Orlando Fl
i AM DIRECTED BY THE VENDOR TO:
SPRING FORK FOR 26" BEACH CRUISER BICYCLE BIKE

HE CLAIMS IT IS LABELED 1'

Yet I see NOWHERE in the PICTURE do I SEE the word: 1"
or: one inch
or 1 inch

WORDS MEAN THINGS, remember.

So will a one inch part fit into a bike whose removed steering tube (the threaded part that sticks into the bike thru two bearing races) measures .996"

The ignorant need to know

Thankfully

Yodar

Last edited:

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
i AM DIRECTED BY THE VENDOR TO:
SPRING FORK FOR 26" BEACH CRUISER BICYCLE BIKE

HE CLAIMS IT IS LABELED 1'

Yet I see NOWHERE in the PICTURE do I SEE the word: 1"
or: one inch
or 1 inch

WORDS MEAN THINGS, remember.

So will a one inch part fit into a bike whose removed steering tube (the threaded part that sticks into the bike thru two bearing races) measures .996"

The ignorant need to know

Thankfully

Yodar

I friend bought one for his Huffy WalMart bike. The only problem he had was that he didn't measure twice and cut once...neck a little short but worked out ok. 4 thousands of a inch isn't squat if you are correct..a little sanding would wipe out that much easily. But I don't think you will need to sand, as you might be off (you didn't see any part marked 1" either)...my $0.02

Last edited:

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Yes, most cruisers are 1 inch headsets. That's the outer diameter of the steer tube. They take a 22.2 mm (or 7/8") stem. The springer forks like the one pictured is a 1 inch steer tube.

If a bike has a 1 1/8 inch THREADED headset, (usually mountain and later road bikes) it takes a 1 inch (or 25.4 mm) stem-

a 7/8 BMX headset (and some Schwinns) require a 21.1 stem- the skinniest

In other words, the stem size is always one size less than the headset, because it fits the INNER diameter of the steer tube- which is 1/8" less

Head tubes are specific and can't be substituted- a 1 1/8 headset will not fit a bike that is made for a 1 inch headset

Stems, on the other hand can be shimmed a size larger, but a larger size can't go smaller.

Steer tube length is something else again- and must be measured carefully when ordering-
a longer steer tube can be cut shorter, IF THERE IS ENOUGH THREAD.

Last edited:

yodar

Jul 26, 2010
Orlando Fl
I am going to have to print that out and read it over and over. I THINK i understand, Your laying out the landscape, KAT, was what I needed and i thank you

The fork should arrive early next week when it warms up--Its a WINTER weekend here in Florida 60's days 40's nites ;.)

yodar

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
The safest bet is to go to a bicycle swap meet and take your original fork with you. You can compare the two forks for the proper steering tube length and diameter.

yodar

Jul 26, 2010
Orlando Fl
I am going to have to print that out and read it over and over. I THINK i understand, Your laying out the landscape, KAT, was what I needed and I thank you

The fork should arrive early next week when it warms up--Its a WINTER weekend here in Florida 60's days 40's nites ;.)

yodar
a 1" fork WILL work BUT the bicycle frame member that mounts the fork
must be measured and the fork ordered for that frame member must be
6 3/4" tall and have 4" of threads to work on a HUFFY according to my friend who installed the fork for me

HERE IS THE HUFFY FORK AND SOME MEASUREMENTS

AS DELIVERED any fork you order will be probably be as much as 2"
too long and have to be cut to fit or additional spacer-bushings added

The Huffy needs a bottom race for the bearings to ride, so you will have to carefully use a wooden drift and tap it off for the bearings to work with the new fork

I'll conclude by saying the Chinese Ruler used to make our Huffy's makes adding MECHANICAL parts to the bike is an UNFRIENDLY process. But I ain't
got the money to buy another bike

THANKS for the important data to KAT
Yodar

IamTheBear

Oct 6, 2010
north florida
Ok sorry to pull an old thread back up but, Did the fork fit and how was the shipping time and overall costumer service of the people you ordered from Yodar?

yodar

Jul 26, 2010
Orlando Fl
It's been so long I cant remember the California vendor .

It was an ordinary 1" fork

The threads end up 1/2" too high so I had to use a 1/2" bushing

It's been in service for that long and werosl weel. I'm taking it off to use ona Schwinn Panther I am getting

yodar