The Black Horse Cruiser

GoldenMotor.com

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
The Black Horse Flyer

Figured I'd start this build with the best part... the wheels. I had Sportscarpat make me a custom set of steel Worksman wheels with Dual Drum Brakes and the integrated 45T sprocket. They just came in today and all I can say is Unbelievable. They are scary tuff.

As for the build, I'll have picture of my stretch up later today once the sun comes out, yesterday was dull and grey, so I didn't get a chance to take them. Right now I am working with a Dyno/Urban Stretch frame, later I will switch to the Phoenix Chassis. Also I bought a lot of custom chopper style parts from Cycles U.S.

I am going for a 40's/50's big chopper look, but in a Steampunk style. Everything will be brushed metal, brass and copper when I get done. Including a keg style gas tank from Coyote Gear. The handlebars are the widest moon style I could find and I will be running the brake cables through the bar to bar-end brake handles, a lot cleaner look. But before I get ahead of myself, since I haven't taken pictures of the bike, here are a few picts of the wheels.

Thanks Pat!!!

Attachments

Last edited:

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
Thanks guys!!! Again though, today I didn't get to shoot pictures of the bike. I have had an older set of wheels on it and have been pedaling it around. Always get lots of drop jaw looks. But definitely tomorrow I'll bust out the iPod and take some pictures of it. We did some measurements for the engine skid plate/mount and will be starting to weld parts on it next week!

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
I got a question for any sprocket headz out there. I am planning on going with the new G4 belt drive on my Titan to replace the chain gear box(EZM doesn't make a drive for my engine, oh well, next Honda build). I wanted to stick with the newer version of the G4 because of the solid 10T sprocket, that, I could change to get a different gear ratio to the 45T on the back wheel. How much extra torque could I get by going down in the front sprocket say to 9T or even 8T? Is it going to make a difference in how much weight I can pull at take off? Or pulling up a hill?
I am going down to a 32T up front and a 20T on the pedal side to get an easier pedal off than what I have now, 44T/14T which has no hill pull or take off at all, even though I have the thighs of a burro, lol.
I plan on having a good amount of engine space and chain tensioning to adjust for the change in sprockets. That way I can adjust torque for hillier areas compared to flat ones. But am I wasting my time???, for this is something I've not fooled with in the past.

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
Well it was a gorgeous sunny day here in Florida. So I got out and took some pictures of the bike. Its a good start. Notice the barefoot pedals for cruisin the beach!!! I'm stuck between wooden fenders from Woody's or maybe thick copper strips for fenders, which would be just as expensive. I have some used planet bike fenders I could rip mounting pieces from, or maybe just make my own out of brass and steel. If I do one custom thing a month till late spring, it should be done for a lot of summer cruising. I'm thinking a glove box in the space up front in the frame, and then put a keg can gas tank on the rear rack. I still plan on eventually adding an electric drive too, with 18AH scooter batteries in saddle bags on either side for a 24v 450 watt motor. I still like the idea of running silent and slow in town and then cranking the gas for the long road. Plus I could run the entire light system off the controller, another benefit of a dual system.

Attachments

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
Yes Bill!!!
Most of the add ons are from them. Such a great company, quality products and they really know how to pack stuff for shipping. They just added the 2 tone springer not too long ago, its a nice piece, just the right bling.

Last edited:

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
Bikes still sitting in pieces right now. My welding friend has been tied up with work so we haven't had time to work on the mount. Also got to drill out the drop outs so my rear wheel will fit, then its brake line time. Might have the wheels and brakes installed and just cruise around with out a motor for a bit. Winter finally came to Florida, so no hurry to be whisking through the cold breeze, lol.

Worked on a badge for the bike, going to call it Flyer instead of Cruiser, just sounds better and more traditional. Here's a first rough draft of it...

Attachments

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Figured I'd start this build with the best part... the wheels. I had Sportscarpat make me a custom set of steel Worksman wheels with Dual Drum Brakes and the integrated 45T sprocket. They just came in today and all I can say is Unbelievable. They are scary tuff.

As for the build, I'll have picture of my stretch up later today once the sun comes out, yesterday was dull and grey, so I didn't get a chance to take them. Right now I am working with a Dyno/Urban Stretch frame, later I will switch to the Phoenix Chassis. Also I bought a lot of custom chopper style parts from Cycles U.S.

I am going for a 40's/50's big chopper look, but in a Steampunk style. Everything will be brushed metal, brass and copper when I get done. Including a keg style gas tank from Coyote Gear. The handlebars are the widest moon style I could find and I will be running the brake cables through the bar to bar-end brake handles, a lot cleaner look. But before I get ahead of myself, since I haven't taken pictures of the bike, here are a few picts of the wheels.

Thanks Pat!!!
Well it was a gorgeous sunny day here in Florida. So I got out and took some pictures of the bike. Its a good start. Notice the barefoot pedals for cruisin the beach!!! I'm stuck between wooden fenders from Woody's or maybe thick copper strips for fenders, which would be just as expensive. I have some used planet bike fenders I could rip mounting pieces from, or maybe just make my own out of brass and steel. If I do one custom thing a month till late spring, it should be done for a lot of summer cruising. I'm thinking a glove box in the space up front in the frame, and then put a keg can gas tank on the rear rack. I still plan on eventually adding an electric drive too, with 18AH scooter batteries in saddle bags on either side for a 24v 450 watt motor. I still like the idea of running silent and slow in town and then cranking the gas for the long road. Plus I could run the entire light system off the controller, another benefit of a dual system.
Bikes still sitting in pieces right now. My welding friend has been tied up with work so we haven't had time to work on the mount. Also got to drill out the drop outs so my rear wheel will fit, then its brake line time. Might have the wheels and brakes installed and just cruise around with out a motor for a bit. Winter finally came to Florida, so no hurry to be whisking through the cold breeze, lol.

