recycled gas tank bung for custom tanks...

GoldenMotor.com

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
if you're thinking about making your own custom tank, and you're looking for a bung (filler hole,) look no further than your ugly peanut tank.

most kit tanks i've seen have a pressed-in bung, and you can cut it out and use it on your new tank. (not all are pressed-in. i have one tank that's welded...)

just hack into your tank with a saw or drill a big hole in it, then cut the bung out with some tin snips.

when it's out, there's a lip around the inside that you can pry out of the way with some pliers and a screwdriver. when it's pried out, punch the lip out, and you have a nice little bung.

i've silver soldered one into a copper tank and it's still going strong. i drilled tiny holes all around the lip so the solder has more to stick to.

this would work great on a low-budget tank build, like sheet metal or juice can tanks, and it's free.

the gascap still sucks, but you can replace those for 10 bucks.

(for some reason the picture of the lip around the bung [ha he said lip around the bung:)] didn't show up, but it's pretty easy to figure out)

Attachments

MellowOne

Feb 19, 2009
Powder Springs, GA
I was wondering about this and now I believe I am going to use this idea on my current tank project to cool-low budget this a little more.
Thanks for the insight!