How to make custom gas tanks...

GoldenMotor.com

allen_okc

Aug 18, 2010
oklahoma city, oklahoma
Im starting this thread to get information and pass information on to how to make your own gas tank that has the custom look and fit that we are looking for, to further personalize each of our bikes - anyone that has any advice on how to make a fuel tank please feel free to step in...

ive noticed that a couple of us seem to be very good at making them. so for sale or how to build, would be very appreciated...

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Good thread to start.I'm going to cut all the pieces and get everything ready for my tank and have someone weld it for me.

My question is, what gauge of steel would be best.. maybe someone could post a good range like 18g to 24g for example.

allen_okc

Aug 18, 2010
oklahoma city, oklahoma
you can also use aluminum - but i would think too light of a gauge steel would warp while welding.

also let us know Motomagz, if you can pass on any information from the welder as to the type of weld, mig or tig and of course the proper gauge steel...

would we also have to use a sealant after its put together?

Thank You...

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
I build tanks for all my bikes and use 18 gauge sheet metal. I have is the past silver soldered, brazed and now tig weld the tanks. The tig process seems to be the best but is not for the every day builder.

One of my best tanks is the raw look of a brazed tank that was clear coated. The "Thrasher"

Check out some of my post on my builds and you will see.

I am always open to help anyone out with advice or questions.

culvercityclassic

allen_okc

Aug 18, 2010
oklahoma city, oklahoma
awesome work culvercityclassic, have you considered selling any of the tanks you build - the stock fuel tank is alright, but a custom tank is the best...

good job and Thank You for the heads up...

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
For a simple introduction to the basics of forming and metalworking there's the adventure of my Rollfast tank: http://motorbicycling.com/f38/diy-tank-even-if-you-cant-17323.html

I figure that even if you can't weld, there's no reason to not give making a tank a shot anyway - it's the forming of the tank that takes all the time, you can ofc always just bring in the fitted panels to be welded *shrug*

I agree w/all the above posters and their methods, I jus' wanna see more custom tanks - I really think it makes a world of difference ;)

allen_okc

Aug 18, 2010
oklahoma city, oklahoma
again Thank You Fellows, that is very detailed expanation of how to build a gas tank BarelyAWake, i really like the fuel gauge ideal you have on it, its very retro and clean...

when brazing do you the problems of leaking around the welds?

heres some ideals i found for a stretched beach cruiser...

Attachments

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Well I'm going to get a 4x4 piece of .035 stainless steel tonight for $10 bucks.It has a few holes around the edges but plenty of material to make a tank.Barelyawake you build thread is very good and gives me some good ideas!

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
Any two part clear made for automotive app. I purchase mine from the swap meet.
Kustom Shop products 2k speed urethane clear w/ over-all hardener. Check it out on the net for a good deal. I use a gravity feed spray gun to apply.

allen_okc

Aug 18, 2010
oklahoma city, oklahoma
Harley Davidson shop or any motorcycle outlet will have the sealant for around the gas inlet. BarelyAwake is right again about a two part clear. its more durablee and produces an excellent finish all around. do not use spray can paints...

i use to custom paint harleys in my glory days...

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Thanks allen, but actually my observations regarding rattle-can clears may be dated - amazing advances have been made in all fields & it's tough trying to overcome my own bias and try new things sometimes :p

Tom (2door) has apparently used some single-part clears w/great success, been meaning to try it myself... but lack something I wanna clearcoat lolz;

...As for clearing over them, that's a good idea especially if a gasoline spill is possible. Be sure the clear coat you choose is gasoline resistant.
I've had good luck with Top Flite, model airplane clear coat. It stands up to gas, alcohol and nitromethane. Good luck.
Tom
http://motorbicycling.com/f26/gas-tank-decals-23613.html

Tim_B_172

Aug 26, 2009
Saint Joseph, MO
What about fiberglass tanks? I've built two metal tanks, only one of them worked out in the end and I'm still not happy with it. I'm not that great at welding, but I do know a thing or two about composites. Over the winter I plan to replace my crappy metal tank with a fiberglass one.

Since I haven't done it yet, I can't tell you much about making a tank out of this stuff other than- you must use epoxy resin. As I understand it, polyester is not resistant to gasoline.

allen_okc

Aug 18, 2010
oklahoma city, oklahoma
Thanks allen, but actually my observations regarding rattle-can clears may be dated - amazing advances have been made in all fields & it's tough trying to overcome my own bias and try new things sometimes :p

Tom (2door) has apparently used some single-part clears w/great success, been meaning to try it myself... but lack something I wanna clearcoat lolz;
Sorry my bag - i didnt realize that they have new spray paints that are gas resistant, i'll have to check into that, cause it would make it easier for touch ups and parts painting... Thank You Sir!