A couple questions about springer forks

GoldenMotor.com

48ccFury

Apr 19, 2015
NY
The time has come when I have a little cash to throw around for a few parts. The first order of business is front suspension, specifically, a springer fork. I can't justify the expense of a triple tree or even a Monarch double sprung fork.. but I do like the option of using a cheap fork like the one I have attached.

My first question is: Will I need to get bearing races pressed onto this?

My second question is: Has anyone run one of these and had issues with them bending or deforming from a pothole or a severely bumpy road?

It seems like everyone runs the more expensive forks here, either because these forks are not worth the trouble or they're not a good ride. The thing is, I *could* save up for another week or two and get a Monarch fork and call it a day, but I'm not trying to ride this bike forever.. any help or guidance is appreciated!

Attachments

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
Those cheap, knee-action schwinn knock-offs are pretty lousy.

Stamped, thin steel tubing, cheap bolts, and weak springs.

I wouldn't trust one, but I'm sure many bikes are out there with them on.

There's a video on youtube somewhere of a fat guy crashing at about 30mph when his fork collapses.

wret

Feb 24, 2014
Maryland
I'd save your money for something a little beefier. The Sunlite springer is a great fork for the money, IMO.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
My springer fork worked find for street use. I had a threaded headset. The fork worked fine with my existing bearing cups.
[/URL][/img]