Performance parts before break in ????

GoldenMotor.com

Henshooter

Feb 10, 2014
Melbourne au
Hi all
I'm looking at ordering a performance CDI unit and it should arrive latest Monday/ Tuesday next week but I'm having slight doubts as to fitting it immediately .
See I'm on my second tank for break in and some have told me it's ok to slap it on and run ,but others have said not to fit any performance parts before breaking in the motor , now I understand porting a motor during break in is not the best scenario and fitting an expansion chamber as well but all this conflicting info has me somewhat dazed and confused
And for that matter what do you guys consider a good break in period , one manual I had for my first build stated break in is complete after either 3 full tanks or 500 km whereas my second build ( my first angle fire motor) it say 2 tanks or 300 km whichever comes first , I get roughly 100 km per tank ATM so it should just about equate to both/ either

On a side note I'd like to keep my colour scheme within their brackets ( black with gold fleck + polished Crome ) the CDI I've ordered has a red lead , would it cause any issues if I were to spray paint it black ( overheating or similar ) I understand it's a petty question but I'm not to knowledgable with 2 stroke engines but can quite easily rip a ford 250 to the ground and back again blindfolded .

Cheers for any advice you all can offer

Regards Henshooterbrnot

Thunderhead289

Jul 2, 2013
an iowa corn field
don't paint the wire. it will just flake off and look bad. as longer as your not boosting compression, leaning it out, or reducing backpressure, you really should be 100 percent fine.

just don't want to run lean with a potent coil regardless of break in period or not.

massdrive

Oct 3, 2013
Las Vegas
Well not sure what other are doing, but I put a complete performance top end on a brand new never been run 66cc china engine. I ran 16:1 fuel ratio for the first 100 miles than ran 32:1 for about 200 miles and recently switched to opti2 running at a 128:1.1 ratio. So fare so good...

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
Does the new wire press on/unscrew?
May be able to buy a black lead for it?
When running a motor in, I believe it is good to use the complete rev range you intend to use the motor at, but not so much WOT, and holding prolonged high revs.
I'm not sure what this not doing performance Mods before Break in is really all about, getting the most out of your performance mods to early seems more to the point.
I find it easier to tune a motor properly with a better than standard exhaust, but probably because the motor isn't as 'fussy' with the standard pipe. main thing really is keeping an eye on the motor temp during break in. If this performance Cdi actually does make your motor run cooler, smother, ect. then It would be a good addition from the start or when ever.
Waiting till after break in to raise the compression considerably would probably be a good idea.
Other wise I say bring on the Mods.

Henshooter

Feb 10, 2014
Melbourne au
I say bring on the Mods.
And a huge thank you to you THEON ,got the parts today and come breakin overtime she will be one powerful beasty
Really appreciate the kindness mate and damn you've done a sweet job of porting it , and the carby is a great backup edition ,much appreciated my friend

Kindest regards Sean

Thunderhead289

Jul 2, 2013
an iowa corn field
now now, don't be an askhole. I warn you against reducing back pressure until the break in period has ended. while the rings seat the chamber will be heated more than usual and you want as much back pressure as possible to keep the chamber cool so it doesn't prematurely wear the cylinder walls.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
an easy fix for the red wire is to get some black heat shrink tubing and cover it up. there won't be any heat issues.

as far as mods go, i think the main reason some recommend against it till after break-in, is because most people asking this question are new to the game. it's good to understand how these motors work before spending money on hop up parts or digging into the interals.

once you have the basic knowledge needed to keep these motors alive, there's no reason why you can't mod it right out of the box.

i tear down brand new engines, port them, tweak them, build pipes, swap heads, and whatever else i can think of and race them the next day.

if built right, a performance motor requires very little break in. rings will seat immediately and i run full throttle as soon as i get the bike started. i run them a little rich for the first ride, then tune the mixture to whatever works the best for it.

i don't believe in running tank after tank of an overly rich mixture, smoking and sputtering along for weeks. i run them hard and fast on whatever mixture i plan on using for the rest of it's life.

longevity can suffer on a full built race motor, but as long as it makes it thru race day i'm happy with it.

on street bikes, i've modded engines and ran them flat out for hours in their first real rides. my breakin consists of retorqueing the head, checking the plug, making sure nothings loose or gonna fall off, then bombing it down the street.

even a stock engine can be made to run at it's best from day one.

obviously, you're results may vary, and it depends on if you're playing it safe and want a bike to putt around on and get you back and forth everyday, or if you're like me, and you just want to go fast and don't mind sacrificing cheap chinee engines to the gods of destruction now and the...

my first bike was the only one i followed the outdated break in recommendations, and it ran slow and crappy it's whole life.

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
Me Too.
I'm easy on the motor for the first couple of laps while I'm retorqueing it/ Tunning it.
Then let's see what she'll do.
But do keep an eye on the temp as she may run a little hotter as the rings bed.
If your motor was put together poorly in China, no amount of 'Break in' will make it better.
But it may run a little better after a tank or two.
Personaly if a motor don't run right/can't be tuned right, pull it down, find out why.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
as far as mods go, i think the main reason some recommend against it till after break-in, is because most people asking this question are new to the game. it's good to understand how these motors work before spending money on hop up parts or digging into the interals.
This is what I feel srongly about. This forum was established to help folks get a motorized bicycle up and running.
It doesn't take much reading to see that a majority of the questions asked come from first time builders. They really need to learn the basics before starting to worry about top performance. A modified engine will always be a little finicky/temperamental and they have enough to worry about getting a stock engine to run right.

If you're experienced, know what the results might be with a certain modification or part, then go for it. But as for offering advice to a new builder, I say keep it simple until you have some miles under your belt.

Tom

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
If you're experienced, know what the results might be with a certain modification or part, then go for it. But as for offering advice to a new builder, I say keep it simple until you have some miles under your belt.

Tom
Well said, Tom.

If you're new to motorised bikes, go in small steps.. if you've already got one or two behind you you probably have the experience to mod and adjust before the first start-up.

The first two I put together are pretty 'standard' except of the 'Speed NT' carb on my beast and the non-stock drive sprockets on the rear wheels. The cruiser woke up for the first time with expansion chamber leading to muffler, speed carb, piston skirt cut on the intake side and a few other things. Granted, it was a b*tch and blew the head gasket every time for the first four or five starts, but I got it sorted out.

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
I'm giving my newest motor every mod I can afford from the start, If it doesn't pull wheelies, in the first tank of juice, I'll probably pull it apart and try and fix the 'problem'.
If I damage a piston and barrel along the way, it costs less than $100 to get all the bits you need to rebuild the motor, Don't be afraid to get the most out of one of these motors,
If you have the skill to do it, you'll do it even better next time, There 'cheap fun'.
And I understand that there are others that are happy with there standard bikes, but they're probably not reading this.
I understand that some do not have the 'ability's/tooling' to do what others do, others don't have the time.
I believe the best thing to do, once you've had a Ht for a bit, Is build another!
Start from scratch, do a bit of research, find a 'better' motor, and build it up to suit what you want it to do.
We're not all looking for the 'fastest' bike,
50Mph on a push bike is fast enough for me.
I've done it, I'll do it again, but not everyday.
When I build a motor, I run it for a few hours, then lift the head, quick inspection and torque it down again, tells me if my piston is getting to hot, ight amount of oil, and if the rings and barrel are bedding in nice. Then I take her out and strap **** out of her.
But I couldn't care the least bit of getting 3000 Miles out of the motor, she'll be 'back in the shop for upgrades' before then.