Need advice on disk brakes

GoldenMotor.com

CruzinSTL

Apr 5, 2016
St. Louis, Mo
I have a stock 50cc motor on an older 2" cruiser bike and wanting to get disk brakes. However I have no clue where to start... Can I just buy a disk brake system for a bike? Where is the best place to buy and what are the better products that would be good for a cruisin' bike?

Thanks!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Not sure what a "2" cruiser bike" is but disc brakes require not only a hub that will take a rotor but also caliper mounts on the fork. They can be fabricated but the rotor type hub can't. You'll need to replace the front hub/rim with one made for disc brakes.

You might want to explore replacing the front fork with one from a bike that came with disc brakes along with the matching rim/hub.

Tom

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
The easiest solution would be to buy a mountain bike with a disc front end. You'll also need a 1" steerer fork for the cruiser frame with a disc tab if the mtb is not very old (most have 1.125" steelers). The components of a disc system are fork, brake caliper/lever, disc hub, disc, and caliper adapter. The caliper adapter offsets the caliper based on disc size and fork mount type. I.e. If you buy a suntour suspension fork with 1" steerer and post mount disc mount, and a disc system with a 180mm disc, you'll need a post mount 180mm disc adapter.

Also since this is a motorized bike, look for disc hubs with bolt on axles (not quick release) although a qr can be okay.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I simply welded a caliper mount to my MTB fork. You could just as easily do the same on a cruiser.
But it does require a welder and some minor fab skills to get things aligned correctly for proper brake operation.
Easiest bolt-on route would be to find a disc fork that fits your frame