Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
UPDATE!!! Code 14-286 has disapeared from their web site. All I can find is;

"Motor-Driven Cycles (Mopeds)
Connecticut law distinguishes the difference between a motorcycle and
a motor-driven cycle, commonly known as a moped. A motor-driven cycle is
defined as any motorcycle, motor scooter, or bicycle with an attached motor that
has a seat height of at least 26 inches and a motor that produces no more than five
brake horsepower. You must have a valid driver’s license to operate a motor-driven
scooter, but do not need a motorcycle endorsement.
NOTE : Effective October 1, 2008,16-and 17-year-olds must wear protective
headgear when operating a motor-driven scooter.
In addition, if the speed limit on a road is greater than the maximum speed
of the motor-driven cycle, you may only operate that cycle in the right hand traffic
lane or on a usable shoulder on the right side of the road, except if preparing to turn
left at an intersection or into or from a private road or driveway.
A motor-driven cycle cannot be operated on a limited access highway or
turnpike."

Awesome!!!! Makes my HF legal!!!!!

Link to site; DMV: http://www.ct.gov/dmv/lib/dmv/20/29/cycman.pdf

Important Information About Motorcycles, Motor Driven Cycles, Motor Scooters, Mopeds and Three-Wheeled Vehicles

Last edited:

Frankr66

Sep 15, 2008
I have a son who has a mental handicap and is 17 years old. I would like to purchase a 50cc gas scooter or moped for him to get to work.

I do not want him to have a license since not only will my insurance go sky high I do not want him driving a car godforbid he hurts someone.

Would he qualify for the special waiver where he could ride one without a license? would it have to be a moped with pedals? he really wants a gas scooter.

Thank you in advance for any help

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Hi Frank, Yes, I believe he would qualify and law states that a motor assisted bicycle needs not have peddles. It would be **** to get the waiver though as DMV has not a clue about their own dictates. I am not being factious here, it is just true. Honestly, I would spend a day there and try and get one. Document who you spoke with and at what time as a precaution. But the bicycle with motor assistance law was written before the legislation removing the need for peddles. so is legal limbo there. I would love to help you in this matter. In the past, I spent 6 hrs at the DMV trying to get the application for the waiver,and the closest I got was an inter-office memo stating that DMV workers must stop registering 50cc and below bikes. Please keep me informed and I will help any way I can.
God bless you both and keep up the good fight!

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
In rereading it carefully, your son could demonstrate that he could ride a bike, and still ride a scooter with the permit. Is way round about, but might satisfy bureaucracy. I am writing the commissioner of the DMV for clearifaction and will post any reply I get. I just have to wade threw the CGS and try and have the answers to the "go away questions"

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
email to DMV;
Hello, I hope this finds you well. I am seeking information regarding CGS 14-286, paragraph C(1). How does one go about obtaining the forms required for a "special permit that authorizes such person to ride a bicycle with a helper motor" The person on who's behalf I am writhing is 17 years of age and mentally handicapped. He would like to obtain a scooter of less then 50cc's. I have spent a day at the DMV and there seems to be some confusion on this matter.

Thank you for your time and please have a great day.
--
Danny

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Recieved by me today from the DMV;

DMV Phone Center to me
show details 4:03 PM (4 hours ago) Reply

You must make your request in writing to the Commissioner of the DMV and include...
according to CGS 14-286 (c) (1) - (A) a certificate by a physician licensed to practice medicine in this state that such person is physically disabled, as defined in section 1-1f, other than blind, and that, in the physician's opinion, such person is capable of riding a bicycle with a helper motor.
Please click on the link provided below for the complete statute.
CHAPTER 248* VEHICLE HIGHWAY USE

You can mail the request to:
Department of Motor Vehicles
Attn: Commissioner Robert M. Ward
55 West Main St.
Waterbury, CT. 06705

