3 Speed Trek

GoldenMotor.com

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
I finally finished my 3 speed bike that hopefully will be my daily rider. I started with a mid 90's Chromoly Trek Mt. bike frame. Laced up my own double wall Rims since I wanted something very reliable for the 3 speed Sram I Motion hub and the pricey Michelin tires. Installed the RS Jett front fork I found on e-bay. Had to modify the head tube for the 1 1/8" threadless fork, since it was originally a 1' fork. Also has modified expansion chamber from pocket bike.* I built the entire jack shaft set up, since I wanted to try my own version. The bike is all wired for 12 volt SLA battery which will set on the small machined rack in back. It will have working 12 l.e.d. headlight, twin l.e.d. tail lights and 12 volt Motorcycle horn.* All brakes, cables and add on parts are new. The only thing I have left to do is install the Stewart Warner "old style" speedometer, and add another small tensioner for the pedal chain.** John

Attachments

jay sawdust

Aug 11, 2009
kauai,hawaii
Fabulous man...thats the ultimate setup in my mind...I too want to build a 3-speed with a shift kit for my daily driver...Got my eyes on a Globe 700c with front suspention and shimano 3-speed hub....awesome job on your jackshaft set-up....J

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL
Very nice indeed, Good work Retmachinist you never fail to disapoint us! you bring nice work to the table. what would really be cool is to have disc brakes front and rear!

toker_ace

Oct 15, 2008
alabama
Dammit John! That thing is way to nice to ride!Some street thug gonna knock you in the head and take that thing.Man that is sweet! If the gearing is right you might as well sale all the other bikes.Muti-speed MB's is the only way to go! Great Job! I know your proud of this one! Now what?

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
Dammit John! That thing is way to nice to ride!Some street thug gonna knock you in the head and take that thing.Man that is sweet! If the gearing is right you might as well sale all the other bikes.Muti-speed MB's is the only way to go! Great Job! I know your proud of this one! Now what?
I have to put in a Big thanks to Jeff (Toker ace) for prodding me to build this bike. He kept on me about building a shift kit, multi speed bike. He said if I ever ride one I will be hooked and won't care to ride another single speed.
I guess I will find out as soon as some of this Fricken snow melts and I can get it out in the street.
If thats the case I will have several single speed MB's to sell.

Thanks again Jeff

John

Tcams

Oct 18, 2009
Tucson, ZonieLand
I must say again this bike is one of my favorites. I would love to see a video of it in action as well as the horn, lights ect. If you dont have time to make the video you can send me the footage and I would be so glad to put a cool video together for you.

Let me know

Tcams

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
I must say again this bike is one of my favorites. I would love to see a video of it in action as well as the horn, lights ect. If you dont have time to make the video you can send me the footage and I would be so glad to put a cool video together for you.

Let me know

Tcams
As soon as the snow and ice melts from the streets here in my neighbohood, I will be taking it for a test ride. I will try to get a short video from a cell phone.

John

Attachments

jimrandolph

Nov 28, 2009
signal mountain, tn.
I finally finished my 3 speed bike that hopefully will be my daily rider. I started with a mid 90's Chromoly Trek Mt. bike frame. Laced up my own double wall Rims since I wanted something very reliable for the 3 speed Sram I Motion hub and the pricey Michelin tires. Installed the RS Jett front fork I found on e-bay. Had to modify the head tube for the 1 1/8" threadless fork, since it was originally a 1' fork. Also has modified expansion chamber from pocket bike.* I built the entire jack shaft set up, since I wanted to try my own version. The bike is all wired for 12 volt SLA battery which will set on the small machined rack in back. It will have working 12 l.e.d. headlight, twin l.e.d. tail lights and 12 volt Motorcycle horn.* All brakes, cables and add on parts are new. The only thing I have left to do is install the Stewart Warner "old style" speedometer, and add another small tensioner for the pedal chain.** John
John, That is the MOST GORGUS bike I have ever seen! I am getting a Harley Davidson, with a Samano nexis 7 hub, and I'm gonna put an engine on it, I sure would like to have a jack shaft like yours. I have seen one on the internet, but it looks like 1/10th the quality of yours. Would you consider building me one??? I'll post some pics of the bike.
Thanks Jim

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
John, That is the MOST GORGUS bike I have ever seen! I am getting a Harley Davidson, with a Samano nexis 7 hub, and I'm gonna put an engine on it, I sure would like to have a jack shaft like yours. I have seen one on the internet, but it looks like 1/10th the quality of yours. Would you consider building me one??? I'll post some pics of the bike.
Thanks Jim
Jim, Trouble is I make all my parts for the specific bike that they are going on. There is no way I could just look a pictures of your bike and build the jackshaft kit with the side plates and everything.
Clearances get a little tight even when I have the bike to work with.
The distance between the seat tube and tire, and the angle that the motor sits make a huge difference.
I just don't want to take a chance building something that might not work out on your bike.

John

nemlu7

Dec 25, 2008
malta
thats what dreams are made of!!!!!!!!!!1dance1

michaelgrav

Sep 14, 2009
sf bay area
Dang John,
Sweet Job! I would defiately like to have that Jackshaft set up w/ idler!!!!
What kind of lighting system is that??? To Cool!, your off in the direction these bikes need to go.
If you decide to produce more of those Jackshaft assemblies I am sure we would all be interested. Nothing like gears..shft.
Thanks
Mike