ghost sprocket?

GoldenMotor.com

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I see what you mean by the drawing. Theres no real adjustment there. Yet in the right set of circumstances could work. Never seen it done yet. Some folks get away with no tensioner , I am parchial to skate board wheels now very smooth. There are some nice spring loaded ones as well. A few members swear by em.

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
There was a thread a few months ago about ghost sprockets and it seems there are a few members here that use them, some even have some really cool ghost sprockets.

OzzyU812

May 15, 2008
"the bog" NH
Found a pic. He's running a really small rear sprocket, but I think I've seen them on normal size ones also.

I got the pic from "the place that shall not be named". Search - "its alive!!!"

Attachments

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I would love to see more picts. While a tensioner could cause some engine start up issues , but not really if done right. There is no adjustment with a ghost. Sorry just thinking out load here. Probably could use some examples. Sorry I could not help.

OzzyU812

May 15, 2008
"the bog" NH
I would love to see more picts. While a tensioner could cause some engine start up issues , but not really if done right. There is no adjustment with a ghost. Sorry just thinking out load here. Probably could use some examples. Sorry I could not help.

I could use some examples also. That's all I'm basically looking for. I thought I'd throw out a line and see if I get any bites. I'll leave a line in the water here and take a walk downstream and cast another.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I'm sure the guys running them will swear by them but...holy cow! I look at that and the first thing that comes to mind is that sprocket getting launched, like a steel frizzby with teeth and heading right for the back of my head. No thanks. I'll stick to my skate board wheels.
Tom

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
I'm sure the guys running them will swear by them but...holy cow! I look at that and the first thing that comes to mind is that sprocket getting launched, like a steel frizzby with teeth and heading right for the back of my head. No thanks. I'll stick to my skate board wheels.
Tom
Yeah, not sure if it's here or the other forum but search around. This topic surfaces every so often.
I recall some of the guys a while back trying this with some not so good results at speed, stories about airborne sprockets and flying buzzsaws.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
My thinking on this. If is not secured it will soon be a UFO!!(I've been wrong before)
Hit in the right /wrong spot and you will be able to sing in the little boys choir. :-|| thats going to leave a mark!
Norman

OzzyU812

May 15, 2008
"the bog" NH
They're "ghost rings" apearantly.

When I do it I'll put a rod or something in there to catch it. LOL

Here's what nogoodnic42 (on another network) said about them a couple years ago. I PMed him with fingers crossed and made a kwik sample (see pic) of some of his work.

Quoting nogoodnic42 --

I had to come up with a creative way to take the slap out of my chain. I have one of the Poo Poo Pipes that Grubee had awhile back. On top of having to tweak a couple of bends to get it to fit properly, once it was in place there was no longer anyplace for my tentioner. I had been experimenting with using a ghost ring on the pedal side just becaust I thought it looked cool. Well when I had my new pipe in place and more chain slap than I was comfortable ridding with I remembered I had an extra 22t cog laying around and decided to try it. I have around 300 miles with it in place and for the most part no problems. It has popped out a couple of times but no big deal. Heres a couple of pics...Kelly

His bike motor list:

Spitfire 48
Starfire 55
Grubee 48 roundhead
Grubee 70/80 squarehead
Solex 49cc

Attachments

Last edited: