Converting a Bike into a Tadpole Trike

GoldenMotor.com

vampiric_conure

Jul 21, 2010
Winnipeg, MB, canada
N00bie bike builder needing some advice :)

I'm turning my hack job/rebuilt bike into a tadpole style trike and I'm trying to avoid welding at all costs. The plan I had was inserting an extended axle through the fore-end fork, bolting it on with u clamps and putting wheels on each end. Seems an easy enough design and 99% of my biking is done on roads hauling crap from one side of the city to the other. I have plans on getting a rear mounted electric motor in the next while.

Question is HOW do I attach the front wheels? I know how to do it in theory, but I've never actually done it and have no idea where to start. Will the axle survive in reality?

I'm up to anything at this point. My balance sux on the best of days and a trike would certainly help me out.

zpt

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
While it's true that they're not for "converting" an existing bike into something else, I thought I'd remind people of a free "open source" resource for recumbent design, including complete, downloadable plans... One of the things I particularly appreciate is he includes older, outdated plans & projects with the disclaimer "Previous Revisions DO NOT BUILD THIS" as I for one like to see how ideas evolve, I love to learn from other people's mistakes - it hurts less lol ;)

Jetrike.Com - Download Plans