TPD crackdown (Tucson)

GoldenMotor.com

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
the operative word to that whole story is "grant." as in, they just got extra money they need to spend on busting guys on bikes.

it's a sad day when you can't hitch a ride on a car and show everyone how cool you look in your sleeveless T and your Mullet blowing in the breeze...

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
While justifiably uneasy as it could impact our hobby... I gotta say that some enforcement of basic traffic laws as pertains to bicycles is much needed around here at least.

While I'll admit that generally speaking I'm not a huge fan of enforcement, particularly the obviously "petty" laws... it's sad but true that many bicyclists not only consider themselves exempt from any and all traffic laws, that they are in fact somehow superior, that the "right of way" granted to pedestrians and non-motorized vehicles enables them to do as they please - not sharing the roadways, but dominating them.

Time and again I've witnessed stoplights and signs ignored, pedestrians endangered and disregarded, lanes completely blocked by riding three abreast forcing all traffic to slow to a crawl or forced to pass in hazardous conditions despite both the awareness of traffic and a suitably wide shoulder.

While obviously I'm a bicycle advocate - such lack of courtesy, awareness, even blatant egotism does nothing but harm to the sport. While "cagers" are notoriously blind and heedless - their dislike, even hatred of bicycles is not always unjustified.

Naturally, I would greatly prefer a simple attitude adjustment over enforcement, an acknowledgment of basic physics if not just right-of-way... but given the righteous and self-obsessed types that are proving so problematic to any and all others that would try and share the roadways and sidewalks... I doubt they'll change any other way.

It's unfortunate that such law enforcement would most likely effect bicycling as a whole and not just the most grave offenders... discretion and logic not being strong points in general "enforcement"... but it's an unsurprising repercussion given the rampant disregard, even contempt of any/all others whom aren't pedaling by some fanatics, weekend warriors with something to prove.

"It's a bicycle not a crusade, you've lost the fun in your quest for a cause"

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Touching story, a tragedy w/o a doubt...

...but I fail to find any relevance to bicyclists who break traffic laws.

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Touching story, a tragedy w/o a doubt...

...but I fail to find any relevance to bicyclists who break traffic laws.
Right ?

That was about a retired 2 star Admiral run down in a crosswalk on a bicycle.

He was not breaking any laws when he was killed by a person driving a car.

I guess no laws were broken ?

In almost 40 years of driving I can not remember a bicycle pulling out in front of me.

Had a van do it just a few weeks ago.

A pickup truck a couple months ago.

Ran off the road by a RV.

ECT ! ! ! usflg

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
And I have never seen lanes completely blocked by riding three abreast forcing all traffic to slow to a crawl .

Maine bicycle riders must be different than Florida riders !

A lot of us ride all year and do some serious miles ! ! ! It's more than a summertime hobby ! ! !

usflg

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
In almost 40 years of driving I can not remember a bicycle pulling out in front of me...
And I have never seen lanes completely blocked by riding three abreast forcing all traffic to slow to a crawl...
The first is commonplace in cities with bicycle couriers as the most common offender, though it's not uncommon for students on or near a campus - again, more commonplace in urban environments.

The second seems to be increasingly more popular amongst road bikers in rural areas, even within town limits where there's significant traffic yet the speed limits are well outside a bicycle's capability.

A lot of us ride all year and do some serious miles ! ! ! It's more than a summertime hobby ! ! !

usflg

I agree! I choose to ride year-round (commute on a daily basis actually) not despite the hardships of winter - but because of them, I enjoy the challenge.

...Ok, so mebbe I'm a lil crazy lol, but that isn't the point - nor are the majority of fellow bicyclists whom are guilty of no more than enjoying a ride, even using their bike as a viable alternate means of transportation... Not only do I like to consider myself one - theoretically "cracking down on bicyclists who break traffic laws" shouldn't effect you, I or the many thousands that observe basic courtesies, if not the actual traffic regulations.

I'm referring to those that outright endanger others as well as themselves, the ones that don't blow through a stop light simply because there's no traffic - but the ones that think they're skilled enough to beat the odds when there is traffic.

I'm glad it's uncommon or even unknown where you live, but hereabouts it's really becoming a problem. Almost every one of my weekend jaunts includes a "rolling road block" with any number of irate car drivers stacking up behind them.

I suspect they'll disappear come winter tho ;)

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Good article fairracing.

How you ride has a lot to do with how you are treated by everyone.
I live right on the Phoenix/Glendale border on the north side of town so I ride in both cities.

Unless the speed limit is 20MPH I don't ride that slow, usually 30 to 35 depending on conditions and the roads speed limit, and though numerous police have come along side me I just look over, smile and nod, and they smile back and drive away.

I try to ride to be as little of a nuisance to drivers as I can and there are some things that, to me anyway, simply help with that despite being illegal.

Aside from doing my best to pace traffic there are occasions when using the crosswalk at a light makes total sense to me, and one example is the corner of 43rd ave and Glendale.

I have to make right onto Glendale going west every Friday night during rush hour and then make a left just a block down in the middle of the block.

Legally I am suppose to make a right across 3 lanes of traffic, get in the center turn lane, and make a left across 3 more lanes of traffic.

I take the crosswalk (just pedaling) across to the sidewalk and turn in 30' past it into a store parking lot, take that lot all but the last 30' on the sidewalk to the parking lot I want.
The reverse is true when I leave, but I use the crosswalk twice and then pull into lot and just wait for traffic to clear before pull out on the road.

There are a couple of other places I do this as well, especially along the canal paths.
They typically cross diagonally at every major intersection and designed to be perfectly aligned with the crosswalks so I use them to go one side (again just pedaling), and when the light changes take the crosswalk again and right back onto the canal paths where I fire up the motor again.

I have seen the police witness me doing this multiple times and again, they know I am doing this to be safe and not hindering traffic and they never mess with me.

I guess a little instant profiling is also done on their part and it doesn't hurt to look like an unassuming old guy ;-}

Note that I wear a helmet when I'm out, and flashing lights front and rear come dusk.

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
I do about 30 miles a day on my electric bike.... I can't tell you how many times i see other bicyclists, just blow through stop signs, red lights, cross in the middle of the street, etc, etc.... (not to mention the hundred of bikes at night with no lights.)

They really need to crack down on ticketing these people who blantantly cause issues with there bicycle riding.

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Wow ! Ride all year in Maine ! Cool ! ! ! :)

Thanks for sharing.

I don't ride in groups because I like to stop and look at birds or stop for a drink and snack or whatever whenever.

Don't really get the putting on tights and riding bent over 3 wide blocking traffic thing ! ? ! :)

Yeah, ticket them jokers ! ! ! :)

usflg

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I am hearing more and more MB's being impounded just for going a few miles over the speed limit.

Reminder 19mph is the speed limit in AZ

You get caught going over 19mph your bike will be impounded you get ticketed for no M license, no insurance, no registration and the tickets could reach up to the thousands. Not to mention you will have a very difficult time getting your bike out of impound.

AzToker

Feb 28, 2010
Too Stoned, Az
That the main reason why i haven't been out riding. I don't speed on the trike, Just really don't feel like dealing with them. I think someone from tucson should set up a meeting with the mayor n tpd cheif and see what can be done from them impounding it. I think they making enough from tickets itself. I don't see them impounding speeders cars so why should they do it to the mb'ers. Seem even with the nbr stickers don't let you get the bike back right away. An older guy down the road got his impounded because he couldnt come up with proof of ownership. I feel bad for him cuz that his only way around and he won't build a new one. I think tpd really ruined it for him.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Well here is the thing, a few months ago I contacted my local city council member. I told her that tpd is impounding MB's for no proof of ownership and impounding them for just a few miles over the speed limit instead of writing up speeding tickets.

