Slow going...

GoldenMotor.com

jbones9869

Nov 24, 2009
Chicago
*UPDATE*
Polished and mounted the truss rods and gooseneck clamp... these must have been from an old bicycle bacause there was quite a bit of rust. I had to slightly bend the curve at the top of the rods to make em fit. Now the front assembly is done except for the brakes. I slipped on the larger (throttle) gran turismo grip for show and put on the rear tire to see how she looks so far...

P.s. - Dumb question: If I'm installing a front brake... the brake lever goes on the right handle with the twist grip... left side is the clutch lever and dummy grip (right)?

Attachments

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Lookin' cool JB! The big tank with the over sized tires really gives her a funky one of a kind look. May I be so bold as to offer the suggestion of a lay back seat post? Would really set off the look she has going on.

LOL, dumb answer. Had to hold my hands up in front of me and make braking hand gesture motions to think it out. (Carol walked in while I was doing it so also made sound effects but was more motor boat sounds, snork) But ayup, rear is right and all's that is left for brakes is left.

Just a thought. Is important to keep it universal so folks don't launch them selves over your handle bars or our selves over theirs while braking. Don't ask me how I know, hehe. (but got a cool scar)

Really looking forward to seeing her finished. Purty work JB!

jbones9869

Nov 24, 2009
Chicago
Layback seatpost is almost a must... the seat is too close to the end of the tank and just throws it off balance! We think alike. Yeah... I'll have the coaster brake for the rear and the caliper for the front. The guy at the local bike shop sold me a right hand brake lever and a rear brake assembly even though I specified "front brake"... I'm all confused now!

Lol... p.s. - purposely switching brake levers might be a good security method... steal my bike... you'll have fun until it's time to stop!!!

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Snork, that security measure is just so wrong. I might have to do it, lol.

Just went out to the garage and checked 3 bikes. The front brake is left. (is the morning after the night b4 and I ain't hitin' on all 8 cylinders)

Attachments

Last edited:

jbones9869

Nov 24, 2009
Chicago
I love that seatpost... nice touch. I'd pay someone to make me one. I've exhausted all internet searches for a post like that. I know ghent cruisers sells a boardtrack style post, but I like how yours is a bar and it is not so drastically low. Tried searching out a vintage one, but they don't come in 7/8"!

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I love that seatpost... nice touch. I'd pay someone to make me one. I've exhausted all internet searches for a post like that. I know ghent cruisers sells a boardtrack style post, but I like how yours is a bar and it is not so drastically low. Tried searching out a vintage one, but they don't come in 7/8"!
Yer local metal shop outa be able to kick you out one o'those without a problem - but it'd be best if you brought in yer old post just to make sure the diameter is exactly the same.

Should be about $10 or so depending on their labor rate ;)

jbones9869

Nov 24, 2009
Chicago
I think I will pay a visit to the local machine shop here in town... never thought of that! Hope to be ordering my engine kit soon too...

jbones9869

Nov 24, 2009
Chicago
Mad props to pirate cycles... I had a pk80j kit at my door in three days! Also, Jim got me that beautiful looking sprocket and adapter too. Other progress...

-Matching brake and clutch lever from Calumet Cycles along with a bulldog front brake and cable
-36 tooth crank sprocket to make take-off quicker
-The gran turismo grip on the twisty and put on the dummy

Looks like I might be able to do this right after all... (although I haven't even started the hard part yet)!!!

Attachments

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
$25 for a tank is a good

I want one....I need one....RIGHT NOW !.....can you give me the specifics for ordering one ?

Much obliged Dan,
Salty.shft.

jbones9869

Nov 24, 2009
Chicago
Search for a "pagsta mini chopper tank" on ebay. It comes without the gas cap and petcock. Gas caps that fit are $30 and come all the way from hong kong. The petcock recommended by the seller is the same petcock used for a lazer general moped. Problem is... I held off on ordering the petcock... and now ebay says the seller is out of stock. I hope I can either find it elsewhere or fab the kit petcock to work! You will also have to fab the tank mounts... I've seen people use u-bolts but I opted to buy a billet clamp described earlier in this thread. I like the way the tank looks on the bike though! I recommend the tank (so far)!

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
Search for a "pagsta mini chopper tank" on ebay. It comes without the gas cap and petcock. Gas caps that fit are $30 and come all the way from hong kong. The petcock recommended by the seller is the same petcock used for a lazer general moped. Problem is... I held off on ordering the petcock... and now ebay says the seller is out of stock. I hope I can either find it elsewhere or fab the kit petcock to work! You will also have to fab the tank mounts... I've seen people use u-bolts but I opted to buy a billet clamp described earlier in this thread. I like the way the tank looks on the bike though! I recommend the tank (so far)!
Thanks JBones....going to tag this thread and wait for some net result news......don't want to get into anything that may not be feasible in the end ...I do appreciate it though !

Thanks,
Salty.shft.

tommyboy1442

Nov 25, 2009
chicago
thanx bones,the clamp fits well here, for 1 1/2" downtubes. appreciate the input. im using that clamp for a lower motor mount.

PaulFlorida

Dec 4, 2009
central florida
Hey SaltyGator- There is a MASSIVE motorcycle bone yard in Inverness, about 5 miles south of 44. Thats where I go to pick-and-pull hard-to-find parts. Sadly, cant remember the name... anyway the proprietor is real cool and you can talk him down. He usually throws a high price out there initially. TANKS GALOR

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
Excellent Paul....I'm probably 2 hours or so north of Inverness... I know where it is ....hhmmm... ( wheels are turning....no pun intended ! )

Thanks,
Salty.shft.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
lol JB, did you catch the enticement to buy the petcock? "remove your gas tank without dangerous spillage"

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Nice find Ray! TY. What size are our stock tanks? Took a stock petcock apart the other day. Think it is the only really sad part of the design