tail light/white wire ?

GoldenMotor.com

Ravenshurst

Oct 8, 2008
Tucson
I have a "baby bee" tail light, incandescent bulb, 6V 0.5 amp light. So...how much juice does the mag put out? I need a tail light soonest for riding home from work in the dark (I didn't know that I was going to be rushed on this project) Can I wire the tail light into the mag without blowing something up? Help, I need the light functional by sunday, and of course I am too poor to buy any addl stuff to make this work. In an emergency like this, I am willing to ride one night w/out a headlight, but I would be REALLY nervous on these mean streets without a tail light. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ride safe

Gonzo

Ravenshurst

Oct 8, 2008
Tucson
OK, so since I am a "scrounger" I don't yet know what headlight I will wind up with. I have a friend who is an electronics tech, and he was wondering how many volts/amps the mag puts out, to wire in the head light also. Does anyone know what kind of power is coming from the white wire? My ultimate plan will be to rebuild both the head- & tail-lights with leds. Thanks for any help.

Ride Safe.

Gonzo

freewheeling frank

Mar 10, 2009
ridgway colorado
put a volt meter on it to determine the voltage, white wire to ground. then hook up an amp gauge to it in series. amp meter, lights, ground. the meter will tell you how much current you are drawing. you can pull these out of old battery chargers etc. i dont know what these are capable of .later frank

Ravenshurst

Oct 8, 2008
Tucson
Update: I hooked up the taillight, and it blew in about 3 minutes. Apparently the mag puts out too much juice for that particular light bulb. I have one of those majick boxes with a dial on the front & 2 wires coming from it, with those spiky, shiny thingies on the ends....

63tom

Mar 22, 2009
ROEBUCK S.C.
i found my headlight at the flea market last week...guy said it was an old tractor light,its 6 volt and the perfect size for my INJUN...TRYING MY BEST TO MAKE MY BIKE LOOK LIKE AN OLD TURN OF THE CENTURY INDIAN MOTORCYCLE..i should be able to wire headlight and a tail light in series with a toggle for on and off?any tips would be apreciated...is there a way to wire in a flasher for the tail light?

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
i use a 18v cordless drill battery and 1hr quick charger from walmart.$45
i use a car 12volt clear light front and a 12volt red dome trailer light rear.$12
there wired in series to make 24volts,that way they dont burn out.
hook up a switch and inline fuse.
many many hours/days of lighting power,had mine over a year and still works.
weighs 1/2pound
i might use that white wire to power something else,but id like to keep my spark up.
but if you need cheap lights temp,ducktape a flashlight to front and back and use a red perment marker on rear flashlight lense.

Last edited:

Ravenshurst

Oct 8, 2008
Tucson
Well, the original plan, and now the (sort of) immediate plan, is to convert the baby bee to leds. I like the bullet style with the visor on the baby bee. I too am going for that old, retro look. I was originally planning to build a rechargable battery pack to power the tail light & a bullet, visor head light that I am also going to convert to led. I haven't bought the head light yet, I am still looking for a cheap one. I was going to leave the lights as purchased until I had the time to rebuild them with leds, but since the tail light is already burned out....

Ride Safe!!

Gonzo

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
I make and sell the lights for these bikes that work off the white wire. Been doing this for almost 2 years people can not believe the light that my headlight puts out very bright and the bulb lasts I have yet to burn out a bulb and I run the light day and night.
I now sell it for $30.00 shipping not included the taillight sells for $12.00 shipping not included
Norman

hombremosqa

Apr 6, 2009
salt lake city
hey, a question for you guys now that we are on the subject......

i had this idea to use a 12 volt light, BUT (and here is the thought) what if you use a 6 volt dynamo and use the 6 volts from the engine to power it up? it seems as though it would work, but i dunno if that's possible. i know some had concerns about using a wheel rub dynamo to power their lights since once you stop, you aren't very visible. i figure that using the 6 volt white wire would keep the lights on, but once you start going, it gets brighter and thus, you could use a dual/hybrid system. Any thoughts?

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
hey, a question for you guys now that we are on the subject......

i had this idea to use a 12 volt light, BUT (and here is the thought) what if you use a 6 volt dynamo and use the 6 volts from the engine to power it up? it seems as though it would work, but i dunno if that's possible. i know some had concerns about using a wheel rub dynamo to power their lights since once you stop, you aren't very visible. i figure that using the 6 volt white wire would keep the lights on, but once you start going, it gets brighter and thus, you could use a dual/hybrid system. Any thoughts?
The output from the white wire is negative as well as positive.

You will get all kinds of electrical noise only. Not useful power.
The Square law rule will defeat you. One half the power will yield one fourth the output.

Feed a 12 volt light with six volts you get DIM with some heat only.

Norman is the only one to successfully use the White wire alone to get decent results.

On my happytime I use a bottle dynamo with someones dswadg setup with a 12 volt battery and a halogen head light. Too fragile to be reliable.

This is what I am going to use on a shadow bike recumbent gp460 cvt with freewheel.
- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices with a halogen head light and a 12 volt battery.

Last edited:

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
im using a 18v cordless tool battery to power 2 12v car clearance lights(1 dual clear + 1 red).
they are hooked in series to = 24v.
they stay lit and bright for hours and can be seen far away.
1 hour to recharge.
i paided $45 plus cost of lights,switch,fuse$15

Last edited: