Why?

GoldenMotor.com

sojudave

Oct 18, 2008
austin tx
Why why why why....why. Why do the Chinese insist on using the cheapest POS screws? AND WHY DO THEY INSIST ON OVER TORQUING THEM!! AAAAARRRRRRGGGHHH!!

K.i.p

Nov 8, 2009
CNY
I have thought about the slotted screw heads myself. I figure it one of two ways or maybe both. It's cheaper to make slotted screw heads and the slotted screw heads keep the assemblers from over doing the torque and snapping them off. I'm working on a build with a vintage feeling so I am willingly keeping the slotted heads. I've had the covers off and on and it seams a proper fitting screw driver blade works wonders. They are tight but a good fitting large screw driver does back them out. I can only speak for myself.

sojudave

Oct 18, 2008
austin tx
I'm working with a 4-stroke so I've replaced all but two clutch cover screws, and the four screws that bolt the engine to the plate with allen bolts from home depot. Then I locktited the ayche ee double hockey sticks out of them. I would recommend anyone with anything but allen bolts on their engines to do this. It will allow for tighter fastening and less odds of stripping.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
I bought some door weatherstrip screws from HD the other day......even WORSE than HT hardware, if you can even get your head around that. Fasteners made out of pot metal - pure junk. I took them back the next trip and laid into them. I'm writing a letter to HD. I'm not expecting Aerospace titanium hardware for my house, but wow....

rkorson4209

Oct 10, 2009
michigan
I just went to my local Hardware store yesterday, and bought 12 metric socket head screws. For all my side covers. They seem to work better, seem tighter, and alot easier to work on. A lil pricey tho. I paid $9.20 for the 12. I have 2 more motors, thats close to 30 bucks for screws. Crazy. I ordered a intake manifold from jim at creative, and when I got it, he included a couple extra alen heads, so i used them on my muffler, and on my other motors intakes, looks nice, and seemed to be easier.

exavid

Dec 12, 2009
Medford, OR
The screws and bolts used in bicycles and these motor kits are pretty small. It isn't practical to use the "reef it down until it goes soft and back it out on quarter turn" method. These fasteners, except for the head bolts, need to be snugged down, not as tight as you can get them. No gorilla needed here.
Allen head socket screws are good, second choice would be slotted heads. Worst of all is Phillips, these are the easiest to strip out the heads to the point the screwdriver won't take them out. Be careful with Loctite, it can make it difficult to remove the screws later on. One useful thing is to replace the nuts on the mounting bolts with self locking nuts. Not on the exhaust or intake unless you get all metal self locking nuts which won't lose their grip when hot.

Last edited:

the new ausped

Feb 10, 2010
australia
I bought some door weatherstrip screws from HD the other day......even WORSE than HT hardware, if you can even get your head around that. Fasteners made out of pot metal - pure junk. I took them back the next trip and laid into them. I'm writing a letter to HD. I'm not expecting Aerospace titanium hardware for my house, but wow....
we get a bit of haat here makes you wonder how they dont break them while trying to make them.... to help the issue ask them to ask the makers of the **** to put fragile on the boxes the screws get shipped in

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
Why why why why....why. Why do the Chinese insist on using the cheapest POS screws? AND WHY DO THEY INSIST ON OVER TORQUING THEM!! AAAAARRRRRRGGGHHH!!
For the same reason there's 2 billion people in that country....they don't know when to quit....

Salty.shft.

marts1

Sep 18, 2009
Oshawa Ont CA
The screws and bolts used in bicycles and these motor kits are pretty small. It isn't practical to use the "reef it down until it goes soft and back it out on quarter turn" method. These fasteners, except for the head bolts, need to be snugged down, not as tight as you can get them. No gorilla needed here.
Allen head socket screws are good, second choice would be slotted heads. Worst of all is Phillips, these are the easiest to strip out the heads to the point the screwdriver won't take them out. Be careful with Loctite, it can make it difficult to remove the screws later on. One useful thing is to replace the nuts on the mounting bolts with self locking nuts. Not on the exhaust or intake unless you get all metal self locking nuts which won't lose their grip when hot.
I will never understand how philips bits ever came to be popular in the slightest degree, and yet we see so many of these lame heads out there. I must be missing something. I highly doubt it but maybe thier cheaper to make.

exavid

Dec 12, 2009
Medford, OR
Phillips head screws have the advantage of being power driven, something which you can't easily do with slotted screws. Phillips headed screws were one of the earliest designed for power driving, there were some others but the Phillips was the most popular. In more recent times others have been adopted, Allen and Torx have the advantages that they will stay on a driving tool without any fancy clips or holders but Phillips are still the most common. The worst problem with Phillips is people using the wrong sized driver which will quickly strip the screw head. The main drawback of Phillips heads is that they make removing screws more difficult because you need a lot of downward pressure to keep the driver in the screw head which conflicts with the action of the screw wanting to rise up against the force while being removed.

marts1

Sep 18, 2009
Oshawa Ont CA
Yes, I knew about the power drive thing, just didn't mention it because accept for the larger screws the power punch tool shouldn't be needed and also they cost money of course.

momentummotorgroup

Apr 10, 2009
grand rapids, michigan
in the end you get what you pay for, period. I change out all my screws with hardened metric replacements on every build.. There isn't much room to complain when it comes to buying an engine for $150 bucks. That's why we're all here - to help each other with ideas and work-throughs.

When it comes down to it, we can be as snarky as we want to be about the Chinese, but in the end, we're going to buy their kits because they are cheap, and not to get political, but we're currently like 3 trillion in debt to them because we needed money for the wars and we tend to buy up every cheap crap gimmick schtick that they shill out.

our best option is to reverse engineer these things here and make a more solid engine.

the other option is to learn Chinese and address them directly.

I'm think I'm gonna stick with spending the extra $10 on the upgraded fasteners and buying boutique parts sold through the vendors here.

;P

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
in the end you get what you pay for, period. I change out all my screws with hardened metric replacements on every build.. There isn't much room to complain when it comes to buying an engine for $150 bucks. That's why we're all here - to help each other with ideas and work-throughs.

When it comes down to it, we can be as snarky as we want to be about the Chinese, but in the end, we're going to buy their kits because they are cheap, and not to get political, but we're currently like 3 trillion in debt to them because we needed money for the wars and we tend to buy up every cheap crap gimmick schtick that they shill out.

our best option is to reverse engineer these things here and make a more solid engine.

the other option is to learn Chinese and address them directly.

I'm think I'm gonna stick with spending the extra $10 on the upgraded fasteners and buying boutique parts sold through the vendors here.

;P
Well versed...admirable to a fault.....indeed we are slaves until an American company decides to rain upon us ....There's still ....TWO BILLION Chinese ......okay....a Russian design.....manufactured in China ....sold throughout Canada....and implemented in the States....I think I get the gist of it ....but I might be wrong.....I'm open to suggestions and take kindly to advice......

Thanks,
Salty.shft.