Worked on a badge for the bike, going to call it Flyer instead of Cruiser, just sounds better and more traditional. Here's a first rough draft of it...
Tad, what a beauty a real neck breaker, as I like to say when I see something that is super beautiful, your Stretch is the Tigers GrowL!!!

Waiting for any new updates on your build, she's SWEET!!!!

Peace Crazy Horse. .shft.

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
Thanks!!! CH,
Like I said kind of on hold, waiting to get the engine mount plate welded and I have to bend my pedal cranks a bit to fit the engine in place where I want it. Got my 32T pedal sprocket in and the bar end brake levers. Still have to get a pedal freewheel, most likely a 20T or 22T, and then some brake parts from Worksman so I can run the brake lines. But I hope to be up and running at least by the end of January! Then towards the spring I'll bust it all down and start the Steampunkn' Got some copper pots I'm modifying to make headlights and tail lights. Then eventually even turn signals. One thing I can say is good luck to anyone trying to steal this bike, it will truly be one of a kind when I get through.

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Thanks!!! CH,
Like I said kind of on hold, waiting to get the engine mount plate welded and I have to bend my pedal cranks a bit to fit the engine in place where I want it. Got my 32T pedal sprocket in and the bar end brake levers. Still have to get a pedal freewheel, most likely a 20T or 22T, and then some brake parts from Worksman so I can run the brake lines. But I hope to be up and running at least by the end of January! Then towards the spring I'll bust it all down and start the Steampunkn' Got some copper pots I'm modifying to make headlights and tail lights. Then eventually even turn signals. One thing I can say is good luck to anyone trying to steal this bike, it will truly be one of a kind when I get through.
You might just wanna get this bike micro-chipped, just like we do with our pets!

Or even better Lo-Jack, with the transmitter hidden in the frame, where they'll never see it, that is if they survive you shootin'em!!! SERIOUS!

Peace Bro!

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
Yea I actually pack the Smith and Wesson .380ACP bodyguard gun with laser sight, so good luck you thieves!!! What was cool is I got a scooter/motorcycle cable lock from Big Lots for $15. Its huge!!! I call it the John Holmes lock. More than enough to scare off a thief, heck they'd probably consider hacksawing the bike before the lock!

BossCat

Nov 29, 2009
Scotland
Simpley place a sticker where potential thieves can see it.

This bike is owned by a nutter!
...and I have a big gun

no chance of that beauty getting nicked :D

Regards
Tom

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
Simpley place a sticker where potential thieves can see it.

This bike is owned by a nutter!
...and I have a big gun

no chance of that beauty getting nicked :D

Regards
Tom
Thanks Tom, I will be putting my NRA sticker on it and maybe a Ranger crest. That should shake someone's nuts.

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
Spring Time is Build Time. Guys going to be starting this build soon. Frame is off for mods at the shop.
1. Having the back dropouts modified for the larger rear axle.
2. Also having brake blocks added to the front fork and rear frame. These are for the drum brake arms to slide over and use for anchoring.
3. Also the engine plate will be added as soon as my new cranks and sprocket come in. I had the one piece sprocket with hexagon hole but the darn thing threaded out on me half way home. It has only been in action for a few months of pedal power and bam... screwed. So out it goes, saves me the hassle of bending the arms out anyway.
4. Having a jackshaft built for the engine and for future electric motor. First of all my rear sprocket is dished and sits far out from the tire, this allows me to run a chain from the engine to a freewheel sprocket on the Jackshaft, then a fixed sprocket to the wheel. Not only can I change out sprockets on the jackshaft for modifying gear ratio, but later I will run a fixed pulley/chain for the electric motor. This allows me to run the engine and the electric motor independently but also turn the electric motor to regenerate power to the batteries. I feel the slight drag will not be too much loss on overall performance.
All I have to do is work out the gear ratios. I'm stuck with the 45T on the rear wheel for now, so everything else has to be in line with it.

Will post progress as soon as I get the frame back from the shop! Yes as many picts as I can take too!!!

Last edited:

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
Darren

how is the bike progressing?

Ron
Hey Ron!
The bike is down at D&D Welding getting the motor mount and a few other mods to it. They should be done with it here in the next week or so, then its back home for getting all the other stuff worked out. Especially the brake lines are going to be my main concern. Then a few other things like the gas tank from Coyote and then Woody's custom fenders, I will add on in the near future. Thanks for asking you must have been psychic as I was just about to start this thread up again. Major change is I bought a front freewheel w/ adapter from Sick Bike Parts, then slapped on their little 24T sprocket so I could get maximum clearance for the engine. Also the thing will be really easy to pedal with all the extra weight. I'm so excited, I just can't wait to cruise the streets stretch stylin' L8R!

P.S. Also laid the jackshaft/electric motor to rest for now. Going to run straight chain to the rear wheel for less drag and less worries.

Last edited:

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
Well, the stretch frame is toast. The rear wheel was just too hard to fit into it. The welder tried to stretch the frame, then welded the dropouts further out, but the sprockets on each side were just to close for comfort. He said he could weld a whole new rear end on it for around $350 to $400. I thought... hmmm, spend $400 on a $150 chinese frame, nah. So I'm at a stand still for the moment. I've spent a lot of money on parts that specifically fit on that frame, but I guess I'm going to look around at options. Hopefully I'll find someone around town that can fiddle with it for a lot less. L8R.