Motorized bicycle that'll run on beer

GoldenMotor.com

Lay'emLow

Nov 4, 2009
Gainesville, Fl
Ive got ideas to use a heineken draught keg (the mini 5L kegs) as a gas tank. That is, after Ive emptied it of course!!

Anyway, Im stumped on a good mounting technique. I think the easiest way to do it would be to make a rack and mount it above the rear wheel. I rarely ever make things easy on myself though.

I would really prefer to make a channel in it and sling it over the toptube (for aesthetic purposes, i think this would look awesome!) I realized though that Id be creating two troughs essentially. Does this mean Id need two petcocks? How do other gastanks constructed in this fashion do it?

RedB66

Dec 28, 2007
Sunshine State
Re: MB that'll run on beer

You'll need two petcocks into a "Y" fitting or a crossover. Basically a tube below the tunnel that connects the two halves. The tank pictured shows the two bungs near the top.

Attachments

Last edited:

Lay'emLow

Nov 4, 2009
Gainesville, Fl

Alright, suspicions confirmed, ACE here I come.

Beyond the petcock issue, does anyone have any tips for a first time tank builder? I realize that my welds must be impeccably solid. Is there some kind of substance I can pour in the tank after building, swish around and let dry to ensure a good seal? This could even double as a finish for the bare metal on the inside of the tank (is that even an issue of concern?)

As you can see Im pretty clueless to the specifics of tank building. Id appreciate any guidance you all with more knowledge than myself can impart.

Thanks all for taking the time to read and to share!

Homeless Bob

Feb 25, 2010
Louisiana

...does anyone have any tips for a first time tank builder? I realize that my welds must be impeccably solid. Is there some kind of substance I can pour in the tank after building, swish around and let dry to ensure a good seal? This could even double as a finish for the bare metal on the inside of the tank (is that even an issue of concern?)...
Good luck dude...

Make sure you have good, clean joints and welds... when you're done, put some water in the tank and attach a pressure hose to "pressure test" it and make sure there are no "pinhole" leaks... if so, fix them, if not, empty the tank, dry it, finish the metal, etc. Once fab is complete you can creme the tank with a sealant. You can get tank creme in a lot of "automotive" places.

Finally, do your paint and final finish...

Hope that gives you some insight. There's an old book I have called Metal Fabricator's Handbook that has good info on building tanks.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california

Kreem Products - Kreem Fuel Tank Liner 1 Pint

you can buy a kit from "kreem" that has three stages. a metal etching fluid that'll roughen up the inside of the tank so it'll stick, a cleaner/degreaser, and the coating itself.

i've got it in my tank and it seems to work great.

only problem is, when your tank's all done and you want to go riding, you have to wait 24 hours for the kreem to set up. so you sit there and stare at it, willing it to dry faster, as it sits on your workbench mocking you.

Lay'emLow

Nov 4, 2009
Gainesville, Fl

I knew there was something out there for that purpose.... I just had no idea what it was.

Thanks for pointin me in the right direction fellas. As soon as I get any progress done Ill post some pictures. In the mean time... cheers!

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX

My non-motorized bikes have been running on beer since I turned 18.

diceman2004

Aug 26, 2009
Kitchener , Ontario

if you are going to weld , solder or braze the beer keg , you can kiss the hieneken paint job good buy , you,ll need to drink another keg and make a skin for the burnt keg ( if ya wanna keep the hieneken theme going )

Lay'emLow

Nov 4, 2009
Gainesville, Fl

Ive been messin around with bits and pieces of this build here and there. I just cut the mini keg to where I want it to fit and man am I happy with the look it created. The heineken logo isnt that important to me... actually it looks kind of funny being the only piece of the bike that isnt weathered. I was actually thinking of stripping it to bare metal and letting it get a little surface rust (patina to the classy ones).

I snapped some pictures to let you guys see what direction Im heading. Look close in the bottom of the wide shot and you may spot another upgrade from my last build. Ill give you a clue, it rhymes with kift sh-t.

I didnt realize how thin the mini keg's metal is. Ill definitely blow right thru it with my flux core mig. I think it may come down to renting something for more delicate work from harbor freight. Any recommendations?

Thanks for lookin yall!

Attachments

furament

May 31, 2009
ontaro

just thinking could you stash a penut tank insideit?? you know cut a hole for the filler and maby glue it to the top an sides might save some fabwork youknow

Lay'emLow

Nov 4, 2009
Gainesville, Fl

Another day of building in the books. Main accomplishments today: mounted motor only to realize I have a sprocket alignment issue, realized theres no way ill be able to build that tank on my own (any veteran fabricators wanna do some work for a fella??), and get my controls planned and layed out on the handlebars.... including the reason for this reply.

I fabbed up a dual pull brake lever from one I took from some old downturned bars, and modified them to fit exactly my needs. First I had to alter the lever itself to get enough action out of it, as its now mounted on straight bars. Second I modified it to actuate both front and back brakes together.

I created a little bracket with two holes for the two cable ends and attached it to the original lever mount. I then spliced the two cables with a crimper and I had myself a dual pull brake lever. As a fail safe, the back brake's cable runs straight thru the crimp and is not cut.

Thanks for lookin!
LeL

Attachments

Lay'emLow

Nov 4, 2009
Gainesville, Fl

A little over a month later and my baby is just about road ready. I took her for a test spin, and MAAAN does she fly... unfortunately due to a brake issue, that was almost my last ride on her. Thanks to SBP's dual pull ill be riding safe again in a day or two.

Anyway, I just want to show everyone my [near] finished product. With much aggravation, I welded in a tunnel and fittings for the keg can gas tank. I think the headlight is a little cheesy but the 'frenched' taillight in the fender came out rather nice. I wish I could keep my home made dual pull brake lever, but its just not reliable enough. The bulb on the end of the cable keeps popping out of its fitting in the lever. Anyone familiar with this issue? The grips came out looking pretty cool too. The other one is about to be fitted. I hope you guys dig the ratty unfinished style I got goin here. Im in love, and judgin by the heads Im turnin Im not the only one...

Attachments

Lay'emLow

Nov 4, 2009
Gainesville, Fl

while im at it, check out the next project in line!

im not going to motorize this one. however should make one mean bicycle with a waaaaay layedback seat [might even need a sissy bar] and the 26" wheels on a 20" frame...

Anybody have thoughts on handlebars??

Attachments

Tim_B_172

Aug 26, 2009
Saint Joseph, MO

Lay'emLow, Love the gas tank. I saw a pic somewhere on the internet of an MB with a side-car made out of a full size keg. I wish I could remember where I saw that. Anyway, if you wanted to keep the keg theme going then that would be a good option, plus you could haul groceries in it. ;)

I do have a question though. What did you use for a filler neck and gas cap on you're tank?

Lay'emLow

Nov 4, 2009
Gainesville, Fl

Thanks Starch!! On my gold lowrider I would get stares from everyone... Now I just get looks from people who know what theyre looking at =]

Tim, when I was doing research for the keg tank, I saw the same picture, very inspiring. Also saw a picture of a urinal made from a keg... puttin the beer right back where it came from. Amazing the uses for an empty keg shell when you get a little creative!

The filler neck and cap came right off the peanut tank that came with the engine kit. Theyre vented and everything. It just took a little massaging to get neck flange to fit the contours of the keg, then its just a matter of some delicate mig welding.

In case youre curious, for the drain fittings I just used standard pipe fittings... a steel bung so that I could weld it to the tank and a brass barbed fitting threaded into the bung for the fuel line to slide onto.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO

make a tank that will fit inside ,and hinge the keg over it for the good looks