Shimano 3 Speed Rear Hub from a Free Spirit any good for a Motorized Bicycle?

GoldenMotor.com

KeithSeymour

Sep 23, 2013
Northern Virginia
I recently picked up a 1984 Free Spirit (sears) Ladies bike from CL for $35. I bought it for spare parts to put on my 1952 Road Master BTR build. I had other plans to go with a coaster break but this bike has a shimano 3 speed rear hub (not sure the exact model). I like the idea of being able to shift with the motor and without a derailleur but question the strength/ durability of a department store bike hub. I've heard good things about the Nexus 3 speed but not sure about this one. Can anyone vouch for these or have experience with them on a motorized bike?

Here's what I was going to buy but maybe I'll still buy it and lace the 3 speed hub onto it?
http://www.amazon.com/Weinmann-DH-3...TF8&colid=1VAN5GB8VMYKZ&coliid=I3GAFTZ8OGOU2O

Thanks in advance for your help!

Keith

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Re: Shimano 3 Speed Rear Hub from a Free Spirit any good for motorized bicycle?

Considering that it'll save you fifty bucks and give you three speeds, I'd go with the Shimano.

Not that I can say from experience that that particular hub is up to the task. I've never owned one. But Shimano has a reputation for quality.

It would surprise me if that hub can't stand up to reasonable treatment.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota

Don't know about the Shimano. Can say that the old Sturmey Archer 3 speed hubs rescued from 70's bikes do not hold up under motor power... although the new ones currently for sale do as they are more robust. Bought one to use with an SBP shift kit, but not yet on the road. Good luck!
SB

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.

Not sure about the 3-speed hub you have but I can tell you that the Shimano Nexus 3-speed hub w/disc brake held up for almost a week on my tandem powered with a Kawasaki 120cc 4-stroke engine. That's all I can tell you and I didn't push it hard while shifting and it was adjusted properly.

KeithSeymour

Sep 23, 2013
Northern Virginia

Good to know. I think I'll rock it for a little bit with some pedal power until I get my motor kit. I'll plan on getting the Husky, worksman, or Weinmann coaster brake wheel when I actually get my kit. As for the front, I've definitely landed on the sturmey archer front drum Husky wheel. I was a little hesitant only having one brake to depend on if I stayed with the 3 speed hub anyways. Thanks for the advice!

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN

Not sure about the 3-speed hub you have but I can tell you that the Shimano Nexus 3-speed hub w/disc brake held up for almost a week on my tandem powered with a Kawasaki 120cc 4-stroke engine. That's all I can tell you and I didn't push it hard while shifting and it was adjusted properly.
Scotto do you think the Shimano Nexus 3 speed could have held up better with a smaller engine like the Honda GXH 50 QXA?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

Keith,
you do know that in order to use the bike's gears you'll need to install a shift kit, don't you? You haven't mentioned it, just that you want to use the gears. Just didn't want you to get a rude surprise down the road. :)

Tom

KeithSeymour

Sep 23, 2013
Northern Virginia

Keith,
you do know that in order to use the bike's gears you'll need to install a shift kit, don't you? You haven't mentioned it, just that you want to use the gears. Just didn't want you to get a rude surprise down the road. :)

Tom
Good point. I completely forgot about the extra cost of a shift kit. Definitely going with a heavy duty coaster rear wheel. Anyone want to buy a free spirit wheel set with a Shimano 3speed hub? :)brnot