Internal generator for 49cc

GoldenMotor.com

hurricane

Sep 20, 2010
america
Your kidding right ? Isnt this the same thing that comes standard in most 2 stroke engines ? Or am I missing something ?

Freeatlast

Nov 17, 2010
Plano, Texas
Not kidding- this is my first skyhawk- this did not come with it- I've only found it as an add on. I didn't know if any one had added one and/or if it can cause damage to the magneto when loosening the bolts on the magneto. Lord know I tighten a lot of bolts right now with the engine being new. If its a standard part that COMES with it- its news to me.
If theres something I need to know and you can educate me - please do. I stopped trying to learn the hard way a long long time ago. I WILL ask for directions. :)

Last edited:

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
the black tape wraped one accross the end of the mag is an add-on,,,type in the search bar at the top of the page ,there ane threads on these add-ons,,,

Freeatlast

Nov 17, 2010
Plano, Texas
Corgi1 - thank you. Ok- I've reviewed some of the threads. I don't want to risk any over draw on the ignition system. I don't want leds- I have a 3 watt one of those now. I'm going back to incandescent For more light. I really want to try this without using a battery for storage. If I'm eventually successful, I'll post it.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
the battery may act as a buffer at high speed/volt out-put as well as continued head/tail/brake lite when stopped

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Well, every Grubee motor I have installed including the new 2010's have a White wire coming out for raw ~7VAC you can draw 3 or 4 watts off of.

You can buy them for $8 Bicyle Motor Sparker Wire Loop Set Magneto Parts - Motorized Bicyle Sparker Wire Loop Set Magneto Parts - Bicycle Engine Sparker Wire Loop Set Magneto Parts - Motorized Bike Parts
I mean come on, it's just a copper wire coil ;-}

(per you PM) you can step-up the transformer AC up to 12VAC but you would need a battery and DC to store it, and you'd get a trickle charge at best converting it to DC to store it.

I have no first hand knowledge of a self sustaining electrical system for an MB yet, but like you FreeAtLast, an electronics degree and a couple of decades of experience and know how I am going to start.

I am going to start with one or two of these 12V 6W 'tire rub' generators for $17 Lights - Generator 12V | BikeWorldUSA | Bicycle Parts and Bike Accessories

Then mount a 12V battery like this for $16 and full wave rectify the gens in parallel.
Sealed Lead Acid Battery 12V 4.5AH (Upgrade to 5AH) for UPS & Emergency Lights (S)

That will give you some serious Watts.

If you spend more time riding during the day with no power draw it should be able to power some serious lighting you can actually use for an hour or two at a time.

Again, I haven't tried this yet and there are drawbacks to tire-rub generators like sidewall wear, but it sure beats messing with the inside of the motor, your CDI pulse comes from there, mess that up and just like screwing up your cars timing, it won't run.

Just my 2¢ worth.

Freeatlast

Nov 17, 2010
Plano, Texas
Hurricane- thanks-
KC - If I hear what sounds like F-15 going down the street- I hope it won't be that generator or you screaming...:) I'll watch your posts.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Hehehe. MB speeds might be a bit excessive for that generator so a different way to spin it may be needed. Maybe put a little sprocket on the Gen and spin it with the chain.

Freeatlast

Nov 17, 2010
Plano, Texas
Or you can double the size of the drive wheel on the generator and cut the speed by half.
I hear hockey pucks make great material- maybe spin one of those on a grinder and cut it down like a lathe.??

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
SYSOP NOTE!

I will post a complete guild on this sites Tips section when I am done with this new related lighting project, and no, I have nothing for sale in the link, it is research, testing, and specific open idea sharing I just can't try to reproduce here when I have my own server and could use some help there in the same thread about the same specific issue, how to get great lighting on an MB development.

In short I need 12V for this design so I using a little 12V sealed lead acid battery, but it can be adapted to the motors 7.5AC output and a little 6V sealed lead acid battery for 6V lights.
There may even be a way to tap the motors generator in conjugation with a 'tire rub' generator to handle 12V which is what I am doing.

Again, I just can't do it in two place at once but I could really use some input from the smart guys here.

KC's Kruisers - Motorized Bike Forum - Lighting

If all goes well maybe we can come up with the 'perfect system' to REALLY light your way on an MB at high speed in the dark all the time time without ever having to manually replace/charge any batteries ;-}

Thanks in advance for any help on this one.

Last edited: