for you. Also disregard the "optional method" dotted lines on the diagram. Let me know if my explanation didn't clear this up for you.
As far as the printed instructions; they are often translated into English by the Chinese factories that produce the engine kits. There are often mistakes and inconsistancies in the instruction sheets. We call it Chinglish. Have you ever tried to assemble a tool/lawn furniture/toy that was manufactured in China and had trouble reading the instructions? Same thing here. As you said, they tell you to ground (earth) the wires from the kill switch. That will accomplish nothing and you'll be unable to shut the engine off with the kill switch wired as your instructions say.
Tom

Last edited:

bomb

Nov 18, 2010
Canada
The wires coming from the engine are indeed white blue and black. The wires coming from the CDI are blue and black. The kill switch wires are green and yellow / red.

I will have a go at rewiring it.