Electric Turbo

GoldenMotor.com

rider131

Jul 30, 2010
Canada
Just like the title shows it

Give me your thoughts about this product ,is it worth buying or is it a rip off like that copper intake tube guy.

Electric Turbo 50cc - 500cc For MotorBike moped - eBay (item 320585519938 end time Oct-03-10 17:26:52 PDT)

Another turbo but for a car, thought this item is more detailed http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Turbo-Boost-Intake-Electric-Supercharger-3-Air-Filter-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3a5f16419aQQitemZ250703397274QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
hmmm...

To be honest I've never actually tried one, but there's a few things I'm concerned with regarding such a setup... the first is a relatively minor point to be sure, but "turbo" is a very inaccurate & misleading name, if anything it's a electric supercharger... but w/e lolz

A more relevant concern is I seriously doubt any small electric fan could provide the pressures needed, actual turbos & superchargers are actually high speed compressors providing pounds of boost, not simply fans moving air. A fan can't provide any pressurization at all, try putting your hand over the end of a hair dryer to see what I mean - there'll be plenty of air moving until you cover the outlet, then there'll be no pressure at all.

Even if the above weren't true, these electric fan deals always seem intended to be mounted before the carb, blowing into it like some sort of "ram air" setup - in which case if they did provide any amount of actual pressure would cause the gravity fed carbys to spew fuel everywhere other than into the engine, most likely preventing the bowl from filling & starving out the motor...

Even if mounted after the carby like a proper supercharger (overlooking the lack of pressurization ofc lol) there's the problem of egas, plastic parts & electricity not getting along very well together & given the lack of reed valves on our HTs, the backblow would be an issue no matter if the fan was mounted before or after the carby and in fact is yet more evidence of how a proper turbo/supercharger needs some pretty serious pressures to be effective.

So while I've not tried one and I'm simply theorizing, the above concerns are why I've not bothered experimenting with such. Another minor point contributing to my skepticism is much like the dubious "boost bottles" - I have never, not once, ever seen any of the pros use anything like it on their gokarts, dirtbikes, snowmobiles, ultralights, or any other two stroke... which I can't help but to take as a bad sign given just how desperately competitive those guys tend to be - anything giving them even the slightest advantage & they'd be all over it lolz

*shrug* while I personally think it's a waste of time & money, that it's based on a misunderstood concept at best, a scam at worst - again, it's merely theory on my part... ya can try it if ya want, but don't hold yer breath heh ;)

While not applicable for our two strokes, here's a proper lil baby turbo for around the 200cc range (smallest made): http://motorbicycling.com/f37/alternate-4-stroke-engine-list-19630-3.html#post223094

awww... it's so cute :p /patz

Last edited:

Techbiker

Oct 27, 2009
DFW, Texas
These "electric turbos" are a scam. Ebay sellers often list these for cars too. Basically, the electric fan produces only a fraction of the pressure of a real turbocharger so it ends up restricting the intake more than anything.

DudeZXT

Jun 20, 2010
Lexington, KY
Possibly the only one that isn't a scam is the e-Ram, but I don't think our cheap chinese engines will do much with them... Gotta have a powerful battery on top of that...

DanielMaia

Jun 24, 2009
Portugal
I have a Vantec Tornado Fan 92mm, that produces 120 or 130CFM.

I turned the fan into a 18V battery charger and the fan could walk on their own 8|

The problem is: You need a bigger carb, or you will lean the motor :\

phlangfert

Oct 9, 2010
greeneville tn usa
u cant boost a 2 stroke eng as it will blow the fuel charge straight through the eng n out the exaust its usless, i build n modify nitro rc engines n they sell a tiny super charger for them but they do nothing to help the power at all just cause the engine to wear out faster over heat n a list of other problems