Nice LED lights to run off the white cable

GoldenMotor.com

GPXRacer

Oct 2, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I just build up my first motorized bike and I'm struggling with the lights. I went through all the treads and found mostly Norms lamps, but these treads were a bit older. I hope there are better lamps with LED's now.

I found the following LED head lights:
Motorized BIKE GAS ENGINE parts - LED Head Light black
Motorized BIKE GAS ENGINE parts - LED Head Light -black - eBay (item 190441048613 end time Oct-06-10 18:21:52 PDT)

I wanted to use one as headlight and one with a red film/plastic over it as taillight and run it off the white cable of my 67cc. I want to run them day&night.

Did anybody tried these lights before? What do the experts think about it? Will the engine die all the time with two of these lamps?

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Anyone try one of these the price isnt too bad I think I might pick one up just to try it out.

Cheers

GPXRacer

Oct 2, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I received the Lamp today. The quality is very low, but what can you expect for the price. It's not water sealed. The holder is screwed directly into the thin plastic, doesn't look very durable. I ordered two lamps, they are not identical. One lamp has the switch on the side, the other one has the switch under the lamp. The connector to screw it to the frame is on the top side of the lamp which doesn't fit at least for me. (There is a visor on the lamp which defines where is the top of the lamp.)
One of the lamps came with a broken cable connection inside.
The whole lamp is very lightweight.

Attachments

TheE

Jun 26, 2009
Canada
Not the best solder job I've seen, might not be a bad idea to reflow (re-solder) that shiz at some point. It's mostly where the wires connect, the LED board seems alright.

And is it just me, or is that white wire in the last picture disconnected completely?

Last edited:

GPXRacer

Oct 2, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Yes, one of the two lights came with a broken/ disconnected wire. That's what I meant with bad quality.
This pcb was made for something different. Originally it was bigger, I assume the power supply was broken off at the side and replaced with the two hand soldered cables and the resistor.

I haven't modified the gap of the sparking plug yet. If I switch on the light while driving 20mph it shuts off the engine immediately. It's connected to the white and blue wire of the engine (that's what the shop say's on their homepage).
(This happens when connected one lights, my original plan was to use two lights).

:-||

Does modifying the sparking plug gap has a negative influence on the engine performance? What is distance is a good gap? (I use a tool to measure and modify the gap.)

TheE

Jun 26, 2009
Canada
Try connecting it between the white wire and ground first...it makes way more sense that way and for a typical white LED the current is well below what it would take to burn it. Worse comes to worse, you have a spare :)

Last edited:

Shlink

Oct 3, 2010
USA
I have these wired in direct with the flashlight chassis grounded to my frame and they're excellent... Got them from Sam's Club a few years ago.

Unbelievable LED Performance! - Element Super Bright LED Flashlights - 2 Pack - Epinions.com
Hey thats a great idea using flashlights.. I might have to copy your idea.
I noticed those lights take 3 triple A batteries. Doesn't that mean they normally run at 4.5 volts? (1.5 per battery) Have they lasted for a while now on the 6 volts coming from your white wire?(Assuming you used the white wire) If they don't burn out they will probably be even brighter than normal :D

GPXRacer

Oct 2, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Ok, took a while, here is the update.

I had a bad generator coil/ magneto which totally failed a week ago.

After replacing it today the LED lamp works. I connected it between the white and the black wire. The black wire seems to be the same like grounding to the engine block.

With cold engine the lamp didn't kill the engine, haven't heard any difference in engine sound between lamp on and off. The LED's were flickering a bit when not driving.

Haven't tested in the dark yet, I will keep you updated.

CruisinOCMD

Jan 18, 2011
OCMD
Are these bright enough for night use, im using my bike to commute from work and need to find better lights that i dont over drive at speed