I was surprised when the very next day she sent me a email for tpd transportation Sgt. I have lost the emails but he said that no MB's have been impounded by TPD for speeding. Which I know for a fact is untrue. He also said they do not impound bicycles for no proof of ownership which I also know is not true.

But, the people I was trying to help just disappeared. We need proof and we need MB riders to complain to the city council. When she asked me for proof I had nothing to show her which made me feel like a idiot. So since then I just don't help if no one will help me.

All I can tell you guys is to complain to the Tucson City Council and show them proof that bikes are being impounded for no proof of ownership (I started a thread previously about the matter) and that how unfair it is to impound and write so many tickets just for going a few mph over the speed limit.

Nothing is going to change unless we unite and stand together, just like we did when MB's were banned in Tuscon. It took all of us coming together to fight for the right to ride our MB's.

It is extremely unfair to impound MB's for just going a few MPH over the speed limit. I posted on the Spooky Forum how we need to have some kind of "grace speed" Meaning that you can only receive no insurance, no registration, no licenses tickets after a certain speed above the limit.

As of right now, here is the only way to beat the no proof of ownership

National Bike Registry - Prevent Theft: Register your bike in the NBR Database!

foureasy

Jul 9, 2009
tucson
about two weeks ago i put fresh rings in my motor and went for a cruise. it was just after rush hour ended in downtown tucson, and very few cars. i was southbound on stone ave at fifth going under the underpass, coming out of theunderpass, i rode a 8" wheelie for about ten feet. just as i set the wheel down i see a cop putting his computer away on his motorcycle, he doesn't freak out, twitch, jerk, or anything. just moseys along. i slowed from thirty to about twenty and played it cool. i never saw anyone behind me for about five blocks, where i got pulled over by a different cop 100' from my house. immediately he's like "why are you riding so fast?" i tell him i felt i was going a.safe speed. next is "do you have a motorcycle license?" why yes, i do, here you go. " do you have ins and reg?" then i explain how the mvd needs dot.tires and wont register something that is obviously a.bicycle as a moles or motorcycle or whatever. i tell him i have insurance and registration for two harleys that are older than him, but i choose to ride this bike whenever i possibly can instead.
i ask why he pulled me over. speeding is what he says. at this point i ask him to see the radar gun. he tells me that he "visually paced" me. ok i tell him, i know you guys are trained to do that, where did you visually pace me at, which exact intersection? he starts rambling about the whole timeline, but will not answer my question. so i interrupt him every time he gets off track to ask what exact intersection he saw me at. he changes the subject at this point because we both now know that he never once saw me until he pulled me over.
now he asks what size the motor is. i tell him its a 48. i swear i heard a very tiny little "d'oh!" slip from his lips. 49cc and up is a moped, 48 and under is an assisted bicycle. from the lips of a city court judge, with whom i have had many run ins throuhout my 14ish years of driving.
now that he and i have gotten all this stuff out of the way, he runs my name and gets to see my quite impressive driving history. bummer dude, no warrants and my licence is valid. the last thing he asked was if my address was current. hope, i just bought a house two weeks ago. its right there, i can see it. so i get a ticket for having the wrong address on my licence.

literally the.next day, carl the yard guy where i work, is riding to carls jr on broadway, when he gets pulled over. cop gives him a ticket for riding a moped in a bicycle lane, insurance, registration. and takes carl bike on a flatbed towtruck. carl looks, smells, and sometimes acts like a homeless person. he also has no licence, and does not know his rights.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
The bottom line is TPD don't like us, they have made that clear over the years. And if you break the law they will use any means that is available to them to take our MB's away including impounding for going 1mph over the speed limit and no proof of ownership. It is only US that can change these little loop holes that they use. I have a feeling that it is a small group of TPD officers that do this but nobody wants to share who these officers are.

And please remember the speed limit is 19.999mph and not 20

http://dot.tucsonaz.gov/bicycle/pdfs/moto_bikes.pdf