Body mounts

GoldenMotor.com

Rockenstein

Feb 8, 2009
Ontario, Canada
I finally got the Lexan that I was after for the bodywork last week so I figured today was a good day to get started on the mounts. In total I have 8 mounts to braze on in various locations and that part I'm hoping will go smoothly...the hardest thing so far was stripping the paint so I have a clean surface to work with.

Wish me luck :D

Last edited:

Rockenstein

Feb 8, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Well I've got the 5 main mounts brazed on...they didn't turn out so bad I guess considering I suck with a torch and cut the strips with a pair of surplus store snips :oops: Still need a few more mounting points but I'm holding off on them for the night as I want to put the motor back in and double check my mounting locations on the seat tube and down near the bottom bracket.

The picture shows the left side panel template roughly in the position I have in mind Tom. For the top I'm undecided if I should make it square or form it with a heat gun over a 2" pipe so as to have a nice radius. I would have liked to make the whole thing a one piece unit but I was not certain I could form it properly and didn't want to risk ruining 60 bucks worth of lexan...so 3 pieces it is. On the front I'm thinking a small bit of lexan wrapping around the head tube will do the trick and look proper. The lower area along the length of the down tube and up the back side of the seat tube will be left open...this should give me enough airflow to keep things cool.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Rock,
You probably know this but just in case...if you use a heat gun to form the Lexan remove the protective paper before heating. If not it will stick and it's a bear to get it off afterward. I've done some Lexan work and it will form nice but the trick is to get enough heat without warping. The heat needs to be applied over a large area with a big nozzled heat gun or the bend will not be consistant throughout its length. My crew and I did some machine guards a couple of years ago and they came out neat but we trashed a few square feet of the plastic before we found out how to do it right. Its expensive stuff and unless you feel confident you might want to stick with piecing it instead of trying to form it in one part. Just advice based on experience. Good luck, keep us posted.
Tom

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
if i was to make some side covers id use some metal vent covers,there cheap and easy to mount and work with plus they are air vents.they come in many diffrent sizes and are very cheap.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I new lexan was forgiving, as apposed to plain old plexi. thats cool to know a metal break works on these. Thanks Norm