Here comes the baddest of the bad!

GoldenMotor.com
Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Boss, CH:

I made a dished sprocket from solid steel round stock.

It bolts up to the same hole pattern as the brake rotor. The rotor lays right on the sprocket. There was enough adjustment in the caliper to make up for the .150" thickness of the face of the sprocket.

The Occ hubs were not drilled for a brake rotor...Choppers U.S. has the replacement Spoiler type hubs which are drilled for a rotor.

Jim

Attachments

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Jim, Gene, thank you both for the explanation of the Baddest of The Bad's left side Disc Brake & Drive Sprocket.

Peace Crazy Horse.

DVBikes

Oct 27, 2009
Tampa,Florida
which was my idea the dish sproket. It was desisned for my chopper which most of these sprokets are off of. except the one i dropped and jim had to make another.

BossCat

Nov 29, 2009
Scotland
Still just cant make out how the sprocket/cog attaches to the back wheel missing the disc rotor.

The sprocket and the rotor are mounted to the same 6 hole pattern disc mounting holes of the hub. the disc rotor is not missing !!!?"??
Sorry I ment to say missing the caliper.

I asked Jim on another fourm and this is the reply I got...

I don't have a good pic...All I did was machine a steel sprocket that mounts with the same screws that hold the rotor on. 32T is the maximum tooth count you can use and still retain the rear brake.

Jim

I think what Jim ment was 32T sprocket is the max to retain the disc rotor and miss the caliper!

Regards
Tom

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
The untold story was the abandoning late in development stage of the rear belt drive.
Unfortunately that particular belt couldn't handle the torque. It was rated at about 2X the horsepower.

I tested it on DV's bike. At the time I had figured that the biggest problem was the bump starting of the Chinese engine. The belt only lasted about 1/2 hour...several bump starts, and a few trips up and down the street.

I made a set of sprockets to replace the timing pulleys on DV's bike. That worked out fine.

I thought, since the Morini has a centrifugal clutch, that the belt set-up would work fine on the Spoiler. It didn't...I watched DV ride it down the street, and I could see the belt whipping like a rubber band.

Kawasaki wants to give belt drive another shot for his Morini/Spoiler build. I'm going to try a different series of belt, in kevlar construction.

We'll see what happens.

Jim

BADBOOH

Apr 3, 2010
San Diego CA,
LOVE IT!!!! A little to much motorcycle look for me, but that is some amazing work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

robertgibbs

Mar 1, 2010
oklahoma city oklahoma
This Morini powered Schwinn Spoiler was custom built for forum member GeneFiorot.

After many months of literally looking at this bike and trying to figure out how to "Morini" motorize it, without hacking the original bike, it is 95% complete.

There were a lot of hurdles to overcome in order to pull it off. It is not easy to motorize what was not meant to be motorized and create a finished product that is reliable, safe, and appears "production".

The drive set-up solves two problems:

1) Chain alignment from the engine to the rear wheel.

2) How to retain the original rear disc brake and arrive at a final drive ratio that is not too tall.

The engine mounts needed to be placed so that the engine would sit in the frame naturally yet still provide the neccessary unitization that makes the engine "one with the frame", and not a hap-hazard mounted stress monster that promotes future frame cracks.

The tuned pipe: how to route it, how to make it fit the bike, (look good), how to retain the dimensional data provided by Morini, was also a bit of work.

The additional details of the design process will be added with the pics that follow.

Jim
where did you or where could i get 1 of those jackshaft's
(robertgibbs)

mikldom

Jan 4, 2010
OBX, NC
I am sure this thing cost thousands to produce.. Truly fine craftsmanship and dedication to say the least..

NOW that the R&D is DONE, maybe plans and jigs are made, do you have any plans on making a kit or bolt on setup for the spoilers using the same engine, etc? I am certain the costs would be up there, but, for something as unique as this, it would be worth it.

I would love to scrounge up the money to do this exact same build to my spoiler (of course having JIM do it), just don't have the funds or time.. but seeing that it has been done, maybe it could be produced as a kit.

I guess I am up to 3 full size choppers at the moment,, a Stiletto, and XL, and, the spoiler.. All are in like new condition.. Want to motorize one of them, just not sure which to do..

People will continue to praise your outstanding workmanship... truly a legend!

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
I am sure this thing cost thousands to produce.. Truly fine craftsmanship and dedication to say the least..

NOW that the R&D is DONE, maybe plans and jigs are made, do you have any plans on making a kit or bolt on setup for the spoilers using the same engine, etc? I am certain the costs would be up there, but, for something as unique as this, it would be worth it.

I would love to scrounge up the money to do this exact same build to my spoiler (of course having JIM do it), just don't have the funds or time.. but seeing that it has been done, maybe it could be produced as a kit.

I guess I am up to 3 full size choppers at the moment,, a Stiletto, and XL, and, the spoiler.. All are in like new condition.. Want to motorize one of them, just not sure which to do..

People will continue to praise your outstanding workmanship... truly a legend!
mikldom,

Thank you!

Yes, you are right, all of the programming for the CNC Mill has been done. I also have detailed drawings for all of the components.

The CNC is used primarily to "fancy-up" the parts. There is a lot of manual mill & lathe work required to finish each kit.

Send me a PM

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Brett!!!

How's it goin'?

We're going to try a kevlar belt on Craig's spoiler. They are expensive, but according to the data sheets it should hold up fine.

I figured a chain was a good safety bet for the first Spoiler build...we tried a standard construction belt on Dylans Occ and the Spoiler, it didn't hold up on either one. I got sick of belts after that and decided to go with chain.

Stop by the shop sometime and check out the new stuff!

Jim