A few questions on exhaust mods...

GoldenMotor.com

Zippster

Oct 8, 2008
Austin Texas
I've been surfing the MB forums and have found myself investigating muffler mods. Which leads me to th e few questions:

-What exactly does an expansion chamber do, and why does it help performance (if it does in the first place)?

-What factors affect the exhaust noise level, and what would make my bike sound deeper (ie. more masculine)?

-Does the orientation and the bends in a pipe affect its performance?

Looking at the examples of exhaust mods on both forums, I notice three distinct parts on the exhaust: the narrow pipe leading to the expansion chamber, the aforementioned expansion chamber, and the straight and longish section leading to the end. How do the proportions of these three parts, in width and length, affect the overall performance of the pipe? (For example I read something that the length of the pipe leading to the expansion chamber affects power band)

Finally, how does one go about modding a pipe in the first place? I noticed a lot of pocket-bike chambers with little idea on how they were mounted. I do not have access to a welder, so could I still do it?

Thanks for your patience in hopes for some clarification on this most popular of mods.