Thank you for writing to the State of Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles. We make every attempt to address your questions with importance and respond within 5 to 7 days. A response may be in the form of an e-mail attachment or in the event your question requires special handling, you will receive a written response from a specialized DMV agent. Most DMV information may be found on our website at dmvct.org
Please contact us again if you require further assistance.
You may also contact us by telephone at: 1-860-263-5700.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
“THREE-FEET” PASSING RULE – IT’S THE LAW!
Public Act 08-101, effective October 1, 2008, requires Connecticut motorists to allow at least three feet of separation when overtaking and passing cyclists. Failure to do so could cause motorists to receive a fine. Because of the large disparities in size, weight and speed between bicycles and motor vehicles, cyclists are at a tremendous disadvantage in the result of a collision with a car or truck. This new law strives to increase motorist awareness of bicycles, and to make conditions safer by preventing collisions.

rmeloy34

Mar 26, 2009
Wallyworld Conn.
“THREE-FEET” PASSING RULE – IT’S THE LAW!
Public Act 08-101, effective October 1, 2008, requires Connecticut motorists to allow at least three feet of separation when overtaking and passing cyclists. Failure to do so could cause motorists to receive a fine. Because of the large disparities in size, weight and speed between bicycles and motor vehicles, cyclists are at a tremendous disadvantage in the result of a collision with a car or truck. This new law strives to increase motorist awareness of bicycles, and to make conditions safer by preventing collisions.
Dan,wherd'ya find that?,I wish they would put it in the paper!!,Id be curious to see all the laws concerning us....Thanx

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
UPDATE!!! Code 14-286 has disapeared from their web site. All I can find is;

C onnecticut law distinguishes the difference between a motorcycle and
a motor-driven cycle, commonly known as a moped. A motor-driven cycle is
defined as any motorcycle, motor scooter, or bicycle with an attached motor that
has a seat height of at least 26 inches and a motor that produces no more than five
brake horsepower. You must have a valid driver’s license to operate a motor-driven
scooter, but do not need a motorcycle endorsement.
NOTE : Effective October 1, 2008,16-and 17-year-olds must wear protective
headgear when operating a motor-driven scooter.
In addition, if the speed limit on a road is greater than the maximum speed
of the motor-driven cycle, you may only operate that cycle in the right hand traffic
lane or on a usable shoulder on the right side of the road, except if preparing to turn
left at an intersection or into or from a private road or driveway.
A motor-driven cycle cannot be operated on a limited access highway or
turnpike.
"

Awesome!!!! Makes my HF legal!!!!!

Link to site; DMV: Important Information About Motorcycles, Motor Driven Cycles, Motor Scooters, Mopeds and Three-Wheeled Vehicles

dance1

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Yeppers Schwinn. Upper right of folks posts, if they choose to say, is their location. Also Join date and number of posts.

CT really is great about em. Seat 26" high. 5 HP or less engine, DL and your golden.

From the CT DMV's Motorcycle hand book;

http://www.ct.gov/dmv/lib/dmv/20/29/cycman.pdf
Connecticut law distinguishes the difference between a motorcycle and a motordriven cycle, commonly known as a moped. A motor-driven cycle is defined as any
motorcycle, motor scooter, or bicycle with an attached motor that has a seat height of
at least 26 inches and a motor that produces no more than five brake horsepower. You
must have a valid driver’s license to operate a motor-driven cycle, but do not need a
motorcycle endorsement.

NOTE: Sixteen-and 17-year-olds must wear protective headgear when operating a
motor-driven cycle or motorcycle.

In addition, if the speed limit on a road is greater than the maximum speed of the
motor-driven cycle, you may only operate that cycle in the right hand traffic lane or
on a usable shoulder on the right side of the road, except if preparing to turn left at an
intersection or into or from a private road or driveway. A motor-driven cycle cannot be
operated on a limited access highway or turnpike.
Driver’s License Required To Operate Any Motor Vehicle"

Hmm, helmet thing might have gotten ya pulled over. I always wear one in-part to let know cars I am on more then just a bicycle and they pull out far less on ya. That and crashes with out them suk, lol.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Har! lol. I didn't know this was my thread. 2 funny. Went to see who the OP was. "I have seen the dope and he are me"

In my defense, if there could be one. Both the thread and me are old. Snork

Schwinn the Fox

Aug 13, 2010
Stafford Springs, CT
im look to buy a motorcycle type helmit. Like the white ones with the little black visors people wear when they drive little mopeds and stuff. You know anywhere where I can get one? Money order is my only method of payment since i dont have paypal.